Toys ''R'' Us

473 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details I applied online . They called me back about 2 weeks later. The questions were in general simple and the interview lasted 15mins. The manager was really gentle and friendly and i was interviewed alone. The manager had other people to interview so he was trying to make it fast.

Interview Question – Tell me one bad thing about you.   View Answer

Winnipeg, MB

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details So I applied online for this position, and got a call back a day after for an interview. My interview was not group, it was 1 on 1 with the manager. The interview did seem a bit rushed, it took about 10 minutes, because he had other people waiting to be interviewed.

Interview Question – When was there a time you had a difficult customer at a previous job, or group for a project at school and what did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2013.

Interview Details I was interviewed by the head of Toys R Us Quebec, so I knew right off the bat that it was going to be tough. I could tell that he grew disinterested in me, and we'd only been speaking for roughly 90 seconds. He continued to converse with me, but he was just killing time and waiting for me to stop talking. It was rather nerve wracking and frustrating. He ended the interview saying that if he needs me, he will call me. Which basically meant that I had failed the interview (They were hiring on the spot).

Interview Question – I understand why you want to work for us, but tell me WHY should I hire YOU?   View Answer

Winnipeg, MB

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2011.

Interview Details First off I handed in my resume in person, and it was lucky because i got to talk to the manager and hand my resume in to her to look over. then she said it was good I handed it in because they needed lots of seasonal staff. A week later they gave me a call and left a message saying they would love for me to come in for an interview. on the day of the interview i came in ten minutes early and since we have a toys r us in the mall we didnt head to a back room or anything, she just lead me outside the store and sat on a near by bench with me and had my resume and a sheet of standard interview questions to ask, she then told me a little bit about the position and what I would be doing if i got hired, surely enough it was over in ten minutes, they said they would call me at the end of the week to let me know if I got it.

Interview Questions

Etobicoke, ON

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

Interview Details The interview was very detailed and precise, I actually didn't think it would take that long. It was actually a job fair that they had at the location, but each interview was about 15 minutes long. I think that was because they were hiring some people on the spot. After waiting in line, I eventually got up to the manager and he asked me why I wanted to work there, whether I'd have a problem selling etc. I thought it went pretty good, now I'm waiting for a call back.

Interview Question – What skills/assets could you bring to the job?   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

Sales Team Member
New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Pretty straight forward questions. They pretty much hire any and everybody. Which can be a good or bad thing. You have to deal with the stupidity or incompetence of your peers.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2010.

Interview Details Was a group interview. They give you legos to build a product and try to sell it, then give you actual toys to try to sell them the toy. If you make it past the group interview, then you will have 1 1 on 1 interview with a manager.

SMILE! Make the best of it and try to have fun. If you look miserable, then you look like a miserable choice.

Interview Question – What would you do if your guest wants an item, needs it today, and we don't have it in stock?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Cashier/Sales Team Member
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online, and was sure I didn't do so great on the personality test portion of the application. I've never worked retail before, so I found it challenging, sometimes multiple answers seemed okay, but if you've had experience in retail I would assume that part is no problem. It took about a month and a half to get a callback, but they had been interviewing all summer so I was probably close to the bottom of their list. I got called to come in for a group interview, there ended up being 7 of us there. Based on the other reviews on here, I was prepared to choose a toy and sell it and had ideas for the lego thing. Turns out, my interview must have been an unusual one. We all played "2 truths and 1 lie" to introduce ourselves. Then the manager came in and was very clear about the position, what it's like working there etc. We were told pushing the rewards program, credit cards and buyer protection plan were very important. Then they dismissed us outside and did the 1 on 1 portion. Since it's so close to college starting back up they had me fill out an availability schedule. Asked me what my major was, and if I'd be interested in also being the HR Assistant since I've had office experience. It was the most laid back interview I've had, I think they were just desperate for more regular employees. Oh PS, working on Black Friday is a MUST, at least for this store. 12 hour shifts. However since I am from out of state, they are willing to let me work the closing shift on Black Friday so I could have Thanksgiving with my family, which was nice.

Interview Question – I was literally only asked about my major and availability. Again, most likely a very atypical experience from what I've read on here.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, told the wage was $7.75 which is actually above minimum wage for KY so that's fine.

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2011.

Interview Details One week after applying, I received a phone call to come in for a group interview. At the group interview, they asked a series of questions to each person. Ex. "What is your favorite childhood toy?" Afterwards, they took each person individually into the office for a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Hours were too sparse.

Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

Interview Details It was a group interview and there was 9 of us (meant to be 10 but one didnt turn up). We went with one of the managers called shaun who was really nice and we all went into a room and sat in a circle. There was a pen and paper provided and the first task was to just say your name to the group. Then we had to introduce the person sat next to us after 5 minutes of asking questions on what they enjoy doing etc etc. The second task was selling a product, there was an array of toys on the desk and we all picked one up and then had 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to sell it. One by one we tried to sell the product, I thought this would be difficult but I actually enjoyed it. Then the last part was a debate, he split the room in half and we debated football players salary in groups. The debate was testing team work and listening skills. Then we all went into a different room so we could have a drink and they called us in one by one to discuss our applications. They offered me a trial the next week along with 3 other interviewees who I saw written down. The interview was really fun and has given me loads of confidence I didnt know I had.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!