Thrillist Media Group

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

DevOps Engineer Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Thrillist Media Group in November 2013.

Interview Details The interview consisted of a phone interview with the recruiter, after which I visited the offices for a tour. After the tour, I met with each individual team lead, of which there are three, and then the CTO. I was presented with a grouping of technical questions related to general LAMP stack operations, and whiteboarded a few examples. I was also asked about past challenges with co-workers and fellow employees. This was one of the easier interviews that I had been on.

I ended up going back for a second interview and met again with the CTO as well as the CEO, as I was unsure of the direction and current success of TMG. After that meeting I felt secure that TMG had a strong future and good direction and I wanted to be part of that team.

Interview Question – Whiteboard a general LAMP stack and explain the process   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate within 10% of my preferred salary. I'd recommend negotiating hard, as TMG is very budget minded but not afraid of paying for good people. They're just not willing to open the purse strings easily.

Developer Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview Details Two phases:

1. Phone Screen: Questioned on basic CS concepts. Questioned on domain / platform knowledge. 30 minutes.

2. On-site Interview: Given paper quiz with list of questions that range from CS concepts (OOP, MVC, SOA), to algorithms (string manipulation, any language), to domain / platform knowledge (differences between languages, memory management, etc), to software architecture (how would you architect an ads solution, from backend to frontend). 3-4 hours.

After interview, had on-site tour of the office. Very cool. Great culture. Very chill people. CEO also a great, passionate guy. Definitely great things and growth ahead.

Interview Question – How would you architect an ads solution for mobile, go as in-depth as possible to all layers of the stack.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Received a better offer elsewhere.

Web Applications Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview Details Applied through my school's Job portal. Recruiter contacted me by email. After intial background check phone call, there were 2 rounds of technical interviews. First one was phone interview and second one was online (hangout) coding interview. Phone interview had questions about basic OOP and java concepts : Polymorphism, abstract class and static methods, get and post methods. Database : normalization, sql injection. Coding interview was somewhat difficult.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will traverse an unbalanced, unsorted binary tree, looking for a node with a specific value. Your function should return a pointer to that node.   Answer Question
  • Write a small regular expression that will match most valid email addresses.   Answer Question
  • Write a program that, given a filename, returns the number of times the word “Thrillist” appears in the named file.   Answer Question
  • An existing e-commerce system sells widgets to registered customers. The company has too much excess inventory. It wants to be able to offer discounts on certain products to certain customers, or certain groups of customers. How would you extend the schema below to support such an enhancement to the system? Existing schema has 2 tables : Users and Products   Answer Question
  • For our mobile applications (iPad, iPhone and Android) we have to serve up different image advertisements to each different device. Generally our advertisers purchase their space for a month of time, but at times can be for only set periods of times. Sometimes they order for all three devices and other times for only one or two. Finally, each advertisement has a specific URL that the user should go to when they click on the advertisement.
    We need you to describe how you’d build a small application to serve up these advertisements. You don’t need to write line by line code, but be able to describe the architecture of the system from a high level.

Be prepared to describe:
    ● How would you serve up the mobile advertisements?
    ● How would the data for each advertisement be stored (i.e., what does the database look like)?
    ● How would you track how many times the advertisement has been viewed or clicked?
      Answer Question

Web Applications Developer
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thrillist Media Group in December 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by the Company recruiter. 2 Phone interviews including a technical interview + 1 Onsite interview

Interview Question – 1. Write a function that will traverse an unbalanced, unsorted binary tree, looking for a node with a specific value. Your function should return a pointer to that node.

2. Write a small regular expression that will match most valid email addresses.

3. Write a program that, given a filename, returns the number of times the word “Thrillist” appears in the named file.

4. Database design question: An existing e-commerce system sells widgets to registered customers. The company has too much excess inventory. It wants to be able to offer discounts on certain products to certain customers, or certain groups of customers. How would you extend the schema below to support such an enhancement to the system?

5. Develop A Small Ad Server: For our mobile applications (iPad, iPhone and Android) we have to serve up different image advertisements to each different device. Generally our advertisers purchase their space for a month of time, but at times can be for only set periods of times. Sometimes they order for all three devices and other times for only one or two. Finally, each advertisement has a specific URL that the user should go to when they click on the advertisement.

Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview Details I just made one interview, there wasn't much talking but just a bunch of technical questions: Algorithms and data structures, regular expressions, and design questions.

Interview Question – The hardest question was related to manipulating a binary tree and doing some search in it. In fact, it wasn't that hard, but it was the very first question so it's kind of unexpected.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Thrillist Media Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thrillist Media Group interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Thrillist Media Group employees and interview candidates.