Stop & Shop Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

1.6

Stock Person Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westerly, RI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westerly, RI (US)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2011.

I applied online, filled out a personality questionnaire, I believe, then got called in for an in person interview. The interviewer, my future manager, and I got along very well. I was offered the job on the spot, started the next week. The whole process was quick and painless, wish I could say the same about the actual job itself.

Front End Cashier Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop in August 2014.

Verry nice & simple . The process to a week in total. Just dress classy and have smile on your face and be polite . Nothing difficult or to be nervous about.

Grocery Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

The hiring and interview process was fairly easy and quick. I received a phone call for an interview the day after I submitted my application. I was given the job at the interview and started the next day.

Cashier/Bagger Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

I submitted my application online and received a call a week later to come in to meet the hiring manager. The "interview" was more like an informal chat, which was expected given the position I was applying for.

Keep in mind I was in high school and looking for a part-time summer job just to stay busy. Apply early in the summer for the best chance since the number of applications skyrockets once schools get out.

Interview Questions
    • The typical what's your background, where have you worked before, what's your motivation and availability to work. There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

I decided to work elsewhere for the summer.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Natick, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Stop & Shop in October 2010.

One Interview- Asked questions about reliability and experience
    was a one on one interview and also provided some insight on the training requirements and the pro's and con's of the experience.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Single interview process, dress appropriately. Typical questions regarding previous customer service experience. Focus on customer service as a personal job priority during the interview. Knowledge of fractions a must (it is surprising how many people are hired who struggle with basic fractions)

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation as Stop and Shop is a Union shop.

Gas Station Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stoneham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoneham, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

The hiring process was kind of iffy, although I imagine it isn't like this for everyone. I went to my first interview where I really didn't say anything, the assistant manager basically talked the whole time and I barely got a word in. He ended it by saying they'd call me back, although that didn't happen. I called after a few days but he was apparently unavailable. I kept calling but I never got him, I only spoke with him when I went shopping a week later where he just said I was not hired.

I reapplied a month later, and I got a more standard inteview process. I met with someone else, and she was pleased with me. She scheduled another interview later that day, the second interview was with my former department manager. I was called a few days later and hired to work part time.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask that many questions, certainly nothing extrordinary.   Answer Question
    No, the company is unionized so whatever you get is standardized for every employee.

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Pretty simple. Applied online. Received a call and talked to the hiring manager. I had previous experience in deli so it was pretty cut and dry. I started the following week.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hampton Bays, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton Bays, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in June 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later got a call to come in for an interview the next day. It wasn't exactly an interview though, because they just asked why I didn't go back to [previous employer] and hired me within 5 minutes of walking in the store. I already start next week. The only downside is minimum wage payment, but after 30 days your payment goes up by .25 an hour.

Interview Questions
    They said $8/hr which was standard so I didn't fight it.

Dairy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

The interview process was fairly easy. I was called for an interview within a week of applying online. They had just remodeled the store so the experience was comfortable for me. My interview took approximately 1hour, the store is always busy which is good thing< which always means more hours for employees. The person that interviewing wanted to make sure i was knew about the grocery business which i did, as i currently work at another major supermarket for about 12 years now, so i was well prepared. I met the store manager, my dept manager and another assistant store manager whom were very nice to talk to. I was treated with respect which is all what i could have asked for.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question i was asked was if i knew how to operate the electric jacks/forklift   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a salary that was acceptable to the amount of work i would be doing.

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!