UCLA Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct, 2014
Updated 29 Oct, 2014

2.6

Peer Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

Very straightforward. First round interview was behavioral (why do you want this job, what's a defining leadership experience, etc.) Second round interview was to work with a team to create a presentation that would be given to a hypothetical group of students. That was a bit tough, because you want to stand out but not be too dominant.

Summer Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

The interview was for a undergraduate research position that opened up for the duration of the summer quarter at UCLA. I found a listing for the position online and emailed my resume and cover letter. I received a request for an interview within the week. The lab where I interviewed was affiliated with the Brain Research institute. The interview was non-formal and was conducted by the lab's PI.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was about my experience with fMRI. Since my experience was limited and my exposure to the technique was limited to the classroom setting, I struggled.   Answer Question

Child Development Specialist Interview

1 interview. nice and informal yet still professional. i spoke with the director and we discussed the school, i got a tour of the school, met employees, and teachers and visited classrooms and what not. it was a nice experience and i also got to look at the schol and discusss the curriculum wih the director and things of that nature.

Faculty Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UCLA in September 2014.

I applied online as that's the only way to apply nowadays. If you want to work at UCLA, go to their careers website. I was called 2-3 weeks after I applied and was given no indication that a phone interview was going to take place at the moment. It took 20-30 minutes. I never got a call or email back about the status of my candidacy.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at UCLA.

I was originally hired as a research assistant while getting my PhD. I basically got the job after a brief conversation in the hall. I already had a Master's degree. I continued to work at the Center for twelve years, taking on new projects. When I completed my PhD, I was given faculty status.

There was no negotiation. Salary was set according to a grant.

Lab Helper Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

interview about job, just ask questions on what kinda of person you are, what major you are and ask you about past jobs. They then show you the lab and introduce you to everyone and introduce you to the pi. They tell you there are chances for independent research after a year at the job.

none

Faculty Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UCLA.

Worst interview experience. I declined my offer in the end because of how rude the interviewers were to me. I was called a few days after applying to schedule a phone interview, then called the very next day to schedule an in-person interview for 2 days from then. I was NEVER told it was going to be a panel interview, nor told or given an apology for having the in-person interview under such short notice when everyone else was interviewing a week later. When I finally had the interview for this *entry level job*, the interviewers were the most confrontational, unfriendly, and unwelcoming interviewers. I wish I'd have complained to their boss. They would cut me off during my answers. Act dismissive towards any answer I gave, as if I was lying about very detailed facts like my GPA or my alma mater. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what my GPA was and then would challenge me as if they didn't believe me. They would ask "how does this make you feel" questions when referring tough responsibilities.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

It's a LONG process, I think it varies for each department but usually you do a phone interview, then an in person interview with various people. Questions are not hard. Campus is huge so give yourself enough time to get lost if you're not familiar with the campus.

Interview Questions
    • General questions, nothing out of the ordinary - "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "What would you say your previous employer would tell us you need to work on?" , etc.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, union job

Postgraduate Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

In person interview was formal, with an emphasis on technical questions. The hiring decision was made based upon recommendation letters, personal interviews, and an overall acceptance by the group I was going to work in. In general, it was a pretty standard postdoc interview process. I think anybody interviewing here should prepare for many questions about their prior research.

Student Assistant Interview

received a call from the very friendly supervisor asking if i would be interested in doing a face-to-face interview. i had one interview with the supervisor and she was very casual and easygoing. she called me later that night with a job offer. a couple weeks later i had an orientation and my first day of training.

Interview Questions
    • how my previous work experience would help me with the position.   Answer Question