Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr, 2015
Updated 15 Apr, 2015

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and had two online interviews. One of which asked to answer a few questions by myself, the other was actually talking to a representative. The questions were not too difficult, but it was hard to convey communication skills while not in person.

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Three rounds. The first round was on campus. The manager asked about my project (I could talk about any project). It was more behavioral. The second round was a web-session interview. Two engineers asked about my projects, and asked both technical (they asked me questions based on the project I talked with them) and behavioral questions (have you ever had difficulty working with someone in a team?). They flew me in Dallas for the third round. Two managers each asked me for one hour. Both were heavily technical interview sessions.
    I was not happy in that although I was in for a digital verification role, the first manager grilled me hard on analog circuit and device physics related questions.

Interview Questions

• Draw the inverter's voltage transfer curve and explain what happens in each phase.
      Draw the cross section of a transistor and explain body effect.

Answer Question

Technical Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Round 1: They had me record my answers to some questions via an online recruiting website. I needed a webcam to record my answers. They got back to me within a week and I set up a time for round 2.

Round 2: Same as round 1 except there as a person live on the other side and we talked about basic experiences and behavioral type questions. A week later I was told I got into round 3 and would be flown to Texas for the final stage.

Round 3: I got flown to Texas and put in a hotel. That night I went out with a group of people that were also there for interviews as well as current people in the program that had only been working for TI for under a year. The next day I went to there headquarters and had 3 mini interviews. One of them was a test to see if I could ask the proper questions to sell somebody a vacation package just to see what questions I would ask. The other two were basic interviews with two groups of two people. They catered lunch as well.

Within a week after I was told I didn't get the job and when I asked what I may have done wrong or what skill I may have been missing the guy on the phone had no idea and said he just calls people to say they got it or not and he didn't know anything else.

Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to simulate selling a vacation package   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments (Delhi (India)).

Interview

The hiring process was part of Texas Instruments India's campus internship programmes (for pre-final year students). It began with a pre-placement talk by TI India in which they explained the benefits of working at TI, the challenges faced, etc. It was more of an informative session which was concluded with their announcement of an online test to be held later.

The online test was held around a month after the session. It consisted of two parts - a technical part, in which the basics of electronics were tested (basic OP-AMPs, RLC circuits, Bode plots, etc.), and an aptitude part (general probability-based questions, division of x chocolates among y children, etc).

Around a month after that, the shortlisted candidates were intimated and were told that the next round would be held soon. The details weren't intimated as to where it would be held and the exact date. After a month, they were contacted again and were informed of the venue and the date of the further rounds.

The first interview round comprised a tete-a-tete in which the main focus was on circuit basics, viz. amplifier configurations, fundamental OP-AMP concepts (for example, questions like What is negative feedback and why is it important?), transfer functions of RLC circuits (LPF, HPF, etc.), and a few questions related to ideal voltmeters, ammeters, voltage and current sources, etc.

The results were announced soon after everyone was done with their interviews and the shortlist for the second round was immediately announced. After about 15 minutes, the second round began. This time around, the applicants were interviewed by two people together, and questions were similar to the ones asked in the first round (a few variations here and there, but more or less sticking to the very basics; a little trickily framed questions though).

After the second round, the shortlisted candidates had an HR round in which basic personal details, plans for post-graduation, a bit of trivia about Texas Instruments, etc were asked and the personalities of the prospective interns were gauged.

Around 15 minutes after the HR round, the hired interns were announced and were presented with the offer letters. It was a good experience overall and it became clear that for one to become a TI intern, their fundamentals of electronics must be crystal clear, and the person should have a good presence of mind during the course of the interview, not to mention, keep calm as well.

Interview Questions

• Using an ideal ammeter, voltmeter, current and voltage sources, and faulty probes (impedance unknown), how can you calculate the resistance of an ideal resistor?   1 Answer

Texhnical Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

I applied online with a referral and within a few days they sent an email asking for me to take 5 minute "get to know you interview." This was basically a screening to make sure you are able to talk to someone. The next phase was a 30 minute online live interview with a representative. And the final phase was they flew me down to dallas for a welcome dinner and two interviews and a simulation the next day.

Treasury Interview

Interview

Two rounds of interview. First round with line manager and second round with director. All behavioral based question regarding your past experiences and went through your resume. The director interview is a little bit stress-based interview to see if you can handle it well under pressure. But the director is nice.

Technical Sales Engineering Rotation Program Interview

Interview

Started at the on-campus career fair, where I approached TI's booth and spoke with a rep in tech sales. After discussing my interest and qualifications, I was informed of their interest to do on on-site 30 minute interview a few hours later. When I returned for the interview I was asked a variety of behavioral questions, with a lot of "describe a time when/where you" questions, specifically with questions such as "failed" "encourtered hardship" "had a co-worker not contributing" as well as "describe how a transistor works to us if we were joe-schmoes." After this interview, I was told I would be contacted if they wanted to continue the process. I was then contacted two weeks later via email & phone, and was directed to an online interview process to be completed in the next 48 hours. I then went online and was asked 6 questions, 5 about specific times where I encountered some sort of relationship-based hardship or success. Heavy emphasis on "Talk about a specific time". After that, I was contacted for an interview with a hiring manager, scheduled for one hour. He wasn't too friendly and really emphasized technical aptitude, whereas the prior interview emphasized more behavioral. I struggled with pulling out specific incidences he was looking for. Questions included tell me a time you had a problem in a relationship with someone and how it came out, tell me a time where you did something very challenging, tell me a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

Interviewed for a product/test engineering internship through my university career fair. There was an initial 1:1 behavioral interview (with a very easy technical question) shortly after career fair. After 2 weeks, I heard back that they wanted me to move onto a 2nd round video interview (in 1 week). My video interview was more technical and project based, and they asked me to give a 10 minute presentation on a project I had previously worked on. One week after, I heard back about my offer. They initially gave me 2 weeks to decide on the position, but I was able to extend this (they said they usually don't offer interns extensions, but I was an exception).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate salary, but I was able to negotiate my response date for another 2.5 weeks.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

The hiring process started off with a written test.
    The questions asked consisted of two parts.

Part A - Consisted of questions based on the internship position being applied for. I applied for Analog Design Engineer Internship and was asked questions based on basic MOSFET working (small signal analysis, DC biasing) and to solve RC networks.

Part B - Consisted of standard aptitude questions.

There were two technical interview rounds for the shortlisted candidates.

First Interview - Was based on the way the solutions were found for technical questions in the test and extra questions based on basic MOSFET inverters and opamps.

Second Interview - Based on RC networks and Network Analysis. Questions similar to predicting voltage variations and current variations for a given input at different nodes of a network were asked to be illustrated.

After 2 Technical rounds there was one HR round which consisted of standard HR questions which allowed one to express what they want in life and how they see themselves and others around them.

Interview Questions

• Voltage variations at different nodes for complex RC networks for a given sine wave input.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

First interview was in person and were behavioral questions. The only technical questions was at the end. Question: Describe the voltage characteristics of a battery and a capacitor in parallel.

Second interview was over the phone. They wanted to know about specifics about the projects I have completed.

Third interview is on onsite. I have yet to be interviewed. No offer yet if any.