The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated 6 Dec, 2014
Updated 6 Dec, 2014

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Applied on their website, they replied within 5 days asking for my availability for an interview. Spoke to an HR woman from Zappos, she wasn't part of the team that was hiring for the position. She placed a huge emphasis on culture. Here are the questions I remember:

* What do you know about Zappos? Have you seen our site? What do you think of our site?
    * Are you familiar with the Zappos values? I've read Delivering Happiness so I was able to answer some of the values
    * Are you okay with spending your first month at Zappos in our call center? Why do you think we make new hires do this?
    * Are you okay with spending some time around Christmas season in the call center to help out?
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your proficiency with the following languages
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, how weird are you and why?

Interview Questions
    • If you're in a room meeting with your team and a bunch of people in costumes show up, what would you do?   View Answer
    I was offered additional interviews and I'm still in the secondary interview process.

Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A very long process with many applications, videos, and phone interviews. Surprisingly if you are not a parting animal you will not be a match for them.... Nothing in between, but that's their culture!

Design Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I was very excited to go to the in person interview. After the phone interview I had with the team I felt fairly confident and excited. I thought we really clicked and they knew my skill set etc. However I knew things had gone bad fairly quickly. First they have you come very early to do a tour of the building and they talk up why it's so great there. If I'm being honestly and I am, this is hard because you are nervous and tired and it seems all very pointless. The tour could be cut in half. Then they put you into a room to start the interviews with people. For me personally after a couple rounds of interviews with some of the team (3 people) we (the team and I) all went to lunch together. At this point I thought it was going fairly well. Not too terrible but not badly either. I was pretty nervous so it was hard to read. But then I knew about ten mins into the lunch that I wouldn't get the job when the person that would of been my boss barely could make eye contact with me. He seemed irritated by everything I said which made me even more nervous. Then I knew the nail was in the coffin when we got back to the offices he seemed irritated that he had to find out where I needed to go next. When I left to go on to interview with someone else he didn't even shake my hand or acknowledge my presence. At that very second I knew the rest of the day would be a pointless exercise. I thought well I'll use this opportunity to practice my interview skills. The rest of the day was pretty bad. Knowing early on that I was absolutely no way going to get an offer I basically stopped trying at all. Sad but true. The other people I met with must of got the memo that I was already in the no pile. Most of them didn't even bother to look up from their laptops when they spoke to me. It was all I could do to not run crying from the building.

Intern Interview

It is a very long and time consuming process with many different parts and steps. I personally did not like the interview process because majority of the application must be recorded and submitted online. There was very little personal interaction.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied through other source – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

24 Hrs coding challenge.
    HR interview
    Telephonic interview
    Onsite interview

I applied online and I got a 24 Hrs coding challenge next day. 24 Hrs coding challenge was related to consuming their REST URLS and implement some Algorithms. I developed a NetBeans maven based web project using custom MVC (Servlet centric approach), used Jersey client API's, URL API's, some business service components, Controllers and presentation pages.
    I was selected in 24 Hrs coding challenge.

Next step was HR telephonic interview - It was 30 mins non-technical interview. More focused on their company culture and core values. I was selected in HR telephonic interview.

Next step-A technical phone interview with 3 Technical people- They asked me about my previous and current projects.

Some basic Java questions- Interfaces, Abstract classes, Some design patterns some programming in a Shared Document. Exception handling Some SQL related questions & SQL Queries.

One program was one basic series program- I solved recursively. They asked me a little bit about breaking condition and time complexity.

Questions related to overloading and overriding.

Basics of Object Oriented Programming.

Some String related questions- Reverse a String

Database - Some questions related to Database normalization and Some database quarries.

My interview went well and interviews told me my interview was good and they want to see me for F2F interview and HR will contact you for next steps to come to Vegas for F2F. I was excited because everything went well. Unfortunately I got a rejection email. I tried to contact them but there was no reply from their side.

During telephonic interview there was heavy disturbance in the communication line. It was very difficult for me to understand what they were saying.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

For 24 Hrs coding challenge- Focus on architecture of the application before writing the code and spend some time on Algorithms, make components independent and reusable, create a documentation for APIs usage, add description of components and usage in your project in the document. Write your code as simple as possible.

For String related questions
    Split function.
    Reversing in 3 ways , Looping, use a method of StringBuffer and the best solution implement your own Stack Data Structure.

For Database related questions-Focus on Limit, Union and Sub Queries.

Technical Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2014.

Registered as an Insider about 6 months ago. Got an email from HR. Note I was in the middle of final interviews with two companies, but was excited to hear from Zappos.

HR phone screen went as expected - lots of cultural fit questions. Lots of talk about "holocracy" and how it guides core values, etc. Was referred for 2nd tech interview which was conducted by someone who would be "a peer."

6 days after 2nd phone screen, I received an email informing me that I wouldn't be recommended to continue in the process.

I still think Zappos is a great company but have reservations about the hoops one must jump thru to get hired for below market salary/no bonuses.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a situation where you had to deal with difficult personalities?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2014.

Applied online and submitted a resume and cover letter. A few weeks later, I received a Technical Challenge where I had to write some code using their API. When submitting the technical challenge you must also do a recorded video interview. If they like everything they will fly you out to Vegas for two days of interviews. Pretty standard questions. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard string/array questions. How can you determine if a string is a palindrome? Longest palindrome substring?   Answer Question

Higher paying position with another company

Outlet Operations Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Very cool process. The company gets to know personally and professionally taking the non-traditional approach. You're welcomed to be yourself, which lows the tension and nervousness during the interview.

Seasonal Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Note that this is what I went through for their 2013 season, might be different this year. The process begins at your temp agency and any prerequisite testing they might need. Afterwards you are set up to record and send an online interview. You're recorded on webcam, asked questions and given a time limit to answer. You can't redo the question, but you are in control of when the time limit counts down and are given a "practice round" you can watch beforehand. If you make it from there, you take a "speed interview" alongside other prospective employees that works similar to speed-dating. You sit down at a long table and answer questions from an interviewer for a few minutes then shuffle to a different one. If your interviewer finishes their list of questions before the time is up they'll try to make small talk which is almost a question itself. They're looking for how you interact on a personal level, personality and individuality is a big selling point. Get pass that and you're all done with only training left.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when an irate customer is asking for something that clearly goes against policy?   View Answer

Quality Assurance Website Team Lead Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

I applied online through Zappos Website.Recruiter contacted me and scheduled for Telephonic Interview.Technical recruiter called and discussed about the job and my experiences mentioned in the resume.I was informed that my resume will be recommended for the next level of technical interview.One week later i got email telling i am not considered further .