The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.4

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

I applied for the job online and was called to come in for an interview the next day. I met with one of the managers, he asked me my email, when I was available and explained to me what the duties of this job was. My interview lasted about 5 minutes and he didn't ask any typical interview questions. I received an email the next day telling me that I got the job and listed the salary as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Group interview (about 10 people). Everyone took turns to answer the question. The interview was about an hour long. All questions were situation-based and personal experience-based.

Interview Questions
    • You had to try to sell what you were wearing to the interview. Yes, that means getting up and presenting your outfit!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

One interview, management very friendly, general questions and role play

Very smooth transition

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

I applied online then got an email asking to come in for a group interview. I arrived about 15 minutes early, told a sales associate i was here for a interview. They said the interviewer wasn't ready and said to wait. I browsed around the store and notice a couple people waiting so i assumed they were here for the group interview too.
    10-15 after the time the interview should have started they asked us to go through a back door, it was basically their stock room. They had chairs for the seven of us to sit.
    The interview was really nice, he introduced himself and told us how long hes been with the company and how he use to work for Gap in another continent before be promoted and moving here.

Interview question were:
    Tell me about yourself/something unique about you?
    What kind of style is Gap?
    Who is Gap targeted towards/ who shops there?
    What do you think customers look for when they come into the store?
    Why do you want to work here?
    I noticed the interview wast talking any notes but just listening and responding to our answers so i assumed he was already interested in hiring us.

At the end of the interview we were able to ask questions. The main question i think most of us wanted to know was how many people they were planning to hire. They want to hire about 50 people. I was shocked, considering the interviewer said they have 150+ employees.
    I kind of became less interesting because i realized i wouldn't get many shifts.
    He told us he would email all of us and let us know if they wanted to continue the hiring process or not.
    A couple days later i got another email asking to come in for another group interview i agreed. When i got there it turned out it wasn't a group interview. It was a one on one with a store manager and we had to pick out an outfit and sell it to the manager in the middle of the busy store (it was a Friday Afternoon).
    I was taken off guard and i didn't do so well on selling the outfit which is important in retail.

I was told i would get a call about the interview and whether i would be moving forward or not, but never did.

Overall it was a good experience and i will be more prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Selling an outfit to the store manager in the store while there were customers shopping.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Group interview, we were basically pulled aside on a group interview and were given several behavioural questions and a challenge on how would you sell something in you are wearing right now. Pretty easy going

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell something you are wearing right now?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap.

interview process was very simple, i was just asked when i could work and why i wanted to work at gap!

Interview Questions
    • it was really unexpected that they only asked two questions, i got to ask what happened to their lingerie for women and i got a good thorough answer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied in-person - interviewed at The Gap in June 2011.

I left my CV and two days after (this was during the summer) they called me for an interview. I was interviewed by one of the managers. She was nice. I started a week later. I got the chance of choosing which department I wanted to work in. I stayed on that department (kids) for the period of time I worked there.

Interview Questions
    • How you would handle a client that is not satisfied with one of the products or services provided by the company.   Answer Question
    During the interview. I accepted immediately.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2013.

Applied online for a seasonal sales associate assistant. Got an interview a week later and the interview was very casual and was more of a chat with the laid back manager. Received a second interview on spot for a week later.

No negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Apply for a position through their website, 1 and a half week later they sent an email calling for a group interview, had to wait one more week for the interview. They had two groups of about 5 people to be interviewed separately. The assistant manager took us to an open space to accommodate everyone, was polite and casual. Did about about 5 different questions to each person. At the end explained a few schedule requirements for the position.

Interview Questions
    • unexpected questions: try to sell us one of the items you are wearing now, how do you know you are having a good day.
      other questions: tell a time when you did a mistake, got a feedback, worked with peopleyou didnt like. why do you want to work at the gap, from where do you get you style inspiration in the morning,
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Applied in person. Got a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done above and beyond for a customer in your past experience   Answer Question

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!