Tata Consultancy Services

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services.

Interview Details Standard quick HR phone interview, followed by on Campus interview. The campus interview was with 2 other software engineers and 1 HR employee. Went through my resume, explained my relevant experiences and discussed them. Was asked about programming language experience from Co-op and school. Asked about black/white/grey-box testing.
Then the HR employee asked me some HR questions: Conflict Resolution w/ example, how to handle and deal with criticism w/ example, how to manage tasks with high pressure and deadlines w/ example.

No real technical interview came which was surprising.

Interview Question – Explain what Black,White,and Grey Box testing is.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Received another offer.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied for Java Senior Software Developer position.

First HR manager checked my desired salary, notice period and other details like work status in Canada. Then book the interview time in the same time. There were three interviewers who asked me questions. First of all, they really struggled to talk in English and sometimes they don't know how to communicate their questions. I answered all the questions properly as I know how TCS interview questions would be. The questions are average and any 3 year Java candidate could answer those questions, especially candidates like me who worked in India.

The interview went around 40-60 mins and one interviewer tipped me that I don't have web based experience (I worked only on web applications for 6yrs). Still, they mentioned that they would call me back, but never did.

I would say TCS-Canada interviews for IT positions are nothing but a fake to fool the Canadian LMO policies. In order to bring Indian workers to Canada, they have to show that TCS couldn't find local resources in Canada.

Let's assume if TCS hired you for a position and the payment is 60k, then they have to keep you forever by paying 60k and benefits. But on the other hand, TCS can bring Indian candidates by paying them same 60k. The real twist is, after 2 years they will send Indian candidates back to India. For TCS, paying 60k for 2 years is easy comparing life long payment to local (Canadian) candidates.

Don't waste your time with TCS. It's my personal option and it may vary for others.

Interview Question – Basic questions in Java, J2EE, Javascript, Jquery, Agile concepts. Nothing was difficult I would say.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied through a career fair at university and got a call from HR after two weeks

Interview Question – How would you solve a complex problem given to you?
Among C and C++, which one is closer to system level?
How is multiple inheritance allowed in C++
  View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Toronto, ON

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in June 2010.

Interview Details First round by the superior with whom you will work. This is moderate level difficult. Next level with the client side functional manager.

Interview Question – Experience in the related field for which you are being recruited. Explaining the experience in the technology area of the proposed project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in October 2011.

Interview Details Phone Interview, Initial Learning Training

Software Test Engineer Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in July 2011.

Interview Details After looking at monster.ca, I have applied by email to the position and got an interview call. I was interviewed twice for testing my technical abilities, once for the Manegerial abilities and once by the HR.

Interview Question – Questions about Manual Testing, Differences between Functional, Performance, Unit, Regression, Load, Stress, Volume testing.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – TCS HR was considerate and reasonable enough to negotiate. Didnt outright accept / deny my offer.

Technical Systems Analyst Interview

Toronto, ON

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in December 2010.

Interview Details It was for the onsite opportunity, it was a mixture of technical and domain level.

Interview Question – Mainframe technical questions related to DB2, JCL, COBOL, VSAM. It wasnt something unusually different   Answer Question

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Toronto, ON

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in December 2011.

Interview Details I was contacted by TATA HR ( very helpful and nice person)about a month after handing in my resume at a career fair at a university campus. they scheduled me a phone interview - consisted of basic java questions and little SQL.
i was contacted a week and half later and was given a verbal offer and requested my transcripts, a written offer was sent 3 days after.

overall was good process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Offer was really good and i was content with it, so i did not negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tata Consultancy Services in May 2011.

Interview Details Someone from TCS Canada called after reviewing my resume in Monster. They were no so polite and instead of asking for the time for interview, they mentioned they'd like to interview the same day in the noon. The interview went on fine. It was very unprofessional and looked like they were faking the interview process. In the end, they mentioned I have done well and they would decide on the offer, but never got back since then. Another friend of mine, had a very similar experience and he mentioned that it is common for them to do such things just to get LMO approved for their employees in India. A mockery of Canadian LMO system.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Tata Consultancy Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tata Consultancy Services interview questions and advice in Toronto, ON. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tata Consultancy Services employees and interview candidates.