URS Corporation Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr, 2015

2.5

Operational Assessment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

Application

interviewed at URS Corporation (Calgary, AB) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and then received call from recruiter for phone interview. Spoke with the recruiter who don't have a good english language skills. Recruiter must have been english as a second language speaker. There were a few time when the recruiter had a hard time understanding what I was saying and recruiter also talking with a bit of broken english.

Recruiter asking for a very detailed and long question about my experience including a series of key skill based question such as do I have experience with inventory management/audit/etc and if I do, how do I rate myself using 1 to 3 rating system where 1 mean I don't have experience at all, 2 mean I can do the job with training, and 3 mean I can do the job without training. Recruiter also asking for my salary requirements in which I replied asking what's their salary range for the position. The recruiter answered: "whatever you want".

A week after, I call the recruiter just to check my candidacy status and the recruiter said: "if a recruiter want to invite you for an interview, they will call you directly". I was then asking her whether she is indeed the recruiter and if she's not the recruiter then who she really is? The recruiter, or whomever that I spoke with, gave me an obscure answer. That said, not sure if this person is a recruiter assistant or if she's just deflecting, and in doing so also lying, answering my question regarding my status.

Interview Questions

• In addition to a detailed question regarding our past experience, there were around 10 key skills question in which we have to rate our own skills.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation (Vancouver, BC) in September 2013.

Interview

I'll be brief : (biased toward negative, however a collective view on the reader is strongly advised)

Their HR department does a good job of setting up the interview and communicate thoroughly.

However, the management and interviewers rank very poorly in my many years of work experience as a Professional Engineer and years of experience in interviews and engineering consulting. They basically give you a massive false hope for the job and a sense of urgent need on a job to a level that you almost basically give notice to current career. BUT be careful NOT to do so .

My experience:
    1- was that they wanted to interview me a for senior engineer position, but when I showed up for the interview after one of month of organizing for the interview, timing issues,... , they said they have somebody for that position and they are looking for a much junior position!

2- The junior position was to start "immediately" and I sensed that they were just kicking the tires in the tight British Columbia, Canada engineering consulting market and giving some false hopes to potentials, So I provided that I like to move forward with their junior position they are offering and communicated that to their HR, interviewer(s) by email and phone message after after the interview process.

3- No answers for couple of weeks, until I followed up the followup by calling one of the VP interviewers on the provided cell to get an update. Response was "we are still evaluating the offered position and we will let you know". Was that a joke or lack of integrity and professionalism, I would let the reader to judge based on this brief experience.

I would give one advice to all North American fellow engineers and other professionals:

1- Due to economic conditions in North America, a lot of engineering consulting companies are able to get away with their hiring, firing, and employe(r) royalty Mal-practices, lack of integrity, and their hire/fire practices. At the end, the engineer or technical professional always is the damaged product and always ends up in the street. Having your own best interest in mind is a good policy to follow. The royalty era is to be framed and be sold in small town antique shops.

2- Engineers are being thought in many school events and lectures to talk about knowledge modesty, however, a slight "fake it until you make it" within reach usually helps you to exceed in your field if you are the ambitious type.

Disclosure : I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• unexpected : going for senior position, telling you that position is already fulfilled but there is this really junior position available. do you want it ?   1 Answer

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied online – interviewed at URS Corporation (Calgary, AB) in March 2012.

Interview

Applied on-line, first contact with recruiter a phone call then within a week called for interview with recruiter and HR manager.

Interview Questions

• All questions were easy to answer   1 Answer

Site Supervisor/Safety Adviser/Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort McMurray, AB

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at URS Corporation (Fort McMurray, AB) in December 2011.

Interview

interview was great, old school, by an awesome person who had worked there for 25 years, not like these retarded behavior based interviews by some dumb hr person, who has never worked. It has been said that the behavior based interviews weed out the good people, and actually hire people who should not have been hired.....

Interview Questions

• the questions were normal and the interview was great, and I in turn, did a great job!   1 Answer

Negotiation

negotiate, once they make an offer, because then you know that they want you.....

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation (Calgary, AB) in June 2011.

Interview

had a phone screen interview for appoximately 45 minutes with basic questions and an interperson interview over a month later. Very slow process and no communication bettween phone screen and actual face to face interview. It took them almost 3 weeks to call back to book the face to face.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not much room for negotiation

Environmental Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at URS Corporation.

Interview

Met with 5 staff members including several project managers and the department head. I was asked general questions about my resume, my experience and student projects while in college. It lasted several hours and was followed up by a phone call from the department head.

Interview Questions

• Details about an engineering project during my jr and sr years of college.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at URS Corporation.

Interview

Interviewed with a panel. Hiring manager I could tell immediately I wouldn't want to work for him and that I would not be a good fit. He seemed pretty childish and ill prepared. The other guy was very professional and prepared. If he were the manger I would have felt different about the job. I had a phone screening and a interview. Screening went well, but I lost interest in the follow-up interview especially when they wouldn't tell why employees had left the position. Seemed like there was a problem. I am not disheartened at all about not getting an offer. Lastly, manger lied in call. These types are the worst to work for... Serious red flag for me. I didn't ask when I should expect to hear from them or anything. I am sure my disinterest was displayed.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer wasn't prepared. I asked most of the questions. Any questions pertained to my experience.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online through URS portal. After 1 month they contacted me for a telephone interview with the project manager.I did not have a HR interview. I had a 30 minutes phone call conversation where the questions were mostly technical and team related. I got a call from the HR within one week saying that I was selected for the next round which was a skype call interview with multiple project managers. As the job location was far from the place I lived, they wanted to complete the entire process on phone.They asked me questions for about an hour which were highly technical and a couple of them were related to my managerial skills.

Environmental Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation (Buffalo, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I was notified by my adviser that URS was looking for an entry-level environmental engineer. I contacted them and applied, and very soon after got an interview. The interview was mostly for me to elaborate on my experience and also for me to ask any questions I had, as well as to meet a few of the people in the office.

Nondestructive Inpsector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at URS Corporation (Las Cruces, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Very Simple process that allowed for real explanation of my personal abilities and how I have been able to perform in the previous situations. Overall it was a situation you really want to be in when you are getting interviewed.