Travelers Companies

Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated 14 Dec, 2014
Updated 14 Dec, 2014

Auto Appraiser Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2014.

This process includes 5 rounds of interviews/meetings (including two phone interviews). The first is an initial Human Resources Screening (phone interview). Followed by a face-to-face interview with the Product Line Manager. The third and fourth meetings are combined into one visit, as you meet with the direct supervisors of the position which you are applying, and you also are required to conduct a peer meeting, which is speaking with someone who is already in the position which you are applying for. Lastly, you conduct one final one hour interview with Human Resources (phone interview) to review all the information you received.

The initial call acknowledged receipt of my online application, and arranged a time for the first phone interview. A few days later, the Human Resources phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was advised that the hiring team would review the phone interview information, and select candidates to move forward. The HR rep provides contact information to check the status of your application weekly.

About two weeks later, I received a call to schedule a face-to-face interview. I met with the Product Line Manager, who I learned managed the supervisors of the position I applied for. This interview lasted about 45 minutes. In hindsight, this interview was the most critical. Essentially, if your boss' boss approves of you, you're halfway there.

About ten days later, I received a call from the supervisors to schedule an interview. This meeting was more informal, gave me a chance to learn more about the day-to-day duties of the position. This meeting lasted about 45 minutes as well, and was more an informative session than an interview. During the same meeting, I conducted a peer interview. This gave me a chance to speak with someone already in the position, and ask any questions. Again, more informative than anything.

Lastly, I received a call from Human Resources to schedule my final interview. This phone interview lasted one hour, and reviewed all the information you learned thus far. The main point of this call was to "fill in the gaps", make sure that all of the necessary information was conveyed throughout the interview process. The HR representative advised a two week follow up window for a decision.

I was contacted in one week. It will usually be on a Monday or a Tuesday. From the date of the offer, you will have 48 hours to complete your drug test. If you don't complete the test within that time, your offer will be revoked and you will not be considered for any position with Travelers for six months. For this reason, you usually won't hear back on a Thursday or Friday, as most drug testing locations are open during business days.

Questions are very straight forward, no brain teasers, no gimmicks. The goal of each discussion is to review your background, identify your strengths and what you do well, identify your weaknesses and discuss issues you've had in the past regarding your responsibilities (especially if those same issues are likely to reoccur in the position you are interviewing for), and discuss your willingness and ability to adapt to your new role.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Give me an example of a time you had to manage your own schedule? 2. Do you like vehicles? 3. What is your method of prioritizing multiple tasks, give me an example of when you had to do this?   Answer Question
    No negotiation necessary. You won't find another offer in the industry higher.

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2014.

Interviewer was professional and courteous. I heard from others that they typically ask about 25 questions from a list of questions, and they range from "What is a strength you have..." to "Give an example of a time where you were accurately able to predict future difficulties with a project." The interview was only for about 30 minutes, but it wasn't a threatening environment.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time where you were accurately able to predict future difficulties with a project.   View Answer

Inside Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2014.

I submitted my application online and about two weeks later I received a phone call from them. I set up an appointment to have an interview later on that week. That's as far as I have gone. The most difficult part is preparing for the interview. Just be sure you reflect on situations that have occurred in your current or past job(s). That's what I've been doing. Keep on reading about behavioral questions. Its a helpful tool.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part question so far for me is: "Give an example of one of your weakness?"   Answer Question

Actuarial Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2014.

An on-campus interview for me. Most of the questions were behavioral. There was only one technical question. Be knowledgable of the company and its product. There were too many people from my school applying so I didn't get to second round because of that. Having passed one exam is desirable. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • How much gas would be sold each day from a gas station? Provide your reasoning.   Answer Question

In-House Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2014.

The interview process is long an exhausting. It is a process which involves telephone interviews and multiple in-person interviews. It will take many, many months to go through the process, as well as many, many months to learn about the results. The interviewers are pleasant and engaging, however.

