Takeda Pharmaceuticals Interview Questions

Updated 12 Apr, 2015
Updated 12 Apr, 2015

3.1

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative - Team I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals (Columbus, GA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a 3rd party hiring firm about a position the company had been trying to fill in a more rural type location. She walked through a basic phone interview and reviewed my resume. I was sent to a "video" interview link using an app called HireVue the next day. It was pretty simple to use and they allowed 3 days for completion at my time convenience. (Use the "sample questions" and get familiar with the process before you jump right in.)

They asked 5 basic questions semi related to sales in general and one "type your answer" question asking if I'd be willing to relocate with no financial assistance. The video interview wasn't my favorite style because you're unable to know specifically what their looking for with such broad questions. It was just pre determined questions that you're given thirty seconds to prepare for and 3 minutes to answer.

Questions:
    1.) Why are you interested in working for Takeda?
    2.) What would you consider the toughest sales job?
    3.) What do you think makes a good sales representative?
    4.) Tell about a when you experienced an interpersonal problem at work and how you handled it.
    5.) Tell about the time when you had to sale a product to someone who didn't know you.

The process took only one day from the time I was initially contacted by the 3rd party hiring agent to get the video interview completed. After that was submitted, I didn't hear a "yes" or "no" regarding their decision for almost two weeks. I then contacted the hiring agent and inquired about a response because I was offered another sales position with one week to respond. I wanted to make sure all offers were on the table before I accepted any position. Eight days after my deadline to accept the other company's offer (which I did thankfully instead of waiting for a response) I was contacted by email saying Takeda "was going to seek other opportunities and they wished me the best in my new career."

* Disclaimer: I had no experience in pharmaceuticals, healthcare, or anything thing remotely related to Takeda's industry. I was an account manager / outside sales representative for 3 years with a web development company. I'm not really sure why they were interested in contacting me besides they had been trying to fill the position for 3+ months.

I did hours upon hours of research about the company and the products they sold to prepare for more technical sales questions. There was no opportunity to get in depth for anything relating to that though. Takeda does seem to be a very successful company on a global scale. They pay their representatives much more than other pharmaceutical companies.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider the toughest sales job?   1 Answer
    • Tell about the time when you had to sale a product to someone who didn't know you.   1 Answer

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals (San Antonio, TX (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online through a company referral for an Entry Level position. Contacted by phone the next day with a representative from the contract company Quintiles. Representative gave me an overview of the position, pay, benefits, etc.. then proceeded to ask me basic questions regarding my resume, education, and why I want to work in this industry. Had to do a personality assessment online and would be contacted if "approved".

Next day received an email inviting me to the Face-to-face interview in Houston. The email also listed items to bring- brag book, presentation to sell, copies of my resume. Flew me out (all transportation covered) and met with the hiring manager. Be familiar with the STAR format to answer the behavioral type questions. "Tell me about a time..." Very comfortable and easy interview if you come prepared with "stories" to answer the questions. No presentation of "sell me something" was asked.

Couple of days later I received a phone call letting me know I was advancing to the final interview in Dallas. He sent me an email with ways to prepare for the interview, once again flew me out to Dallas where I met with the District Sales Manager and Regional Manager of Takeda. Very comfortable setting, asked me about myself, a few behavioral type questions, why I want to work here and what do I know about the company. Over all very easy process.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you found it difficult to persuade somebody to buy your product"
      "Tell me about a time you were put in a stressful situation, and how did you overcome it"

Answer Question

Negotiation

Excellent pay, benefits, bonuses, company car... No negotiation necessary

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

Started with a video interview which was a recorded, one-sided Skype session based on a series of questions. If you haven't read any books on how to handle interview questions these may be difficult to answer off the top of your head.
    Next was a phone interview where they basically asked you to confirm what you have on your resume. He also asked me why I wanted to leave my current job in another field. Then he went over all of the benefits/compensation details. Make sure you have a question or two of your own ready before the call.

Interview Questions

• The video interview with no one on the other end took some getting used to, but they give three "practice questions" that you can repeat over and over until you become comfortable with the set-up. I highly recommend taking advantage of this feature.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals (San Diego, CA (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Came in to interview with supervisor. Briefly went over my experience and how it can be applied to job applying for. Asked why I was looking for a new job. Went over expectations and job duties. Asked expected hourly pay.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel this job will allow you to grow in your career?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

The interview process is long, and slow with this company. The actual interview with the District Managers is your typical sales interview type question like: Tell me about a time when..... It was a low pressure interview but lengthy, I spent about 45 with each person. I brought a Brag Book as suggested by the interview instructions, but no one asked to see it.

Interview Questions

• If you had to choose another career, what would it be.   Answer Question

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews seemed like a bit of overkill, but they were pleasant and low pressure. I was impressed. The panel interview was the least productive, but it was not a pressure situation. The entire process dragged out over a few months which was difficult.

Interview Questions

• The obsolete strength and weaknesses question was asked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals (Stockton, CA (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

It was pretty much to be expected, but unfortunately I was so tired I completely bombed the interview...luckily I was so tired I didn't even care about it. They flew me down to LA in the early morning and I did not get enough sleep the night before to be on my A game...BOO, but everyone was very nice and there is no need to be nervous.

Professional Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Process follows a very structured pattern of several interviews starting with a phone interview and leading to several in-person interviews. Expect a wide variety of questions that demonstrate the ability to think critically and on your feet.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions require a number of answers and require describing not only what your actions were, but the outcome and how it impacted others.   Answer Question

Professional Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals.

Interview

District Manager phone call, District Manager personal interview, District Manager/Regional Manager personal interview. The process was fairly quick once it started. All steps leading up to getting hired took approximately 2 weeks. I was barely able to give 2 weeks notice for my other job since they wanted me on board right away to get into the upcoming training meeting.

Interview Questions

• I was told to sell the manager's pen to him.   1 Answer

Negotiation

At the time, the salary offered was very favorable to what I was receiving at my previous job and I was up against someone with more sales experience so I took their offer.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Takeda Pharmaceuticals (Deerfield, IL (US)).

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. HR phone screen then phone interview with hiring manager. Given basic business case (small amount of data along with questions which needed to be answered using 10 PowerPoint slides) exactly one week before onsite interview. Onsite interview with hiring manager, hr, 2 peers, 3 managers, and 1 director. Got an offer the next week but background check took an additional 3-4 weeks (I think it was just red tape; I don't have a criminal record or financial issues).

I rated this interview as difficult because the business case took a few days to complete and I was asked analytic-thinking questions (not just behavioral questions or questions about past job experiences).

Initially wasn't interested in relocating to Chicago (I lived out of state) but my experience onsite was so positive I accepted their offer immediately.

Interview Questions

• What excel function would you use to return customer first names given the following data   1 Answer
    • When would 2 trains traveling at different rate of speeds meet, when would 2 cars traveling at different speeds catch up to one another   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation because the base salary was exactly what I told HR I was looking for (so be sure you have a number in mind!). The rest of the package (bonus, relocation, vacation, etc) was generous so I didn't feel the need to negotiate those either.