Symantec Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Symantec.

HR Interview / Interview with Management / Interview with Director

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2010.

Asked one design question for web proxy, and data structure question. C++ test on laptop. Asked for a short presentation on a topic. Then the usual behavioural questions, "Tell me about a time . . ."

Interview Questions
    • The C++ questions. You need to know C++ syntax in detail. There's no compiler, just an editor to enter responses.   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Recruiters asked to provide timelines for in-house interview and was not replying for 9 days. Looks like recruiters at Symantec are very busy. Finally after interview was scheduled, i had to wait between interviewers for 25 min first time, and 15 min second time. Didn't look like they are actually want me there at all.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. I asked question what do they like at Symantec, and no one could say even one positive thing - not about company, or work they do.   Answer Question

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in July 2010.

You can expect a written test and two technical rounds mostly on unix sides questions,unix commands,perl and shell scripting experience with problem solving.followed with 1 HR round.
    Prepare good on unix basics and have some programming experience also.

Negotiate

Software Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

First interviewer asked general questions in my resume. Then he let me solve two programming problems. One is about linked list,but I cannot remember the detailed question now. It's quite easy. The other is about binary tree, to find the lowest common ancestor of two given nodes.

SQA Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

It was pretty much technical oriented. Since it was a Unix role to questions related to it were asked. 3 rounds of technical interview and 1 managerial and 1 HR round.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

I knew someone in the company, told them I was interested in a position after finishing college. A couple of weeks later I received a phone call from a recruiter who asked what kind of position I was looking for, and when I would want to start. I told them I was interested in a software development position, but didn't know any specifics about what was available. They set up an in-person interview with several departments in order to find out what best suited my abilities, which took about 3+ hours (one hour for each department.) Each interview started with a few questions about my experience and then moved on to questions about general concepts in the computer science. A couple of the interviewers also asked me specific problems that I worked out on the board in the room in front of them. If I didn't know a part of the way to solve a problem, they would explain that aspect.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: The interviewer for the general intern position asked me to write a simple algorithm for calculating where the hour and second hands should be on an analog clock, given a time. Wanted it to handle malformed times given as input.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

I was contacted by a former colleague, mentioning that Symantec is having a very hard time finding C++ developers, and asking if I would be interested. He sent me a referral and a recruiter contacted me the next day. Two phone calls to talk about the position was scheduled for the next day, and then a technical phone interview was scheduled for later that week.

The initial phone call was just the recruiter reiterating the job description. They asked some very easy multiple choice technical questions and what my expected salary was. I mentioned that I noticed some other positions might be a closer match to my skills, and the recruiter told me that if this position wasn't a good fit, they would refer me to the groups with the other positions.

Some minor red flags were raised here, but only one made me consider stopping the interview process: when I mentioned I'd expect a bit more compensation to make up for a much longer commute, they just laughed and said 'oh, no, we won't give you more money because you have to commute.'

The second phone call was with the hiring manager. He asked some open and 'Tell me about a time when...' questions. There wasn't really anything technical.

The third phone call was a technical interview with a developer. It didn't cover much; there were a few more technical 'Tell me about a time when...' questions, and then I was asked to write code that does some basic text processing.

The third interview ended with the interviewer telling me that the recruiter would get back to me the next day to schedule an in-person interview, but I didn't receive any subsequent communications. I think this might have been because my expected salary was too high.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario where you changed a data structure or algorithm to improve performance.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Pune Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Symantec.

It was a campus interview.
    They took 1 written round - mcq of operating system and computer science
    then 3 technical rounds - all problems to be coded
    then 1 hr round - to test the communication skills

Interview Questions
    • Given a real world problem which data structure would you use.   Answer Question

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

I got initial call from HR. My job profile meet their requirements exactly. There were 3 technical rounds. 1 was taken by someone from India office on phone. 2nd round from US team. 3rd round was technical programming round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program which will read an excel file data and write it to xml file after doing some calculations.   Answer Question

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!