Thomson Reuters

Updated 25 Nov, 2014

2.9

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

It was a referral drive around 150 people gave written among which 5 were selected. Written contains of aptitude and in technical section you have to write code of three basic programs.
There was 2 rounds of Technical And one HR round(formal).
The interview was completely based on JAVA.
So, you should have a good knowledge of JAVA to crack the interview.

Interview Questions
  • As, I was not so much aware about JAVA so all questions were tough for me.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Thomson Reuters

Software Engineer Interview

joint campus hiring it was. 1st round was an aptitude test which was really tough followed by technical interview, which was moderate and finally hr interview which was easy and HRs were friendly.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Two Interviews Total. One in person with the hiring manager and the team. The second interview was with the VP of the division. The team interview was more technical and the VP interview was more of a personality fit and normal strength/weaknesses type of interview. Process moved slowly because VP had just been promoted and was still in the process of moving.

Interview Questions
    • How did you hear about Thomson Reuters and what is your impression of us. Can you explain to me what Thomson Reuters does?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, offer was exactly what I wanted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

The overall process was smooth. There were three rounds 2 technical and a managerial round. The difficulty level is average and the duration will be around 45-60 minutes per round

They will negotiate a lot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in June 2014.

I have applied through recruiter .Process was slow but on time. It took 3 day. First round was apti and technical apti follwed by face to face and HR .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Questions
    • What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question
    Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Paper exam and personal interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Very Simple but extremely slow in hiring process. Initial phone interview with HR followed by a technical interview on phone with a team lead and then was invited for an onsite interview (they rarely pay the traveling allowance). The interview questions were very generic and mostly from the textbook. Not many questions from the resume or from the projects.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple questions for example: what is garbage collection in Java, reverse a string, superclass vs subclass etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was allowed.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through other source – interviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2013.

Interview Details:
    4.Why main() method is static
    5.Interface and abstract
    6.What is sealed class and final class and differences
    7.What is shadowing
    8.What is singleton class.
    9.What is virtual method.
    10.what is wsdl.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question:Code to swap numbers without third variable and reverse of a number.   View Answers (3)