The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated 30 Jan, 2015
Updated 30 Jan, 2015

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Applied on their website, they replied within 5 days asking for my availability for an interview. Spoke to an HR woman from Zappos, she wasn't part of the team that was hiring for the position. She placed a huge emphasis on culture. Here are the questions I remember:

* What do you know about Zappos? Have you seen our site? What do you think of our site?
    * Are you familiar with the Zappos values? I've read Delivering Happiness so I was able to answer some of the values
    * Are you okay with spending your first month at Zappos in our call center? Why do you think we make new hires do this?
    * Are you okay with spending some time around Christmas season in the call center to help out?
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your proficiency with the following languages
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, how weird are you and why?

Interview Questions
    • If you're in a room meeting with your team and a bunch of people in costumes show up, what would you do?   View Answer
    I was offered additional interviews and I'm still in the secondary interview process.

Android Development Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

1. Online virtual interview and coding challenge - to be finished within a week. Coding is challenging to me, but there is a week's time limit. Virtual interview is easy to answer. Just some interesting questions for company to know you.
    2. Onsite interview and tour

Interview Questions
    • We want to see if your skill-set aligns with the internship you're applying to. Ignore core value #10 for a minute and show us what you've got!

Please complete the challenge below and send it back to us by replying to this email with the completed the challenge.

One of the most important aspects of ecommerce and online retail is pricing. In order to increase purchases on their mobile app, Zappos is considering sending price notifications any time a saved/favorited item goes on sale!

Write a small application using the Zappos API that lets a user pick their desired product(s) and then notifies them when the price hit at least 20% off the original price.

In order to make calls to the Zappos API, you will need to use an API key. Please use the following API key when making these calls -

Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I was contacted through their Insider program to apply for a Senior Financial Analyst position in Las Vegas. They said that even though I've already been a manager for 3 years, that I wasn't qualified enough since they require 5 years of experience. There was a manager spot open, but I really wanted to work here and I figured I'd take a step down just to get my foot in the door.

After I applied it took a MONTH to set up a virtual interview. This is one where you answer some predefined questions through your webcam that is recorded and reviewed later. It's awkward, but I understand wanted to get rid of weirdos early and not in person.

It then took ANOTHER MONTH, for them to review my virtual interview and contact me to tell me that I needed to take an Excel test. I took the test at home but it was very very simple. At my job we use this to make sure people are technically qualified, but this test was so easy I was a little nervous. I passed and that day they sent an email saying they'll set up an HR interview.

I talked to the HR lady (she was very nice) a week later and had a Skype interview two weeks after that with the two Finance Managers. Standard questions, nothing too crazy. One of them was nice but I got a weird vibe from the other one. But I passed and two weeks later I had my Interview in person.

They make you get there at 8:30a and the recruiter gives you a tour of the complex and explains their benefits. She was very nice and the place is AMAZING. Just a giant dorm room that you can work at. They told me to dress comfortably so I asked my friend who works there and he said nice jeans and a button up is fine. I had about 5 hours of interview both with two people and 1-on-1. You don't need to know anything about Zappos history at all because they don't ask about that. They ask personality and some logic questions.

It took ANOTHER month for them to let me know and i got the "no" email. Funny thing is that I've done over a hundred interviews (for my own department) and I've never performed better in my life, ever. Even one of the managers thought I was "too qualified" for the Senior role. So I was not qualified for Manager, but too qualified for Senior

Interview Questions
    • How many gas stations are there in America?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview process required a case as well as an online interview which was through an online video chat program.Good concept, but I felt like they couldn't really get to know me personally.

Interview Questions
    • The case was an unexpected topic for a company that sells fashion merchandise.   Answer Question

CLT Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

spent 7 months chasing this job, with a new 'mizzion' sent every couple weeks (online video questions, typing/personality tests, etc). Once called in, I was asked off the wall questions to make sure I fit in.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Awesome Experience great people, really friendly + its vegas! ... Interview process is easy and straight forward
    1. online round
    2. got a call to fly over
    3. 2 days @ vegas
    4. first day .... meet everyone + coding round
    5. 1 tech round + 1 hr
    6. got the offer in 7-8 days.

... got the offer

Interview Questions

I had other offers, they were paying quite less

Design Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I was very excited to go to the in person interview. After the phone interview I had with the team I felt fairly confident and excited. I thought we really clicked and they knew my skill set etc. However I knew things had gone bad fairly quickly. First they have you come very early to do a tour of the building and they talk up why it's so great there. If I'm being honestly and I am, this is hard because you are nervous and tired and it seems all very pointless. The tour could be cut in half. Then they put you into a room to start the interviews with people. For me personally after a couple rounds of interviews with some of the team (3 people) we (the team and I) all went to lunch together. At this point I thought it was going fairly well. Not too terrible but not badly either. I was pretty nervous so it was hard to read. But then I knew about ten mins into the lunch that I wouldn't get the job when the person that would of been my boss barely could make eye contact with me. He seemed irritated by everything I said which made me even more nervous. Then I knew the nail was in the coffin when we got back to the offices he seemed irritated that he had to find out where I needed to go next. When I left to go on to interview with someone else he didn't even shake my hand or acknowledge my presence. At that very second I knew the rest of the day would be a pointless exercise. I thought well I'll use this opportunity to practice my interview skills. The rest of the day was pretty bad. Knowing early on that I was absolutely no way going to get an offer I basically stopped trying at all. Sad but true. The other people I met with must of got the memo that I was already in the no pile. Most of them didn't even bother to look up from their laptops when they spoke to me. It was all I could do to not run crying from the building.

Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A very long process with many applications, videos, and phone interviews. Surprisingly if you are not a parting animal you will not be a match for them.... Nothing in between, but that's their culture!

CLT Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in December 2014.

1. Become Zappos Insider and do video cover letter 2. Wait for link to apply when positions open 3. Answer application, do virtual interview 4. Wait for group interview 5. After group, wait for culture interview and tech interview

Intern Interview

It is a very long and time consuming process with many different parts and steps. I personally did not like the interview process because majority of the application must be recorded and submitted online. There was very little personal interaction.