Starbucks

Updated 14 Dec, 2014
1,412 Interview Reviews

2.4

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in November 2014.

I applied online, which was an easy process which allowed me to apply to many Starbucks at the same time, so quite convenient, too. I got a call two weeks after submitting my application and set up an interview for the next day. I brought in a copy of me resume just in case, I went in early, waited in line to tell the cashier I was there for an interview and got offered a free drink, which was nice. I had to wait at a table until the manager was ready. She came and I stood up to shake her hand, all smiles of course. Then the interview began. It was quite relaxed and easy, she was extremely nice. The interview questions were not too intimidating, either.

She first asked "Why Starbucks" and I told her about how I know Starbucks as being an ethical company supporting fair trade, which has always been important to me, and how Starbucks has branded itself on being employee friendly and diverse. I also mentioned how I like the atmosphere of the store. The other questions were more personal and about past experience: why I wanted a job as a barista in particular, to describe a time I managed to influence a customer to buy something they weren't planning on buying, in the past, how have I gotten to know my coworkers, and name something I have done in the past year to better myself (answer volunteer, exercise, politically involved). She wrote down all my answers on a paper she had with her. She also went over my resume with me, asking some questions specific to what I had written. Then she set me up for a second interview and took down my availability to ensure what she had online was accurate.

The second interview was the next day at a different Starbucks with a different person. This interviewer was also so nice and funny, she asked the same questions, so no surprises. She was real fun, I would answer a question and she would go on about how good my answer was. I got a call the four days later with a job offer. They pay $11/ hr with great benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time I managed to influence a customer to buy something they weren't originally planning on buying.   View Answer
    No negotiation, it was slightly above minimum wage so I was happy.

Applied a week ago. Got a call and met 2 days later
    Manager told me to order a drink. On the house
    Manager was very formal. Followed a script. Asking many "negative" style questions and asking for examples.

Operations Project Manager Interview

Initial contact by email acknowledging receipt of application, Initial contact from Human resources by email, second contact from human resources by phone to set up interview. Initial interview by phone with Human resources - generic on experience and interest in company. 2nd interview by human resources on the same, a little more extended. 3rd interview by phone by manager to whom you would report - more in depth on experiences, strengths, weaknesses etc. 4th interview in person group interview by manager and team member.

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

Filled out an in-house application form. Resume and cover letter were not required. Did two interviews - one with an assistant manager, and one with the store manager before getting the job

Interview Questions
    • What is your best friend like? Why would I hire you over your best friend?   Answer Question
    No negotiations. It's starbucks

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2014.

Applied online, was called 5 days later.
    One on one interview in store

Behavioral questions- when is a time where you had a coworker who wasn't pulling their weight, when did you have to solve a problem without the needed resources, why starbucks?, tell me about yourself

Interview Questions
    • What is something you didn't know last year that you know now that would help in the work place   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Starbucks in October 2014.

I applied to Starbucks online (as you are supposed to) and got a call a couple days later to schedule an interview. The interview happened a couple days later, I dressed casual. The manager who interviewed me seems to be a very nice cheerful foreign lady, seems very likeable, but you can immediately tell she is down to business. She asked me almost around 10 questions, just typical questions that you would expect at an interview such as tell me about yourself, why starbucks?, tell me a time you went out of your way and exceeded a customer's expectations, etc.
    She was the best interviewer I ever had! made me feel super relaxed and we also shared many laughs and it was more of a conversation that an interview. There was one time when she asked what i like to do on my spare time and i replied with "drawing" but she thought i said "drinking" (because it was so loud in the room) and we shared a laugh after that as she seemed so shocked at first by my answer.

I would have loved to stay around and chat longer but the interview ended after 15 minutes and i was told that she was going to contact my previous employer to get a better understanding of me, which is the first time an interviewer has told me they would do so.

About 3 days later (in the afternoon) I get a call back and after heavy anticipation i got hired!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you did do well in customer service and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Digital Imaging Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks.

Was referred by a friend that worked at another location. Received call one week after applying. Smooth and comforting interview with 3-4 others in line before and after. I was lucky enough to already have knowledge about cameras because it was a side hobby.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you more qualified for this position than the average person?   View Answer

Barista - Starbucks Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call from the manager later that day and went in for the interview the next day. Everything happened very fast so be prepared. The manager was very friendly and i had a good time chatting with the lady. The questions were straight forward, no trick questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: descried one occasion that you have failed to provide decent customer service and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Family emergency

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Starbucks in September 2014.

Applied for the job online. Had 2 interviews. First interview was with the manager of the location I applied to, 2nd was with the manager at another nearby location. Very straightforward interview with mostly behavioural questions (describe a time when....). The first interview focused more on presenting the various benefits the company has to offer and going over the various dress code requirements as well as availability. The second interview was more focused on questions relating to work experience and customer service situations. Overall the experience was pleasant, as long as you have a good presentation and look serious, customer service experience and good availability. Coffee knowledge or experience is not required but is surely appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you weren't able to fully satisfy a customer. What did you do to make the situation better.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Minimum wage with benefits.

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Starbucks.

I applied online and the process took a month and a half - interviewed at Starbucks in August 2014.

I applied in person, I gave my resume to the assistant manager who asked me questions about previous work history and my availability. I received a phone call two weeks later asking if I could come in for a group interview that was to take place another two weeks later. On the day of the interview, it was a group of four including myself. The assistant manager interviewed us using a booklet of behavioural/situation questions and we all just took turns answering the questions. After that, she gave us the job description/benefits/perks/any other info she thought was important for us to know. The interview lasted around an hour and a half. At the end, she collected our references and thanked us for coming out. She also let us know that they'd be calling everyone next week to tell them whether they had gotten the job or not.

Interview Questions
    • They were all behavioural questions, nothing hard. Just use examples from previous work experience.   Answer Question