Staples

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Technology Consultant Interview

Senior Technology Consultant
Strathcona, AB

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in September 2010.

Interview Details Well there interview process is huge they ask the right questions. The questions are very easy to answere. I will highly recomend staples. More is always needed i was hired almost right away. i was super happy that this has happened

Interview Question – Where do you see your self in 10 years from today?   View Answer

Easy Tech Sales Associate Interview

Easy Tech Sales Associate
Edmonton, AB

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in February 2012.

Interview Details one interview that went through:
Ques 1. why I wanted to work for staples? I answered because my previous company would always buy office supplies from them so they were a reliable source
Ques 2. How would I deal with bad customer experience? I said I didn't care much
Then he went through what their focus was and that there is no commission and only the top sales person in each region gets a gift card or whatever incentive based on what extended service plans to sell for that period.
Ques 3. What can I sell to customers if they buy a computer? I said mice, keyboard, mousepad, printer, game controller, software and I forgot to mention: ESPs!! (extended service plans) so the extended warranties.
That was pretty much it and didn't ask about what my hourly rate should be.

Interview Question – I don't remember any unexpected questions or most difficult ones asked, it was pretty simple   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had found a better offer at Best Buy despite also no commission

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Staples in January 2014.

Interview Details Total process took 2 months. Phone screen, interview with sales manager, second interview with sales manager and director, then a ride along.

Interview Question – Nothing special   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Oakville, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details Had 2 rounds, the interview was well over an hour. They went in-depth to my past, discussed my schooling and all my previous jobs. It was a very positive interview.

Negotiation Details – Limited, they offered me more than I was currently making but did have me train an hour from my house, which was inconvenient.

Copy Center Associate Interview

Copy Center Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Staples in March 2013.

Interview Details I applied online.... had my interview about a week later. It was a very typical Interview. The majority of the questions were all ones I've heard before. This was just last week and was my first interview, I was told that I would get a call in a week -9 days if I am going to go on to the second interview

Interview Question – The question I always find the most difficult it : Why should we hire you over other?   Answer Question

Area Sales Representative Interview

Area Sales Representative
Ottawa, ON

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in August 2009.

Interview Details face interview for 10min

Interview Question – what do you think your role here is   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiation was a take it or leave it

Copy Center Associate Interview

Copy Center Associate
Waterloo, ON

I applied in-person and interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details I applied in-store and got a call about three weeks later when they started hiring for back-to-school. The first interview was pretty basic. It was with one of the managers and he asked about my availability, previous work experience (especially in retail), behavioural questions, why I wanted to work there, whether I had any add-on selling experience (they're big on that there), etc. I got offered a second interview for the next day and it was with the copy and print center manager. This interview lasted quite a bit longer and he asked more situational type questions, why I would be a good fit for staples, good and bad experiences shopping in other stores, and how I have handled difficult customers before.
I didn't feel overly confident about the second interview, but they called me a few hours later and offered me the job, so I guess it went quite well.

Interview Question – Tell me about a good shopping experience you have had and what you liked about it / tell me about a bad shopping experience you have had and how you think that experience could have been improved.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You start out at minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Leamington, ON

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in September 2011.

Interview Details Applied in-person at the store and was immediately called to set up an interview. I was nervous when I got there, and I think the Interviewer could tell and really that was my major downfall. He asked me a lot of questions regarding how i would act in certain situations and basically just tried to get to know me as a potential employee. Got a call back a few weeks later saying that they were not going to continue with my application at this time. My sister applied and made it through three separate interviews before being declined as well.

Interview Question – Describe a experience where you had to take control of a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Service Manager Interview

Service Manager
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Staples in May 2009.

Interview Details Applied on very user friendly website.
Followed up with email to LinkedIn connection at Staples.
Received name of HR contact from LinkedIn contact and called them.
Received call for and arranged interview.
Had very positive and relaxed interview.
Met Hiring Manager at end of interview and sat with him a short chat.
Followed up with HR contact - they were rethinking a couple of roles.
Got the call they were going another way.
Left a positive thought with HR contact in case of future opportunities.

Interview Question – Why haven't we heard of you before? (Position had been previously advertised)   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Staples in April 2009.

Interview Details Telephone screening was simple and tailored to the position - it took about 30 minutes. In person interview was about 1 hour long - mainly resume review. Arrive early, as there is a personality test to complete, and the receptionist must issue a photo id (no joke) before you can proceed to meet with your interviewer. The person conducting the in person interview was not a recruiter and did not ask any behavioural interview questions. 10 people made it to the interview stage, so I wonder how many were phone screened. Very slow to follow up after the interview, despite committing to a response within a week.

Interview Questions

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!