The Zappos Family

127 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Interview Details Applied on their website, they replied within 5 days asking for my availability for an interview. Spoke to an HR woman from Zappos, she wasn't part of the team that was hiring for the position. She placed a huge emphasis on culture. Here are the questions I remember:

* What do you know about Zappos? Have you seen our site? What do you think of our site?
* Are you familiar with the Zappos values? I've read Delivering Happiness so I was able to answer some of the values
* Are you okay with spending your first month at Zappos in our call center? Why do you think we make new hires do this?
* Are you okay with spending some time around Christmas season in the call center to help out?
* On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your proficiency with the following languages
* On a scale from 1 to 10, how weird are you and why?

Interview Question – If you're in a room meeting with your team and a bunch of people in costumes show up, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered additional interviews and I'm still in the secondary interview process.

Software Engineering College Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details The first round was programming challenge and online interview. The online interview had behavioral and few technical questions. Programming challenge was good. I enjoyed it.
I was selected for the second round for which I was supposed to visit there HQ for two days but I couldn't because I had an exam. So, instead skype interview was scheduled. It was with the development manager and he was nice and very friendly. He asked both behavioral and technical questions. Some programming questions also.
I'm waiting for the response.

Interview Question – I think all the questions were pretty straight forward. If you have good knowledge of the language you choose then you will be okay.   Answer Question

Process Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details The interview process was not difficult. There were some unique questions and it was very laid back. Mostly situational questions and a few problem solving questions. There were 3 interviewers total and each asked a series of questions in sequential order. There was a big emphasis on company culture and workplace culture.

Interview Question – If you could be a super hero what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details I had three phone interviews and then was flown out to Vegas. The trip has 2 layovers coming from the east coast- they don’t want to spend the money for a direct flight. The interview process was straight forward, met with lots of team members. They contacted me right away to offer me a DIFFERENT position than what I interviewed for at significantly less money. I was not pleased. I would not have wasted my time flying 10 hours each way for such a paltry offer (lower than I was previously told!), considering the amount of experience I bring to the table- it is buying, not cardiac surgery.

Interview Question – No difficult questions...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The company boasts record sales, but want good talent cheap. Also, had reservations about moving all the way to Vegas, considering they have armed policeman stationed at the entrance. What does that really say about the area?

Associate Software Engineer Interview

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2010.

Interview Details Whole Process took about 40 days
1.Basic telephone Screening
2.Online coding challenge
3.Telephonic Technical Interview
4.Full day of onsite interviews.

All the rounds are easy..onsite interviews test all your skills problem solving,design,algortihms and coding..
The coding challenge at the very end of your onsite interview process is little challenging because you would be mentally exhausted by then

Interview Question – All the technical questions are relatively easy   Answer Question

Customer Loyalty Representative Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details The interview process may have changed since I interviewed. It's very informal. You may be asked questions that have absolutely nothing to do with retail or the job you're applying for. Be humble, do not try to sell yourself as if you are just the best customer service rep ever. Just be honest and bubbly.

Interview Question – You could be asked, what your theme song would be. You could also be asked, what super hero you would be. And why.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

Interview Details A Challenge and an video interview

Interview Question – challenge was pretty easy   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details The interview process was simple until it came to the video interview. The initial interview where they asked questions on paper were a bit misleading at first as they didn't have much to do with the job, but the web interview was very on point. However, I received an email a week after I had submitted my video (and received confirmation that my video was received), saying that since I "had not submitted" my interview, I was removed from the pool of consideration. Even after I emailed several times inquiring as to where my interview might have gone, and offering to resubmit by the next morning (even though I got the email at 10 pm), I was not contacted again.

Interview Question – What is something weird that makes you happy?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

ZCLT (Customer Loyalty Employee, Aka Call Center/Sales Representative ) Interview

Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2013.

Interview Details There are many stages to the interview and hiring process. Starting with a skype style interview, followed by testing & 2 personal interviews.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question asked of me was, "what is your favorite curse word".   Answer Question

Intern (Software Engineering) Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details Applied through their online job portal. First round "interview" was recording myself via webcam answering several "culture" and trivia programming questions. Other reviews have examples of their ridiculous personality questions. The programming questions covered Java. Example, "What does the 'final' keyword do?" This portion was not difficult at all. There were 3 chances to do the recordings, so if you were so inclined you could just waste the first one to see what the questions were and then prep/look up your answers.

I got an email to schedule a second skype interview about a week after submitting the first round. The interview was with two engineers. They asked me a few more "culture questions ("If you had to plan a parade, what would be the theme?") and one technical question.

Question:
You are given a list of strings. The first word's last three letters set a rhyme scheme. Count how many words in the list share that rhyme scheme.

A week later, I was contacted by the college recruiter to schedule a third interview. I learned I had passed the second round, but they had already filled the SE internship. She offered to submit my application for another position, but I was soon notified that I had been rejected.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Zappos Family

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!

The Zappos Family Videos

The Zappos Family – Why Work for Us?

Why join us? In January 2012, Zappos.com, Inc. and its subsidiaries were named #11 on FORTUNE’s 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Find out why: http://www.Fortune.com/BestCompanies. And . . . we’re hiring like crazy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Zappos Family interview questions and advice. All 127 interview reviews are posted anonymously by The Zappos Family employees and interview candidates.