The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep, 2014

2.2

269 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

One interview, management very friendly, general questions and role play

Very smooth transition

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

I applied online then got an email asking to come in for a group interview. I arrived about 15 minutes early, told a sales associate i was here for a interview. They said the interviewer wasn't ready and said to wait. I browsed around the store and notice a couple people waiting so i assumed they were here for the group interview too.
    10-15 after the time the interview should have started they asked us to go through a back door, it was basically their stock room. They had chairs for the seven of us to sit.
    The interview was really nice, he introduced himself and told us how long hes been with the company and how he use to work for Gap in another continent before be promoted and moving here.

Interview question were:
    Tell me about yourself/something unique about you?
    What kind of style is Gap?
    Who is Gap targeted towards/ who shops there?
    What do you think customers look for when they come into the store?
    Why do you want to work here?
    I noticed the interview wast talking any notes but just listening and responding to our answers so i assumed he was already interested in hiring us.

At the end of the interview we were able to ask questions. The main question i think most of us wanted to know was how many people they were planning to hire. They want to hire about 50 people. I was shocked, considering the interviewer said they have 150+ employees.
    I kind of became less interesting because i realized i wouldn't get many shifts.
    He told us he would email all of us and let us know if they wanted to continue the hiring process or not.
    A couple days later i got another email asking to come in for another group interview i agreed. When i got there it turned out it wasn't a group interview. It was a one on one with a store manager and we had to pick out an outfit and sell it to the manager in the middle of the busy store (it was a Friday Afternoon).
    I was taken off guard and i didn't do so well on selling the outfit which is important in retail.

I was told i would get a call about the interview and whether i would be moving forward or not, but never did.

Overall it was a good experience and i will be more prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Selling an outfit to the store manager in the store while there were customers shopping.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Group interview (about 10 people). Everyone took turns to answer the question. The interview was about an hour long. All questions were situation-based and personal experience-based.

Interview Questions
    • You had to try to sell what you were wearing to the interview. Yes, that means getting up and presenting your outfit!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap.

interview process was very simple, i was just asked when i could work and why i wanted to work at gap!

Interview Questions
    • it was really unexpected that they only asked two questions, i got to ask what happened to their lingerie for women and i got a good thorough answer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Group interview, we were basically pulled aside on a group interview and were given several behavioural questions and a challenge on how would you sell something in you are wearing right now. Pretty easy going

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell something you are wearing right now?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Applied in person. Got a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done above and beyond for a customer in your past experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2013.

Applied online for a seasonal sales associate assistant. Got an interview a week later and the interview was very casual and was more of a chat with the laid back manager. Received a second interview on spot for a week later.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Super nervous in the beginning, but very relaxed interview. The interviewer was super nice, felt very converstional.

Interview Questions
    • Have you been in a situation where your co-workers were not getting along? What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Gap.

I applied online (they do not take in store applications) and was called about a month later. I had a group interview and the manager doing the interviews was very nice and gave everyone an opportunity to answer the questions thoroughly. If she wasn't sure of your answer or was intrigued, then she would ask you to explain your answer or go into further detail. They like hearing about legendary customer service that in turn creates brand loyalty.

Interview Questions
    • You see a customer who you think is going to steal a red tshirt. What do you do?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. It was 10.56/hr and would increase as you stayed with the company and if you didn't have any previous reprimands.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in May 2013.

Was told to come to a group interview right after dropping by the local gap requesting for job opportunity. There were two other candidates at the interview. The manager was chill and friendly. She asked us to basically go around answer the questions. She didn't ask anything out of the blue. There were questions you can relate to either previous jobs or school such as why do you want to work in gap and how did you resolve this issue under this circumstances. How do you deal with pressure or prioritizing. Also, she was very keen on customer service. She expect you to be a people person.

Interview Questions
    • All I could suggest really is just to show your most energetic side and always have the smile on when you are answering her questions. Well of course the eye contact is essential as well.   Answer Question

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!