The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct, 2014

2.2

275 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

Applied online, two days later got an email to come in and do a group interview. There was me and a few other girls. Manger was super friendly and engaging. It felt like I was just meeting some new people, as it was pretty stress free. I tried to be outgoing and that appeared to be key. The quieter girls did not get hired. Got a call few days later and they offered me a position.

Interview Questions
  • Explain how your worked through a difficult situation at work.   Answer Question
Offered far above minimum wage, no negotiation from me.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Sales Associate Interview

One interview, management very friendly, general questions and role play

Very smooth transition

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

I applied online then got an email asking to come in for a group interview. I arrived about 15 minutes early, told a sales associate i was here for a interview. They said the interviewer wasn't ready and said to wait. I browsed around the store and notice a couple people waiting so i assumed they were here for the group interview too.
    10-15 after the time the interview should have started they asked us to go through a back door, it was basically their stock room. They had chairs for the seven of us to sit.
    The interview was really nice, he introduced himself and told us how long hes been with the company and how he use to work for Gap in another continent before be promoted and moving here.

Interview question were:
    Tell me about yourself/something unique about you?
    What kind of style is Gap?
    Who is Gap targeted towards/ who shops there?
    What do you think customers look for when they come into the store?
    Why do you want to work here?
    I noticed the interview wast talking any notes but just listening and responding to our answers so i assumed he was already interested in hiring us.

At the end of the interview we were able to ask questions. The main question i think most of us wanted to know was how many people they were planning to hire. They want to hire about 50 people. I was shocked, considering the interviewer said they have 150+ employees.
    I kind of became less interesting because i realized i wouldn't get many shifts.
    He told us he would email all of us and let us know if they wanted to continue the hiring process or not.
    A couple days later i got another email asking to come in for another group interview i agreed. When i got there it turned out it wasn't a group interview. It was a one on one with a store manager and we had to pick out an outfit and sell it to the manager in the middle of the busy store (it was a Friday Afternoon).
    I was taken off guard and i didn't do so well on selling the outfit which is important in retail.

I was told i would get a call about the interview and whether i would be moving forward or not, but never did.

Overall it was a good experience and i will be more prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Selling an outfit to the store manager in the store while there were customers shopping.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Group interview (about 10 people). Everyone took turns to answer the question. The interview was about an hour long. All questions were situation-based and personal experience-based.

Interview Questions
    • You had to try to sell what you were wearing to the interview. Yes, that means getting up and presenting your outfit!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

interview process was very simple, i was just asked when i could work and why i wanted to work at gap!

Interview Questions
    • it was really unexpected that they only asked two questions, i got to ask what happened to their lingerie for women and i got a good thorough answer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Group interview, we were basically pulled aside on a group interview and were given several behavioural questions and a challenge on how would you sell something in you are wearing right now. Pretty easy going

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell something you are wearing right now?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Applied in person. Got a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done above and beyond for a customer in your past experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in August 2013.

Applied online for a seasonal sales associate assistant. Got an interview a week later and the interview was very casual and was more of a chat with the laid back manager. Received a second interview on spot for a week later.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Super nervous in the beginning, but very relaxed interview. The interviewer was super nice, felt very converstional.

Interview Questions
    • Have you been in a situation where your co-workers were not getting along? What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

I applied online (they do not take in store applications) and was called about a month later. I had a group interview and the manager doing the interviews was very nice and gave everyone an opportunity to answer the questions thoroughly. If she wasn't sure of your answer or was intrigued, then she would ask you to explain your answer or go into further detail. They like hearing about legendary customer service that in turn creates brand loyalty.

Interview Questions
    • You see a customer who you think is going to steal a red tshirt. What do you do?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. It was 10.56/hr and would increase as you stayed with the company and if you didn't have any previous reprimands.