Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep, 2014
Updated 25 Sep, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

I applied online, and the manager called a day later to set up an interview. I had to wait for a bit in the store for the manager to be ready, but she apologized and explained why it took so long. She then took me to a back room and asked me basic interview questions like "why should I hire you" and "are you ok working under pressure" and other similar questions. She was very nice and the interview was pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, they were all very basic and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

I applied online and got called around 2-4 days after posting. I had to call them back because I had miss their call since I wasn't there during the weekend. Prior to the interview, I surged on their main web site both the one in Canada and USA, also on Wikipedia to learn on their company. I also surged on every pages of GlassDoor in the interview sections to learn what I had to be expecting. I write down the most hard questions and try to answered them with my own knowledge. You don't need to retain every writing thing by heart, only to know in general about you will say.
     I spoke to the main manager and planned my interview for Thursday. Once I arrived 10 minutes earlier, I had to wait until another manager in charge of my 1 on 1 interview came.
    I was the only one being interviewed that day and the manager what really nice and open. Compared to the amount of research I had done prior to the interview, it was really easy. Once we finished, she scheduled one day of training for the next Thursday which went well also, the staff were also nice and she was also surprised that I knew their mascot.
    *Pointing out that there's like nobody who know it apparently, its Geoffrey the Giraffe.* which I wouldn't have knew if I didn't collected info on the company in advance obviously.

The rest of the questions I couldn't add:

-Do you have any questions for me?
    . What kind of training should I be expecting?
    . What is a typical day for a cashier?
    (I asked 2, because it seem that she wanted me to ask 2 ><')

- Why do you want to work in retail?
    . Because I realized at my previous job that I loved working with people.
    (You are a people person)

- How do you feel about working for a long time in a single spot, won't you get bored?
    . Like I had say about my previous job, I love to work with people. Although I had to take care of the customers coats in the locker room, I liked to chat with the people that came to put their stuff.
    (You find fun about discussing with the costumers, so its never boring)

-How long do you want to work here?
    . I'm free, my schedule is empty and I'm not a student for the time being. I want to work full time.
    (Part time / Full time, for the longest possible)

-What do you see in a leader?
    . In a leader, I see someone who is like a friend but also someone who can bring me back on the right path when troubles arise.
    (A kind and open leader who is also serious when the situation called for it)

Interview Questions
    • What is the mascot of Toy'R'Us   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself
      (The first question that is typically asked)
        View Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to resolve something
      (Either work related or school related)
    • Tell me your weakness
      (Something that you can or will fix soon)
    • Tell me your strength
      (Something you are good at and that is also good for the post you are applying for)
        View Answer
    I did not negotiate the salary, it is 10,30$ CAD per hour, and I believe that as someone with little experience don't really have a complain about it.

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online . They called me back about 2 weeks later. The questions were in general simple and the interview lasted 15mins. The manager was really gentle and friendly and i was interviewed alone. The manager had other people to interview so he was trying to make it fast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

So I applied online for this position, and got a call back a day after for an interview. My interview was not group, it was 1 on 1 with the manager. The interview did seem a bit rushed, it took about 10 minutes, because he had other people waiting to be interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • When was there a time you had a difficult customer at a previous job, or group for a project at school and what did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2013.

I was interviewed by the head of Toys R Us Quebec, so I knew right off the bat that it was going to be tough. I could tell that he grew disinterested in me, and we'd only been speaking for roughly 90 seconds. He continued to converse with me, but he was just killing time and waiting for me to stop talking. It was rather nerve wracking and frustrating. He ended the interview saying that if he needs me, he will call me. Which basically meant that I had failed the interview (They were hiring on the spot).

Interview Questions
    • I understand why you want to work for us, but tell me WHY should I hire YOU?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winnipeg, MB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2011.

First off I handed in my resume in person, and it was lucky because i got to talk to the manager and hand my resume in to her to look over. then she said it was good I handed it in because they needed lots of seasonal staff. A week later they gave me a call and left a message saying they would love for me to come in for an interview. on the day of the interview i came in ten minutes early and since we have a toys r us in the mall we didnt head to a back room or anything, she just lead me outside the store and sat on a near by bench with me and had my resume and a sheet of standard interview questions to ask, she then told me a little bit about the position and what I would be doing if i got hired, surely enough it was over in ten minutes, they said they would call me at the end of the week to let me know if I got it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Etobicoke, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Etobicoke, ON

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

The interview was very detailed and precise, I actually didn't think it would take that long. It was actually a job fair that they had at the location, but each interview was about 15 minutes long. I think that was because they were hiring some people on the spot. After waiting in line, I eventually got up to the manager and he asked me why I wanted to work there, whether I'd have a problem selling etc. I thought it went pretty good, now I'm waiting for a call back.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

There was a round-table interview process with several other Department Supervisors from the district. There were store managers, the DM, and the HRDM sitting in the room taking notes and observing our behavior. They asked us questions and generally gave feedback on the spot. Afterwards we each had two individual interviews. I interviewed with two store managers for the first interview. My second individual interview was with the DM and another store manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about what the company values were and where I thought I fell on that spectrum. Why did I feel that I met that particular company value.   Answer Question
    There was not a negotiation for this position.

Sales Associate Interview

Make sure you come dressed to impress and be confident. They will ask you to pick out a toy from the sales floor and ask you to talk about the toy and sell it to them as if they were the customer.

Sales Team Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview. When I went to the store for the interview, a cashier told everyone to walk around and pick out a toy while we wait. When I got to the interview room, we wrote our names on name tags and had to stand up and introduce ourselves with an adjective that matches the first letter of your first name. Then, we were asked to interview the person across from you as to why the company should hire them and stand up and present the info. After, we had to sell our chosen toy to the group as if you were talking to a customer. Then you had to build something out of Legos in groups and have someone stand and explain it. Finally, they called everyone back for one on one questioning. The questions were very simple and short.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the most difficult question they repeatedly asked was if you had any questions for them   Answer Question
    We did not discuss our wages

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!