State Street

316 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at State Street in February 2014.

Interview Details First half is with HR, and then the hiring team. It was a pretty straight forward and casual interview. All fit questions. Be prepared to answer situational questions like how do you stay motivated. Understand that this job has irregular hours and the salary is sub-par. Nice people in the team though.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you disagreed with a manager's decision or company policy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Manager - Operations Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at State Street in July 2013.

Interview Details The initial process was smooth and quick. I was contacted within a week of applying for the job and came in for an interview a few days later.

The interview itself was very straightforward. I was asked about my management style and experience. They also ran me through a few different potential scenarios to see what my reaction would be. The entire interview took about 90 minutes. Overall up until this point everything was fine. I was told by the hiring manager that they wanted to make a decision quickly and would let me know within 3 weeks max.

After waiting 4 weeks and not hearing back from HR I called the recruiter and asked her for a status as I had not heard anything. She said they still hadn't made a decision and would let me know soon. I waited another 4 weeks (so now its two months after the initial interview) and called the recruiter again. I was given the same generic answer that they are still working on it. I called again 3 weeks later to ask if State Street is still hiring for the position as it seemed to be taking an extremely long time to make a decision. She replied with the same answer as before and that she expected an answer very soon.

After waiting for a little over 3 months I get an email (not even the courtesy of a phone call) to tell me that they decided to go with someone else.

I really think this was unprofessional and there should have been more communication from State Street to myself as to what was happening. If this is how their hiring process goes I can only imagine working for them how many delays there must be with getting things done.

Interview Question – Explain what would you do if you asked your direct report to help you with something and they were resistant to helping you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State Street in September 2011.

Interview Details A joke. Easiest interview ever and not very formal at all. Anyone with half a brain and a mouth will ace the interview. No technical questions - not a surprise given there is nothing technical about the job - purely fit questions to determine personality fit with team

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all - very low base and do not budge.

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Street in June 2013.

Interview Details 1. Short phone interview going over job requirements and availability
2. In-person interview with HR going over some typical behavioral questions followed by panel interview with 3 Managers that were hiring for their team. They asked similar behavioral questions as well as technical questions related to Excel.

Interview Question – Name an excel function   Answer Question

Interviewed at State Street

Interview Details I had one 2 on 1 interview which was obtained through my university.
Questions were quite expected ie. Tell me about yourself, what do you know about State Street?, what do you find most interesting about this position?, what qualities do you look for in a manager? etc.

Overall the hiring managers were extremely friendly and

Interview Question – Not difficult but a little unexpected: in a stock split what happens to the price of the shares?   View Answer

Hedge Fund Accountant Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at State Street in November 2012.

Interview Details personality questions: where do you see yourself in five years? have you done any project by yourself besides work?

Interview Question – there is no difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Fund Accountant Interview

Fund Accountant
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at State Street in September 2012.

Interview Details phone interview and a week later in-person interview was scheduled.

Valuations Analyst Interview

Interviewed at State Street

Interview Details 1. HR phone interview - general background info and skill set
2. In person with two managers - mostly fit questions, basic capital markets questions on investment types and valuations

Interview Question – Rank the following 3: 1. getting along with team members 2. timeliness 3. accuracy   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Cannot negotiate.

Settlements Administrator Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied online and interviewed at State Street.

Interview Details Received a phone call from HR about one week after submitting online application. Mainly to determine fit.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company?
Why did you apply to this position?
  Answer Question

Fund Accountant Interview

Fund Accountant
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at State Street in March 2012.

Interview Details Got a call after applying two months ago, initial interview over the phone was about expectations and fit for the job.

Arranged for an interview a week later and had a short interview with the Talent Acquisition Specialist that was on the phone before, she was pleasant to deal with and gave hints and tips on next stage of interview. This part of the interview consisted of behavioral questions.

Next interview was 30+ minutes with two managers, one of them was receptive and engaging while the other was neutral but fair. Interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions and some technical questions. In hindsight the questions were not tough at all but I was just simply not prepared to go into such depths with my solutions. I was also expecting to be asked technical questions about NAV's and such, but was asked simple credit/debit questions instead.

Interview Questions

• If you were to decrease the value <?> account, would you debit or credit it?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you made a mistake and how you owned up to it.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where your manager made a mistake and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to think outside the box to fix a problem.   Answer Question
Interviews for Top Jobs at State Street

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!

State Street – Why Work for Us?

At State Street, we know that smart, skilled, productive employees are essential to our company’s continued success. As a leading provider of financial services, with operations in 27 countries and more than… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Street interview questions and advice. All 316 interview reviews are posted anonymously by State Street employees and interview candidates.