TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.8

Cordniator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

3 interviews, but they already know who they are hiring usually
    its just window dressing to keep public relations machine rolling strong. This company talks the talk but cant deliver

Business Analyst Interview

3 interviews, 1 over the phone, 1 one on one, 1 3 hour case study and interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies in November 2013.

After attending information session at Ryeron university, i applied through online. They phoned first to set up a schedule for the formal phone interview. Interview was about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • difficulties or challenges that you solved during group work   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at TJX Companies in October 2013.

Had a phone interview with recruiter. Discussed past experience. Discussed what I know of TJX companies operations and such.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to solve a problem by research   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in September 2013.

Made it through 2/4 interviews. After 2 weeks, I called to see what was going on. She said she had emailed me (she must have typed my email address incorrectly) and I didn't make it through. When I asked why, she said she had nothing written down...

Interview Questions
    • How would you allocate 250 Burberry umbrellas in June?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you used research to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Merchandise Associate Planner Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TJX Companies in January 2012.

Phone interview is the first step. They go through your resume and what you expect in a career i.e. what made you select this company, where do you see yourself in future etc. A lady did the interview and she was quite direct with the questions, wouldn't say helpful or even trying to make me feel better as the entire process felt a little robotic. Questions asked are things expected, they pretty much want you to go over what you did in your previous work and how it relates to the position you're applying to. They're also quite insistent on excel skills and you need to back it up with examples. I was told that the entire hiring process was in four steps: initial phone call, interview with the hr, interview with your future boss and the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think the company's doing from financial perspective?   View Answer

Allocations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in October 2012.

I had applied for the position online at the end of August. I did not hear back until the beginning of September when I received a call from HR. From this point she asked some additional questions regarding my experience and background in the industry and said that she would like to move forward with a phone interview. The phone interview was set up maybe a week later and it lasted about an hour. The questions were behavioural and she asked me about my resume as expected. After waiting a few days, I was contacted and was told that they were going to move me onto the 1:1 interview in a couple of weeks. When she called she gave me feedback and some insight as to what types of questions they were going to ask. She sent me an email detailing everything and forwarded me forms to fill out. When I got to the Mississauga Office for the interview there was another candidate in the waiting room. When greeted by the HR representative, she told me that she was not going to meet with me but that I was going to sit down with another HR recruiter and a manager instead. After about an hour of q & a from both sides -being asked very similar questions as the phone interview, the recruiter advised that I should hear back from them by Friday of that week. Needless to say, I was reading other reviews here about the interview process and after not hearing back on Friday, I did not hold my breath. Despite doing the best I could and having the skills and experience required for the position I guess I was not a good fit after all. Confirmation of this came via telephone by the HR recruiter who conducted my first telephone interview. This time she was not able to give me any feedback from the 1:1 interview. She did say that I presented myself well, however they were not going to move me along through the interview process.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in November 2010.

Process begins with screening phone interview to review resume.
    Next is a 1:1 interview with recruiter which reviews resume and a series of "Tell me about a time when you..."
    Next is an interview with HR senior and Operations Manager which is similar to previous interview with a greater focus on leadership and team skilss.
    Lastly is an interview with HR Manager and AVP, similar to previous two interviews with focus on 'fit' within the distribution facilities.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult associates?   Answer Question
    • We were in a unionized environment, how comfortable are you in such an environment?   Answer Question
    Not much as I was a recent graduate with little experience in the field.

Assistant Manager Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at TJX Companies in June 2009.

There is a phone interview - a week later there is an interview with the HR department in person then - the week after if you are selected of course - you will meet with the District Manager ...

Interview Questions
    • How did I as a Manager contribute to the bottom line   View Answer

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme, 2014 Interview

I applied online - interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!