The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Cashier

I applied in-person and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details I went to the national hiring day job fair and I applied online for the position. I was told it would make the process faster. I was sent a reference number by e-mail to take with me. I had never attended a job fair before.
I arrived early but there were approx. 20 people in line in front of me. Shortly after I arrived about 100 people showed up. I waited in line about 30 min before I was able to speak with someone. The job fair interview was relaxed and easy I spent about five min there before I was given a second interview.

Second interview was great! all the questions were on a form and related to customer service issues(almost like a test) Halfway during the interview the hr manager broke off and called dept manager. She explained to me that she though I would be underutilized at cash and thought I would be great doing sales! The dept manager had no time to meet with me during the allotted interview time so it was left that they would get in touch in a few weeks. they asked for references.
I took it upon myself to find the dept manager to introduced myself, and he granted me a 3rd interview.
I have now spoken with the dept manager and am just waiting to here.

Interview Question – What makes a great customer service associate?   View Answer

Taylor, MI (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2013.

Interview Details Two interviews, one with cashier manager and store manager. It was typical, casual, professional. After the interview, I was called back in to get my apron and learn how to clock in. Given a tour and introduction meeting with a video about the company and its culture.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation, just the way things are.

Very Easy Interview

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details Received a phone call from the Hiring Center and answered a few questions. I was then set up for an interview at my store and hired on the spot. It was really simple and there was not anything hard about it. Home Depot is desperate for people that want to work.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult.   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details originally, I applied for merchandizing position online. They called me a few days after and after a phone interview, they invited me for an actual interview at the store. I met the merchandizing team leader, cool guy, we talked for some time, he showed me what exactly merchandizing means since i didn't have experience with this type of job. Than he found out about my experience as store associate and dealing with customers. The questions were pretty common, nothing specific and nothing tricky. Remember, the main focus is customers and safety! The interview was close to an hour.

Later the same day he called me and asked me to go and apply online for cashier position and than call a different person and schedule an interview. I did that and the next day I was there for another interview with a different manager. This one was more customer service oriented and again nothing stressful or tricky, talked about my previous experience and than got scheduled for a second interview the next day. The next day I met, i think, the store manager, he was a little too serious but still nice. This is where I got offered a position and talked about salary. I was asked to go take drug test and than we were gonna talk about start day.

The questions were really pretty common for retail jobs. The focus is, as I said - customers and safety! Remember customers always come first, whatever you are doing and they come and ask for help and interrupt, you just smile and help with whatever you can. Do not ever make customer feel bad and worry about your personal problems or whatever could be stressing you at that moment. They should be getting as positive experience at the store as possible. And the other focus - safety! Learn and know the safety rules and follow them without exception!

Interview Question – What would you do if you get frustrated with a customer?   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details Applied online and got an automated call about 2 weeks later. The automated call asked different questions: are you willing to provide a service within the standards of The Home Depot, are you willing to work part time?.... Then I was transferred to someone from HR. Was asked usual questions: Tell me about a time when you solved a problem at work...were you the one in charge or part of the team, what was the outcome?. Then was given a date for the face to face interview.

Interview Question – In the online application I stated I could speak another language. Was asked to translate a sentence.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was offered a full time position somewhere else.

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details First, I applied online. I received a call over A MONTH after, to my surprise, and was interviewed over the phone, first by an machine and next by a representative, who asked me to 'Discuss a time in which I had to solve a problem or take a lead role in a position. How did you handle it?' and two other similar questions. The representative was impressed enough and set up an in-store interview for me promptly.

Interview Question – They will ask many questions about situations in your previous position. If this is your first job, just discuss times involving school and extra-curriculars that you had to handle something not everyone does.   View Answer

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Part-Time Cashier
Claymont, DE (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details I applied online. I submitted a battery of online psychological and other tests. It maybe took a week before I received a call from a centralized HR staffing center. I went in for the interview. Except for the fact that the interviewer read from a list of interview questions, I was impressed with him.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating at Home Depot. It's their way or the highway.

Centerville, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details Applied online did the test, 4 days later got an email about making a phone interview. the phone interview was short 3 questions that's all. Why do you think you are suitable for this position?
Difficult task and what was the outcome ?
How do you go above and beyond to deliver an excellent customer service

Interview Question – it was pretty easy   Answer Question

Kapolei, HI (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details I got hired by asking an employ how they got hired. They said fill out app on line and call and talk to the HR manager and that is what I did. We talked a little on the phone and she set me up for an interview with her. After the interview she called about a week later and had me come in a second time to offer me a position as a cashier, not what I applied for. I took it.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was if I would except the offer she gave me. It was less than half what I used to make.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a take it or leave it. No negotiation but said I could have time to think about it.

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details had phone interview. called me back for an in person interview.. asked "what would you do if..." questions. Fairly easy interview. Interviewer was very nice, laid back. I dressed business casual

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!