The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated 20 Feb, 2015
Updated 20 Feb, 2015

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Applied on their website, they replied within 5 days asking for my availability for an interview. Spoke to an HR woman from Zappos, she wasn't part of the team that was hiring for the position. She placed a huge emphasis on culture. Here are the questions I remember:

* What do you know about Zappos? Have you seen our site? What do you think of our site?
    * Are you familiar with the Zappos values? I've read Delivering Happiness so I was able to answer some of the values
    * Are you okay with spending your first month at Zappos in our call center? Why do you think we make new hires do this?
    * Are you okay with spending some time around Christmas season in the call center to help out?
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your proficiency with the following languages
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, how weird are you and why?

Interview Questions
    • If you're in a room meeting with your team and a bunch of people in costumes show up, what would you do?   View Answer
    I was offered additional interviews and I'm still in the secondary interview process.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A project asking you to poke around a data set and find any pattern that may make sense to you. The data set is not too large. and a virtual interview asking 9 questions including behavior and basic techniques. You will record a video under its system and you can record it twice.

Android Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

There is a code challenge to write a simple android weather app, you can use any weather api.
    virtual interview is easy questions to know about you, nothing technical.
    You will have one week to submit virtual interview and code challenge.
    if they chose you as final list, they will assist you to fly to Las Vegas for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • what are two things you are going to pack if you will be in a desert?
      What did you do when you get negative feedbacks from your boss or professor?

Advanced Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

One analytics challenge was based on mock web data. The prompt was fairly vague and allowed the candidate to use any method (excel, R, other coding languages, etc). Additionally, a video interview was required before their initial review. Once passed this stage, they fly you out to Las Vegas to interview at their headquarters

Interview Questions
    • Basic statistics concept questions, one or two simple coding questions, what two things would you take to a deserted island?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online. Within one week they sent me a Hackerrank test and a TakeTheInterview interview. These both had to be completed within a two week time frame. The interview questions consisted of typical, personality, and technical questions. The interview itself wasn't much of a problem.

Interview Questions
    • An integer whose base-ten representation consists of only zero and one is called a "zero-one". given an arbitrary integer N, find the smallest "zero-one" integer S which is the multiple of N. (It is mathematically guaranteed that every N has such an S).

Constraint:
      0 < N < 100,000

Sample Input:
      Sample Output:

Web Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Consisted of an online challenge that everyone applied to and then a two day onsite interview for those selected from the online challenge. They fly you out to Vegas and cover accommodation. The 2 days process consists of getting to know the company and team and then technical interview with your respective team and HR interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

They responded pretty fast. I got an email only a few days after I submitted my resume. First an online coding challenge, including 3 problems within 4 hours. The problems were farily challenging. Then a virtual interview with basic behavior questions, like self-introduction, what you will bring to a deserted island, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell if a number can be expressed as p^q;
      Number of unique palindromes in a string;
      Smallest zero-one number divisible by N;

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Applied on the Zappos website, took their online assessment and online interview. The OA consists took 4 hours and had 3 questions. 2 were basic algorithmic questions, 1 was a pretty hard math problem with "zero-one" question. If anyone who has heard back from them, please post a note here, thank you!

Interview Questions
    • 4 hour online assessment with 3 questions. And an online interview, with 9 behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Product Management CollegeBusiness Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Zappo's internship interview has been explained multiple times on the previous reviews:
    After passing the resume screening you go through a two part first step.

One part is the challenge. It varies with the role you are applying for. For the Product Management Intern role it consisted on coming up with a new product for Zappos, talking about the value proposition, the target market and the overall business model as well as making a prototype.

Another part is a virtual interview in which you are presented with questions, have time to think (30 sec) and then 1 to 2 minutes to answer, while being recorded via webcam. They are mostly behavioral questions to see if you are a match for the company. Some easy technical questions related to the position can also be expected.

I wasn't selected for the next part of the interview, so I can't talk much about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about yourself.
      Why Zappos?
      What do you look for in a Summer internship?
      What ways did you find to improve our website?

Android Development Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

1. Online virtual interview and coding challenge - to be finished within a week. Coding is challenging to me, but there is a week's time limit. Virtual interview is easy to answer. Just some interesting questions for company to know you.
    2. Onsite interview and tour

Interview Questions
    • We want to see if your skill-set aligns with the internship you're applying to. Ignore core value #10 for a minute and show us what you've got!

Please complete the challenge below and send it back to us by replying to this email with the completed the challenge.

One of the most important aspects of ecommerce and online retail is pricing. In order to increase purchases on their mobile app, Zappos is considering sending price notifications any time a saved/favorited item goes on sale!

Write a small application using the Zappos API that lets a user pick their desired product(s) and then notifies them when the price hit at least 20% off the original price.

In order to make calls to the Zappos API, you will need to use an API key. Please use the following API key when making these calls -