The Zappos Family Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
Updated Aug 26, 2014
143 interviews

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Applied on their website, they replied within 5 days asking for my availability for an interview. Spoke to an HR woman from Zappos, she wasn't part of the team that was hiring for the position. She placed a huge emphasis on culture. Here are the questions I remember:

* What do you know about Zappos? Have you seen our site? What do you think of our site?
    * Are you familiar with the Zappos values? I've read Delivering Happiness so I was able to answer some of the values
    * Are you okay with spending your first month at Zappos in our call center? Why do you think we make new hires do this?
    * Are you okay with spending some time around Christmas season in the call center to help out?
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your proficiency with the following languages
    * On a scale from 1 to 10, how weird are you and why?

Interview Questions
    • If you're in a room meeting with your team and a bunch of people in costumes show up, what would you do?   View Answer
    I was offered additional interviews and I'm still in the secondary interview process.

Junior Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in July 2014.

Went through two online applications before being asked for a phone interview. After the phone interview I heard back about a week later that they wanted me to come in and meet the team. Both HR Insiders I talked to were really helpful and responded pretty dang fast if I had a question.

Being a Las Vegas local, I got to their offices on my own. Their front desk staff is very welcoming and their campus is pretty awesome. The whole day was pretty cool being able to meet the team. You go through quite the wringer of interviews and conversations. One employee clearly didn't want to be a part of the interview process, but the rest were really informative and chill.

Interview Questions
    • If you or someone else wrote a biography of your life, what would the title be?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

I applied online, then received an email to complete the video interview. The next stage was a culture fit phone interview with the recruiter. Next I had a phone interview with my potential manager. After that I skyped with two potential team members. Then I was asked to compete a skills test in excel. After all that they offered to fly me out to their headquarters in Las Vegas for an all-day interview (Zappos paid for all my transportation and lodging, it was so great)! While there I took a tour of the office, had another culture fit interview with another recruiter. I also had 2 other interviews with potential co-workers. Two people from my department took me out to lunch and gave me the scoop on what it is like to work there. I then had an interview with a colleague who held similar responsibilities to the role I was interviewing for. Then I met with my manager and the 2 team members I skyped with previously. It was a full, busy, magical day. A few days later I was asked for information to complete a background check, and after it cleared they made me a final offer.

Interview Questions
    • You're shrunk to the size of a nickel and thrown in a blender. The blades are going to star spinning in 60 seconds. What do you do?   View Answer

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied for the CLT position right before Zappos changed their hiring practices. A friend of a friend sent me a text to tell me the link was up, and I applied online as quickly as possible. The link was gone 30 minutes after I heard about it! Within a few days I got an e-mail informing me that the first step in the process was for me to take two different online assessments. One was a typing test. I think you only had to be able to type 20 wpm. The second test was a grammar assessment. Both were simple and straight forward. The day after I'd taken the tests I got another e-mail letting me know I'd passed. The next step was a face to face interview! I interviewed with two different ladies. One did the "Culture" interview and the other did the "Technical" interview. My culture interview was a normal kind of job interview with a few "Zappos" type of questions. That lasted about 45 minutes. I wold definitely say remember to do your homework on the company before you go! Then it was on to the technical interview. That took place in a small room with a computer. She would give me scenarios and then watch as I used the Zappos website (or google) to find what the customer was looking for. It seemed like they were just checking to make sure you had a general understanding of how to work the internet! :) She also asked me some "What would you do" type of questions related to helping an escalated customer call. (Like a family going on vacation who didn't get their new shoes in time). I have a few friends. Then my interview was over and I was told they would be deciding within the week. I left the interview and went to a movie. When I got out I had an e-mail telling me I'd made it to the next step. The position was mine as long as I passed their employment verification and background checks. That process took about one week. After that I got a call officially offering me the position!

Interview Questions
    • Knowing what you know about Zappos Core Values, if you had to help me plan a fun themed event, what kind of event would it be?

In your previous jobs name a situation where you had an idea that was not well received by your fellow employees.
        Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Extensive. Application, video cover letter, Merchandising challenge, online interview, flew out to company to interview with specific teams (it varied, but I had 5) and a culture interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • If you stuck on an island and you had to pick two items to have with you...   View Answer
    Do it! It's a great experience and you will not regret it.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Emphasis is on cultural fit so please be yourself as they value individuality. Overall interview process took 4 months with an online interview, video interview, several phone interviews and an onsite interview. Interviewers were polite, spunky and asked a lot of questions that revolve around technical experience as well as your work style. Best advice is to be prepared and be yourself.

Marketing Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied to the job. A few days later, I was contacted and asked to fill out some more questions (think resume) and then some fun "personality" questions, like what would your life theme song be and who is your favorite super hero. After I passed that, I had to do an Excel challenge that was quite easy. Passed that. Had my technical interview - it didn't go that well. The interviewer wasn't good - she barely had anything to say and really didn't seem to be paying attention or care at all about what I had to say. Was denied two days later. The sad thing is, I had all the qualifications and it's an entry-level position, but I was told people were more qualified - well of course there are better qualified applicants. There always are. Sad I never even got the chance for the culture interview because skills can be learned - personality can't be changed.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2013.

Had to submit an application/resume with the option of a video cover letter (which I did!), an online Take the Interview, and an online challenge. Challenges and interviews were fun and different from any other companies hiring process. Received notification that I was a top candidate for a position and flew out to Vegas for final rounds. Best onsite interview I have ever had - meet and greets, challenges, one on one interviews, and meals/happy hours to really get to know the team. Loved the entire visit! Received an offer a week later and accepted right away.

Interview Questions
    • Expect fun/innovative questions and technical questions - be yourself and be passionate!   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online and submitted my resumé, a virtual interview, a video cover letter, as well as an online Sumo challenge. After reviewing my application, I moved on to the next round, where Zappos flew out the candidates to Las Vegas to interview for two days. The first day was spent doing activities and meeting Zappos employees and the second day was interview day. You could interview with one or more teams, in addition to having a culture interview, so a total of two or more interviews. After interviewing, Zappos flew us back home. About a week and a half later, we heard back if we had received an offer. The whole process was awesome and really on-par with the Zappos culture. Zappos really wants to make sure their employees and interns are culture fits, while still have the work hard, play hard mentality. If you're looking for a stiff, corporate atmosphere in a cubicle setting, Zappos isn't the place for you (but who really wants that?). Overall, it was a great experience!

Interview Questions
    • What two things would you bring if you were on a deserted island?   Answer Question

Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I signed up on the zappos website to be an "insider" and right away was contacted to come to a nice cream social at the zappos hq. I posted my resume and a video cover letter on the website and went to the party to network a bit. Within a week I had received 3 emails regarding positions that they were filling and process of interviews. I did a virtual interview, a skills test, grammar test, and typing test from home. I got an email the next morning to schedule an interview. I had 2 in person interviews. One with an hr rep, one with a clt recruiter / hiring mgr. I did a mock order and answered questions about my background and work history in the first, and answered creative culture based questions in the second. All in all it was a fun process and they respond quickly. I would 100% do it again and would encourage anyone to apply.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation at all. Accept or they'll give the spot to one of the other 60 candidates

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!