Symantec Interview Questions

Updated 23 Apr, 2015

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec (Toronto, ON).

Interview

HR Interview / Interview with Management / Interview with Director

Software Engineeroftware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Toronto, ON) in January 2011.

Interview

Technical test for two hours. Interview on technical concepts. General questions about last project strengths and weaknesses. Programming concepts. One to 4 people in interview process.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Toronto, ON) in November 2010.

Interview

Asked one design question for web proxy, and data structure question. C++ test on laptop. Asked for a short presentation on a topic. Then the usual behavioural questions, "Tell me about a time . . ."

Interview Questions

• The C++ questions. You need to know C++ syntax in detail. There's no compiler, just an editor to enter responses.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA (US)).

Interview

First Interview was over the phone, than hiring manager, after I had interview with his peers. One of his peers, had no experience about the position and was asking me to clarify what it would do for his team. Very awkward! I've got an offer and accepted it, and when I had a chance to interact with that individual, I learned first had he is a master in making people uncomfortable, very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• There are lots of ambiguity in the company/department/project. How do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer
    • They used a lot of old school jargon, and some of the acronyms from the current CEO   Answer Question

Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for a Problem Manager role. Interview was of 4 rounds.

Round 1: Preliminary HR Round

Round 2: Interviewed by 2 senior Problem Manager.

Round 3: Interviewed by the Global Process Owner.

Round 4: Interviewed by the Service Management Head.

Interview was average for me but it would have been pretty difficult for others who may give the interview without without in-depth knowledge of ITIL and Problem Management.

Endpoint Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the same guy I met at the career fair. He was nice, but he was speaking to me thru the speaker so it was hard to hear at times. There was another person with him in the room. His questions were fair and should be obvious to someone who pays attention to details in their class. When I ask them how many interns are they hiring, they say 1 for the summer. Be prepare to give your best.

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about yourself.
      2. Talk about a bug you cannot solve and how did you solve it.
      3. How to store "last name, first name, id" into database for future access?
      4. If you can't connect to google, how do you debug it? (hint: DNS)

1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Applied for both positions online via company site. I then received an email to schedule a phone interview. The IT recruiter calls and asks some questions (see below), then an in person interview is scheduled.

Interview Questions

• The HR guy was very pushy in wanting to make you talk. It seemed like he wanted to get make the quickest judgement in the least amount of time. Asked for salary requirements then started asking job/position related questions. After 1-2 job related questions, he began asking technical questions (port numbers, diff between x/y, etc. ) After phone interview a in-person (technical) interview is scheduled which is more straightforward.   Answer Question

Testing Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I have applied through career fair, got a call in a couple of weeks from HR and setup meeting with the team who hires you. It was a 30 min phone interview with the team. two people took the interview. they were very friendly. starts with a brief chat on resume and then dives into questions based on the position.

A Senior Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interview. Not efficient. In one of the stages, instead of combining 2 interviews, I was requested to attend separate interviews, and was asked the same questions all over again. What a waste of precious time.

The hiring was for a small location with limited number of employees but the process was long. It took 2 months to reach the final outcome, mostly in silent mode from their end. I was promised to be informed of the outcome (whether I am hired or not) at a certain date but I didn't get any at all by the time it came. I had to follow up to find out.

The hiring manager didn't show sufficient courtesy and professionalism when hiring. He lost my respect. He holds a senior role but does not demonstrate exemplary attitude of one. He is indecisive and seeking a perfect ideal candidate but did not plan to pay a salary that commensurate the given role. I am not surprised that he couldn't find the right person. I wish things could have turned more positively but it is unfortunate that he gives a bad impression about the working culture there and the company that employs him.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unique or worth remembering. Standard questions.   Answer Question

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for Sales Analyst role. The interview process was very bad. The fist interview was over phone and they really asked some silly questions. The questions asked had no relevance to the JD. Moreover the role was not defined and they Manager and Director was unsure about the day to day activities this role demands. They made me come 30 miles stating that there would be a F2F round and HR round. But when I reached there the Director told me that the company has a policy where the candidates are not supposed to meet HR before they are selected. If that was the case then - WHY DID YOU ASK ME TO COME 30 MILES TO MEET YOU ? .... I wasted an entire day, travelled 30 lies just to hear the Director say " I just wanted to meet you in person".... if you wanted to meet me why not schedule a call over Skype

Interview Questions

• How would you convince the GEO head to hand over work to you   Answer Question