The Gap

Getting the Interview

479 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Montreal, QC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details Group interview (about 10 people). Everyone took turns to answer the question. The interview was about an hour long. All questions were situation-based and personal experience-based.

Interview Question – You had to try to sell what you were wearing to the interview. Yes, that means getting up and presenting your outfit!   Answer Question

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details One interview, management very friendly, general questions and role play

Negotiation Details – Very smooth transition

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online then got an email asking to come in for a group interview. I arrived about 15 minutes early, told a sales associate i was here for a interview. They said the interviewer wasn't ready and said to wait. I browsed around the store and notice a couple people waiting so i assumed they were here for the group interview too.
10-15 after the time the interview should have started they asked us to go through a back door, it was basically their stock room. They had chairs for the seven of us to sit.
The interview was really nice, he introduced himself and told us how long hes been with the company and how he use to work for Gap in another continent before be promoted and moving here.

Interview question were:
Tell me about yourself/something unique about you?
What kind of style is Gap?
Who is Gap targeted towards/ who shops there?
What do you think customers look for when they come into the store?
Why do you want to work here?
I noticed the interview wast talking any notes but just listening and responding to our answers so i assumed he was already interested in hiring us.

At the end of the interview we were able to ask questions. The main question i think most of us wanted to know was how many people they were planning to hire. They want to hire about 50 people. I was shocked, considering the interviewer said they have 150+ employees.
I kind of became less interesting because i realized i wouldn't get many shifts.
He told us he would email all of us and let us know if they wanted to continue the hiring process or not.
A couple days later i got another email asking to come in for another group interview i agreed. When i got there it turned out it wasn't a group interview. It was a one on one with a store manager and we had to pick out an outfit and sell it to the manager in the middle of the busy store (it was a Friday Afternoon).
I was taken off guard and i didn't do so well on selling the outfit which is important in retail.

I was told i would get a call about the interview and whether i would be moving forward or not, but never did.

Overall it was a good experience and i will be more prepared.

Interview Question – Selling an outfit to the store manager in the store while there were customers shopping.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details Group interview, we were basically pulled aside on a group interview and were given several behavioural questions and a challenge on how would you sell something in you are wearing right now. Pretty easy going

Interview Question – How would you sell something you are wearing right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details interview process was very simple, i was just asked when i could work and why i wanted to work at gap!

Interview Question – it was really unexpected that they only asked two questions, i got to ask what happened to their lingerie for women and i got a good thorough answer   Answer Question

Montreal, QC

I applied in-person - interviewed at The Gap in June 2011.

Interview Details I left my CV and two days after (this was during the summer) they called me for an interview. I was interviewed by one of the managers. She was nice. I started a week later. I got the chance of choosing which department I wanted to work in. I stayed on that department (kids) for the period of time I worked there.

Interview Question – How you would handle a client that is not satisfied with one of the products or services provided by the company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – During the interview. I accepted immediately.

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2013.

Interview Details Applied online for a seasonal sales associate assistant. Got an interview a week later and the interview was very casual and was more of a chat with the laid back manager. Received a second interview on spot for a week later.

Interview Question – Who was your favourite boss any why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details Apply for a position through their website, 1 and a half week later they sent an email calling for a group interview, had to wait one more week for the interview. They had two groups of about 5 people to be interviewed separately. The assistant manager took us to an open space to accommodate everyone, was polite and casual. Did about about 5 different questions to each person. At the end explained a few schedule requirements for the position.

Interview Question – unexpected questions: try to sell us one of the items you are wearing now, how do you know you are having a good day.
other questions: tell a time when you did a mistake, got a feedback, worked with peopleyou didnt like. why do you want to work at the gap, from where do you get you style inspiration in the morning,
  Answer Question

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details Applied in person. Got a group interview.

Interview Question – What have you done above and beyond for a customer in your past experience   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in October 2012.

Interview Details did the application online told me to come in for group interview straight forward

Interview Question – interviewer was very rude not into the whole process   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap interview questions and advice. All 479 interview reviews are posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.