Staples

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Copy Center Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Staples in March 2013.

Interview Details I applied online.... had my interview about a week later. It was a very typical Interview. The majority of the questions were all ones I've heard before. This was just last week and was my first interview, I was told that I would get a call in a week -9 days if I am going to go on to the second interview

Interview Question – The question I always find the most difficult it : Why should we hire you over other?   Answer Question

Waterloo, ON

I applied in-person and interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details I applied in-store and got a call about three weeks later when they started hiring for back-to-school. The first interview was pretty basic. It was with one of the managers and he asked about my availability, previous work experience (especially in retail), behavioural questions, why I wanted to work there, whether I had any add-on selling experience (they're big on that there), etc. I got offered a second interview for the next day and it was with the copy and print center manager. This interview lasted quite a bit longer and he asked more situational type questions, why I would be a good fit for staples, good and bad experiences shopping in other stores, and how I have handled difficult customers before.
I didn't feel overly confident about the second interview, but they called me a few hours later and offered me the job, so I guess it went quite well.

Interview Question – Tell me about a good shopping experience you have had and what you liked about it / tell me about a bad shopping experience you have had and how you think that experience could have been improved.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You start out at minimum wage.

Keene, NH (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details Interview was fine. I was experienced previously and had no problems. Got along with GM great.

Copy Center Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Staples in March 2014.

Interview Details While looking for Staples locations (I needed a clipboard), I noticed that they were opening a new store nearby so I applied right away. It took about a month to get a call, but it finally came.
The woman that called me was very laid back and friendly, but also straight to the point. The interview questions were also very straight to the point, nothing out of left field or that required much thought (to my dismay, as I had carefully meditated on how I would answer any possible question they might throw at me the night before). I think in their case they just really needed to fill a hole and didn't have many applicants to choose from, considering the fact that I was allowed to choose when the interview was held, and that she apologized for something that had happened during the phone call days before without me bringing it up.
After a few questions from both sides, she explained that I would have a morning shift but that I would train at night with their Copy/Print Center expert. She then told me that she would call me after she spoke with her manager and ran a background check.

Interview Questions

• Can you build relationships with customers and business owners?   View Answer
  • Given the choice, would you rather make a sale of $1000-2000, or provide good customer service?   View Answer

Copy Center Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Staples in July 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was simple and did not take very long. Even though I had little experience they were willing to provide the training I needed. Over all the interview and hiring process was very easy. The copy center manager did the initial interview followed up by the assistant store manager. I was later informed that they had arranged the interviews that way because the copy center manager would be the one providing the training; the assistant store manager wanted to be sure that the copy center manager felt I had enough skills to be trained on the equipment and if we would work well together.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was "why do you want to work in the copy center at Staples?"
There were a series of visual tests to pick out imperfections of a copy sample.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Staples

Interview Details Extremely relaxed if you get an in person interview you got the job

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in January 2014.

Interview Details In less than a week they called me back. The interview was surprisingly very short, the wait time was about an hour meanwhile the interview was less than 15 minutes. They are also not very organized. A week after my interview I received a call from them and I returned the call and the managers were rude towards me and told me they had not called me. However, the following day they called and left a voicemail saying I was hired but I did not take the job.

Interview Question – The manager kept pressuring me to ask him questions. So have a big list of questions in mind.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The employees especially the manager discouraged me with their rude behavior.

Columbia, MO (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details Applied online and got an interview with the General Manager a month later. Came in a week later and had an interview with the Assistant Manager.

Interview Question – Basic question for possition   Answer Question

Copy Center Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples.

Interview Details Three interviews, all very easy, one on one, basic usual questions

Interview Question – Just asked the basic, what would you do if, or what did you do when   Answer Question

Copy Center Associate
Westlake Village, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples in September 2009.

Interview Details Staples applications are all submitted online.
Personality multiple-choice test is required for most positions.
I had one interview with the general manager.

Interview Question – Basic interview questions, like "What's your greatest strength/weakness?"   Answer Question

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!