Starbucks

Average Difficulty
1,200 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details I walked in with my resume and cover letter and was told to apply only first. The manager didnt take my resume but took my name and number. 3 days after I applied online I received a call for an interview. The interview was long but the questions weren't so bad.

Interview Question – What should a manager do or not do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I started with minimum wage.

Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got a call the next day, went in for an interview a few days later. I got a call exactly a week from the day I first applied saying I got the job. Manager was friendly and easy to talk with. He asked me a few questions on the phone before setting up my interview. Most questions were about customer service, accomplishments, and my experience with working with others. Environment was friendly, had coffee when I went in.

Interview Question – If you were an inanimate object, what would you be?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details basic interview process . I also need to write thiry words for this process. The interview was easy and you do not need alot of expierence, this is my first job

Fredericton, NB

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and I was emailed a few days later to set up a time to interview. I met with the manager in an office, although I have seen her interview other people at tables depending on how busy it is. She read questions off a sheet and wrote down answers, and said I would hear back in a week or so about whether or not I got the job.

Interview Question – Questions are based off of situations and how you have handled / or would handle them and the outcome.   Answer Question

Ottawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Starbucks in February 2014.

Interview Details To apply at Starbucks, you have to fill out the application forms on their website, as they do not accept resumes in-store. You answer questionnaires and select up to 5 stores within your area that you would like to apply to. Once you have finished, and a manager at one of your desired stores (sometimes at stores you haven't selected as well) has chosen you, they'll give you a phone call. It's a very relaxed, friendly call where they ask you a few simple questions about your availability and what made you choose Starbucks. At the end of the call they'll offer you an interview and you set up a date. On the day of your interview, dress in semi-formal clothing and bring a copy of resume and availability. The store manager asks you (I believe) 8 set questions which include things like what is your greatest weakness, why do you want to work at Starbucks, when was a time you didn't give your best customer service, etc. They are all very generic questions. My manager told me at the end she was looking for people who made eye contact with her the entire interview, people who mention their ability to upsell, and people with background knowledge of the company (suggestion: read Howard Schult's book, Onward). Generally, you will have up to 3 interviews with Starbucks, including this first one (not always the case though, as they offered me the job at the end of my first!)

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you didn't provide excellent customer service and/or let a customer down, and what the outcome was."   View Answer

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Burlington, ON

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in May 2013.

Interview Details To be hired or promoted to a shift supervisor, you have to go through two interviews, one with your locations manager and one with another locations manager. During busy periods, there is often 2-3+ weeks between the interviews due to lack of time and management co-operation. They will call all of your references/past employers so ensure you provide references that will promote you and your abilities.

Interview Question – N/A- there questions are typical interview questions that probably have not changed since Starbucks opened (why did you choose Starbucks, example of difficult situation, time of leadership, where you see yourself in 5 years etc.).

The interviews are usually informal, candidates are offered a drink and interviewed at a table in the store, but candidates should still dress for a semi-formal interview, many people (mostly teens) showed up in jeans and t-shirts that do not make a good first impression - wear business casual!
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation - they have a base pay and then reviews (first one is at three months - but the pay increase is very small $0.25-0.50 increase max)

Very Easy Interview

Ottawa, ON

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Starbucks in June 2014.

Interview Details I finally got a call from them after over a month after filling out the online job application. The individual who conducted the interview let me choose the time as she already chose the day and was dressed semi casual. The interview happened at one of the tables and was very casual and seemed to be more about how friendly you are.

Interview Question – Would you like something to drink?   View Answer

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details One on one interview with the manager of the store, asked general questions about strengths / weaknesses and also how you dealt with customers and what your past experiences with other work. Got scheduled for training within a few days.

Interview Question – None really, they were all quite straight forward. Just answer each question with some thought to it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Starbucks.

Interview Details Applied online and got a phone call a few days later. Had an interview at the store I applied for and a second interview with another manager from a different store. First interview was mostly about the company history and culture and info about the benefits.

Interview Question – All the questions seemed to deal with negatives such as: "tell me about a time when you did not meet expectations," or "tell me about a time when you were reprimanded" and so on.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

Interviewed at Starbucks

Interview Details This position required an online questionnaire, followed by a lengthy online video-guided question/answer session. Based on your responses to scenarios and questions, the recruiters decided whether or not to pursue your interview.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how I would deal with unruly staff members.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided to accept a second position I was offered at the same time.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!