URS Corporation, an AECOM company

2.5

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in September 2013.

I'll be brief : (biased toward negative, however a collective view on the reader is strongly advised)

Their HR department does a good job of setting up the interview and communicate thoroughly.

However, the management and interviewers rank very poorly in my many years of work experience as a Professional Engineer and years of experience in interviews and engineering consulting. They basically give you a massive false hope for the job and a sense of urgent need on a job to a level that you almost basically give notice to current career. BUT be careful NOT to do so .

My experience:
    1- was that they wanted to interview me a for senior engineer position, but when I showed up for the interview after one of month of organizing for the interview, timing issues,... , they said they have somebody for that position and they are looking for a much junior position!

2- The junior position was to start "immediately" and I sensed that they were just kicking the tires in the tight British Columbia, Canada engineering consulting market and giving some false hopes to potentials, So I provided that I like to move forward with their junior position they are offering and communicated that to their HR, interviewer(s) by email and phone message after after the interview process.

3- No answers for couple of weeks, until I followed up the followup by calling one of the VP interviewers on the provided cell to get an update. Response was "we are still evaluating the offered position and we will let you know". Was that a joke or lack of integrity and professionalism, I would let the reader to judge based on this brief experience.

I would give one advice to all North American fellow engineers and other professionals:

1- Due to economic conditions in North America, a lot of engineering consulting companies are able to get away with their hiring, firing, and employe(r) royalty Mal-practices, lack of integrity, and their hire/fire practices. At the end, the engineer or technical professional always is the damaged product and always ends up in the street. Having your own best interest in mind is a good policy to follow. The royalty era is to be framed and be sold in small town antique shops.

2- Engineers are being thought in many school events and lectures to talk about knowledge modesty, however, a slight "fake it until you make it" within reach usually helps you to exceed in your field if you are the ambitious type.

Disclosure : I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • unexpected : going for senior position, telling you that position is already fulfilled but there is this really junior position available. do you want it ?   View Answer

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online – interviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in March 2012.

Applied on-line, first contact with recruiter a phone call then within a week called for interview with recruiter and HR manager.

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort McMurray, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort McMurray, AB

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in December 2011.

interview was great, old school, by an awesome person who had worked there for 25 years, not like these retarded behavior based interviews by some dumb hr person, who has never worked. It has been said that the behavior based interviews weed out the good people, and actually hire people who should not have been hired.....

Interview Questions
    • the questions were normal and the interview was great, and I in turn, did a great job!   View Answer
    negotiate, once they make an offer, because then you know that they want you.....

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in June 2011.

had a phone screen interview for appoximately 45 minutes with basic questions and an interperson interview over a month later. Very slow process and no communication bettween phone screen and actual face to face interview. It took them almost 3 weeks to call back to book the face to face.

Interview Questions
    not much room for negotiation

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

Good interview process. I had an initial phone interview lasting about half an hour. These were fairly straightforward questions. My in-person interview was a panel of 6 employees, which was very intimidating to start with. I started my interview with the woman that would have been my direct supervisor, which lasted for about 15 mins. Then the whole panel came in and asked questions for about 45 mins. Everyone was very personable and friendly. Given a quick tour of the office after the interview and was sent home! They called my references the next day and I was given a great offer.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly very generic HR/behavioral questions "tell me about a time you..." and "are you willing to do..."   Answer Question

Decided to pursue other options. Still a great company and I imagine I would have been more than happy to work for them.

Project Manager Interview

I expected considerably more professionalism and consideration of more than a decade of experience in lieu of a formal degree for what is essentially, a field position. The interview questions did not accurately represent the job at hand and the interviewer was not approachable to address anything other than what her script reflected. The epitome of a HR being disconnected from the realities of the actual work performed by the company.

Interview Questions
    • Asking how to deal with sexual advances.   View Answer

IT Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

I was presented by an HR recruiter. Standard phone interview with the hiring manager followed bya 4 hour onsite interview with 4 people (one was a group of 3). Lunch with 3 managers.

Typical questions about my expertise and experience. Some technical questions, nothing too hard.

Interview Questions
    • How do you build momentum and acceptance for a new technology?   Answer Question
    The offer met my expectation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

There was not an actual interview. Applied online for an overseas job and there was only email traffic regarding available dates and paperwork. There was an immediate need to fill the position and as long as I passed the necessary medical exams I was hired. It seemed sort of sketchy considering that nobody needed to talk to me about anything. They never really gave much information on the project either.

Accountant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

Phone interview was quick and painless. Recruiter had prepared me for the areas to focus on for this particular role. the manager was far less experienced than I expected and was relatively new to the role at a few months - so they couldn't really answer the questions sufficiently.

Billing Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

Two step process with current employees. I felt as if they already knew who they wanted but were going through the steps to make it seem fair. The interview went well, I felt very positive, received both the one on one interview and the panel interview, yet did not receive the job. Asked later for pointers on how to improve interview next or for feedback that would help me to avoid any danger areas that I may have stumbled into, never received follow-up.