Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2014
482 interviews

2.3

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online . They called me back about 2 weeks later. The questions were in general simple and the interview lasted 15mins. The manager was really gentle and friendly and i was interviewed alone. The manager had other people to interview so he was trying to make it fast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

So I applied online for this position, and got a call back a day after for an interview. My interview was not group, it was 1 on 1 with the manager. The interview did seem a bit rushed, it took about 10 minutes, because he had other people waiting to be interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time you had a difficult customer at a previous job, or group for a project at school and what did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
    Anonymous Employee in Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2013.

I was interviewed by the head of Toys R Us Quebec, so I knew right off the bat that it was going to be tough. I could tell that he grew disinterested in me, and we'd only been speaking for roughly 90 seconds. He continued to converse with me, but he was just killing time and waiting for me to stop talking. It was rather nerve wracking and frustrating. He ended the interview saying that if he needs me, he will call me. Which basically meant that I had failed the interview (They were hiring on the spot).

Interview Questions
    • I understand why you want to work for us, but tell me WHY should I hire YOU?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2011.

First off I handed in my resume in person, and it was lucky because i got to talk to the manager and hand my resume in to her to look over. then she said it was good I handed it in because they needed lots of seasonal staff. A week later they gave me a call and left a message saying they would love for me to come in for an interview. on the day of the interview i came in ten minutes early and since we have a toys r us in the mall we didnt head to a back room or anything, she just lead me outside the store and sat on a near by bench with me and had my resume and a sheet of standard interview questions to ask, she then told me a little bit about the position and what I would be doing if i got hired, surely enough it was over in ten minutes, they said they would call me at the end of the week to let me know if I got it.

Anonymous Employee  in  Etobicoke, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

The interview was very detailed and precise, I actually didn't think it would take that long. It was actually a job fair that they had at the location, but each interview was about 15 minutes long. I think that was because they were hiring some people on the spot. After waiting in line, I eventually got up to the manager and he asked me why I wanted to work there, whether I'd have a problem selling etc. I thought it went pretty good, now I'm waiting for a call back.

Human Resources Department Supervisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2012.

This is a three part interview.

The first is a general phone pre-screening from the Store Manager or HRDS. The questions are very general: "We work hard to play hard. Is this a type of company you would want to work for?" Pretty hokey takes five minutes.

The second is a selling interaction that was conducted by the Assistant Store Manager and Store Manager. This will go one of two ways. They will ask you to go to the floor, pick and object and sell it to them. Otherwise, they will have a table of merchandise and have you role play with the assistant manager. The second part to the second half has to do with teamwork and selling. You will be given a bag of blocks or legos and given 10 minutes to build and sell something with the person that you are interviewing against.

The third part was an interview with the Store Manager. The other person you are interviewing against is invited to walk the salesfloor to observe day to day operations. The questions are very situationally based around basic working in retail behaviors; How do you communicate? Do you like working in a team? Tell me about a time you solved a problem.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember, but it was very centric around selling merchandise. I figure if I can recruit and sell a corporation I can BS and sell a swaddle.   View Answer
    I asked what they payscale was like for this store and district. They said 8-12 dollars. I told them I wanted 12 so they brought in the regional HR Manager to conduct an informal follow up interview. He made fun of my shoes and made me the offer.

Department Supervisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2012.

One group interview. We grabbed a toy and had to sell that toy to the three managers in the room. We got to know each other and one by one we got up to represent our toy.

Interview Questions
    They said this is what your going to make and that was it.

Maintenance/Housekeeping Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The entire process took about 4 to 5 days. I completed an application online and that very same day I received a phone call. I was told that they would be interviewing people the very next day and I was asked would I be able to make it. The interview was a one on one interview with 2 managers. There were 2 other candidates there and I was interviewed last.The environment was very calm and I felt pretty comfortable. The questions they asked were pretty typical. They asked, How does my past experience relate to the position I am applying for? Why am I interested in working for Toys 'R' Us?

Interview Questions
    • How does your past experience relate to the position you are applying for?   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in June 2013.

The interview process was quite relaxing and comforting for a group interview. After getting to know a little bit about everyone we split up into smaller groups and were given a box full of legos and were asked to create a toy and try our best to brand and sell it. Afterwards they just chose who they feel are the better candidates for toys r us.

Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

I applied online on either Sunday or Monday. Got a call from the HR lady on Tuesday. Interview was Thursday. This was for the Times Square location.

There were 8 people there including myself. First we made name tags using an adjective that describes you. The adjective had to start with the same letter as your first name. So I suggest you go in knowing an adjective that you're going to use. We briefly introduced ourselves and explained why we picked that adjective.

After that, we were broken into 3 groups, and had to build a toy out of Legos. We also had to make up a company name, slogan, jingle, the name of the product, the age range, and a special feature. And I'm forgetting something else. We had twenty minutes to do all of this. Make sure that you are actively participating in the group, and that everyone gets a turn to present. It was a very relaxed and laid back environment. I am usually not the most talkative person in social situations, and if I was relaxed, you will be too.

Once everyone had presented, they had us pick an item that you brought with you, (could be anything - I picked Chapstick) and you had to try and sell it to them.

Out of eight people, seven got a 1:1 interview. One guy wore saggy jeans and a t-shirt and still got an interview. (I still don't recommend doing this.) I was first up, so I didn't have a lot of time to get super worked up and nervous. I think I did a lot worse on this part of the interview.

First an HR rep asked me some questions! briefly went outside, and then walked in another woman! head of a specific department. They said they thought I would be briefly suited for that position instead. The interview included questions like "tell me about yourself," "what would you do if this happened," "how long do you want to work here." I stumbled on some words, but I think I did a pretty good job answering their questions. She also gave me a job description and asked about my availability. The only part I didn't like was when the second woman asked me how old I am. I'm 17, but will be 18 in a week. She said, and I quote, "I wouldn't put you past two." Yes, I know I look young, but I definitely do not look two. 13, yeah. I thought that was a little rude of her. Anyway, she walked out and the first HR woman came in a minute afterwards. She told me that they will have to wait until I turn 18, then they can run a background check, and will call me once they do. I was offered the job.

Overall, the interview was very relaxed and informal. I wore black pants and a grey blouse.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation took place. They pay $8.50 and hour and I'm fine with that.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!