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to be well prepared for the interview and have a good understanding about the work you will do and the corporate culture.   Answer Question

IT Internt Program Interview

This was a great company. The hiring was excellent and very fast. They took me to Hartford and it was a blast. The Interviews were not that bad. It was technical and behavior. There was 5 interviews with different people. They were very friendly and it was a good place to be. I highly recommend Travelers.

Interview Questions
    • If you have 10 cars, with a only a 3 lane circuit (as NASCAR). The 3 lane circuit does not tell you the time, it only tell you the winner of that race. How do you determine the winner from the 10 cars?   Answer Question

FMLDP Interview

Basic behavioral questions were asked, as well as several insurance specific questions. Questions such as "difference between an actuary and underwriter" and your typical finance interview questions. After the initial round interview, there were three more back to back interviews, one with a VP, another with a previous participant, and finally with the program director.

Claims Representative Auto Interview

There is an initial phone interview in which they primarily describe the job and salary requirements. If you pass that you are asked to come in for a group interview. You are paired off with an interviewer, asked fairly routine questions about your work habits, organizational skills and how you deal with timeline and difficult clients/customers. Your responses are rated and scored and if you pass you are invited to come back and take an assessment. My assessment was a timed paper test consisting of 8 parts multiple choice questions. We were also asked to submit a writing sample. Your were given a prompt and asked to write a written response in word, in my case it consisted of a letter from a customer whose claim was denied. We were told why the claim was denied and asked to write a letter to the customer explaining to reason.

Interview Questions
    • Initial interview consisted of questions such as: describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult client/customer. Describe your organizational skills/methods. ect....   Answer Question

Premium Auditor Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Very long response time. It took from date applied online to the first contact via email which included 11 questions about a couple of wks. Then I heard nothing back. I rec'd a phone call and message left on my cell about a month later wanting to set up a phone interview. I returned the call and left 2 phone messages with no response. One month later I get an email from another person asking if I am still interested and sorry the ball was dropped.
    Then I rec'd a response for a phone interview which took about 40 min. I was told by end of wk I would hear back of a possible interview if they were interested. I heard nothing by end of wk and Monday nothing. So I did a follow up email a cpl days later then a cpl days after that I was told this person was out of the office and they were still considering me. I rec'd a call to set up a time for an Assessment test 4 sections each 20 min long. I was not told I would be having any kind of an interview this day just come in for an Assessment test. Much to my surprise I had an hour long interview, one in person the other on the phone. I guess that went well as they then wanted me to do the Assessment test. Pressure on this test as it was timed and he was coming to get your sheet for each section. I didn't get all the way through the first test but he took it anyway and before I had answered 3 of the questions on the next test he came back and said I didn't pass the first test and there was no reason to move forward. UMMMMM guess there is no average here. YOU MUST SCORE HIGH ON EACH ONE to move fwd. This ended ok for me because during the test I seen a call came through and later found it was an offer for a position I applied for and hired me within 5 days of the whole process. Good money and job no test.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me questions of a subject I had never experienced. I couldn't answer it as I was never put in that position. These questions would only be important if you have ever been exposed to them.   View Answer

Auto Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Travelers Companies in September 2014.

First I was contacted by the Recruiter who scheduled a phone interview. This took about 30 minutes with mainly questions about my work history and general behavioral questions. I was contacted to take the assessment test (3 hours) This test was very overwhelming because of the short timeframe given to complete the sections (7 - 8 sections). I was contacted 2 days later to be told I passed the assessment test and wanted to schedule a face to face with a unit manager. This was a panel interview with LOTS of behavioral questions and questions about your work history (what did you do in a previous role) I then met with one of the ladies from the department that went over the job and allowed me to ask questions...I then had an interview with an associate manager and a higher up manager. I left feeling okay about the whole ordeal but am now just waiting to hear one way or the other. The entire hiring process is very intense. Be prepared!!!!

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness?
      Why do you want to work for Travelers?

Answer Question