TIAA-CREF

Updated 3 Feb, 2015
Updated 3 Feb, 2015

2.9

Senior Ops Specialist-Charlotte Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Had a 30 minute phone interview with HR and was called back 6 weeks later to interview. Met with 2 very nice ladies. It was not a formal interview, mainly a 3 way discussion. Started off with "tell me about yourself" then just a regular discussion, no questions and no note taking. I knew I was not getting the job before I left. One lady said"Good luck to you" and the other said "if you don't hear anything back from HR, it's not because I didn't follow up".Got the standard thanks for your interest email a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Spent time preparing for interview questions and researching the company. No interview questions asked, just a discussion.   Answer Question

Financial Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Typically a phone interview followed by an in person interview with one or two managers. This will be followed by another phone call with an offer if selected. Very comfortable environment to interview in. Do be prepared and ask plenty of questions. Take the time to learn about the company ahead of time. TIAA-CREF is not a public company.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

This is a difficult process, it includes a role play, multiple peer interviews, and multiple management interviews. There were multiple levels of interviews with other advisors, what isn't clear during those interviews is how much weight is given to each one. I now know that at any point your application can be derailed by any one individual you speak to, and they compare notes so a candidate should take notes during each interview.

Interview Questions
    • The role play scenario is typically the most difficult for candidates.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were tough, but I discovered later that I had done better than average. They are notoriously secretive about salaries and bonuses.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2015.

I applied online, and immediately got an email from the Talent Acquisition team member with some more questions, which I answered. He followed up with a phone call and talked a bit more about the position. After that he asked me if I would be interested (I said yes) and someone contacted me with an appointment date for the interview. So far I was very impressed with their promptness and professionalism.

However, during our talk, the interviewer kept checking their email every time they heard a chime. Then they suddenly got up to look for a cable to charge their cell-phone. The interview barely lasted 30 minutes. Never heard from them.

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

First Interview was a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Given some basic information, I was asked to estimate the water usage of a building that consisted of levels for different functions. It is more important to show your ability to analyze things than to come up with a number. The second round was composed of 4 30-minute interview. If you are not located in New York or Charlotte, you will most likely go to the local TIAA-CREF branch and do the interview over the internet. The interview was either one-on-one or two-on-one. The questions were mostly behavioral questions with no big surprise. You have to make sure that you know your resume very well.

Interview Questions
    It's a great company to work for. The intern salary was pretty good.

Wealth Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Very thorough interview process. Be leery of background check questionnaire. Apparently what it says and what it means are two different things. If you have a note or a loan from a previous firm, they will not hire you or will rescind an offer made to you regardless of the fact that the questionnaire doesn't say that.

Interview Questions
    • "Is there anything else we should know?"   View Answer
    Negotiation worked out fine. Offer was rescinded because they claim I answered a question wrong on a background check questionnaire, which is entirely untrue. Too bad, I would have been a tremendous asset to the firm. They'll continue to mine places like Scottrade and Schwab for under qualified advisors

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Regarding the phone interview, I was completely caught off guard. I applied for their actuarial internship position a couple of weeks ago, and the first time I hear from them was an immediate phone interview right off the bat.

They only asked me three simple behavioral questions and the whole call lasted around five minutes, but regardless, I am extremely surprised at their interview process so far. No prior contact such as emails or any notifications, just go straight to a phone interview without even asking the candidate what's the best time to reach them.

I was in my room playing video games, with almost no prior research or interview preparation, then I get a call from them asking if I could answer a few questions.

I was not mentally prepared at all.

I am most likely not going to get a second round interview because of this "process".

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Took 2 months+ to go through process. Multiple interviews. Start off with phone interview, once completed and qualified, move on to 3 additional interviews. All interviews were face to face except initial phone interview.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

4 interviews. Mostly managers just protecting their collective bonuses. No real sense of their desire to benefit their clients. Just grab wallet share. Very vague position details. Absolutely no post interview feedback. Very disorganized and unprofessional.

Looks like a place to flat line and give up your experience for an mediocre salary.

Interview Questions
    • Basic stuff. No “Google” questions. Manager was weak to incompetent.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

Recruiter contacts you first through phone, afterwards will set up panel interview with managers where you applied. Panel intervriew scheduled, wait on call back based on panel interview. Start on background employee check whil waiting to here back from panel intervriew. Recruiter you first spoke to reaches out to you