Sports Authority

Updated 3 Nov, 2014
Updated 3 Nov, 2014

1.9

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NH (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

First, you have to apply online. The hiring manager reviews new applications every week or so, depending on if there is a need to fill positions, sometimes daily if there is a particularly urgent need. They look for applicants with prior customer service experience first, just because it generally means less training. They also take into consideration how many jobs the person has held over a certain period of time, since it can hint at a potential problem if there were many in a short period of time.

During the interview, the hiring manager (typically the operations manager) has a packet of questions corporate requires them to ask the applicants, and record/comment on the responses. This packet gets inserted into the individual's personnel file should they get hired. The questions consist of things such as general opinion questions as well as scenario questions. The scenario questions are what most managers focus on, because they show how an employee would act and handle themselves in certain situations. Basically, what it comes down to is if you have common sense and know how to politely and appropriately respond to irate or unruly customers, then you're golden.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where you suspect a customer of stealing, but have no proof?   Answer Question

Warehouse Lead Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sports Authority.

The interviews were an enjoyable experience. The company is very good about being friendly to anyone looking to work there. For the Warehouse Lead position, two interviews were had: one with the store manager and one with the district manager. An offer was made in a timely manner. They asked good questions and were responsive to question I had for them and the company in general.

Interview Questions
    • "Name one time where you exceeded your expectations in a previous job and were recognized accordingly."

There's no difference between exceeding and doing in my mind, and also, if the second part of the question never happened, I'd feel the need to lie about it.
        Answer Question
    Phone call

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority.

One interview lasting about 15 minutes. This took place instore with the department manager i would work under. There were a few questions but nothing too wild. I was called in for the interview because i was able to provide a level of expertise that no one else in the store had.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond to solve a problem at a previous job.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sports Authority.

very easy interview. They'll just ask what sport or department you feel most comfortable working in. I choose footwear because certain shoes you sale you can get commission for.

Sales Associate Interview

In person interview that lasted about twenty minutes. Asked about sales and customer service experience but nothing too specific. Wanted to know when I could start and I was offered the job right on the spot. Filled out all forms and was ready to go the next week. Interviewer was the store manager and was friendly. Liked what I had to say and was happy with responses that I gave

Visual/Merchandising Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sports Authority.

Began by talking about my previous work history. The manager was very rude and told me my previous jobs weren't real jobs...? Not sure how but whatever. Asked simple questions such as what do i know about sports authority, why should they hire me over previous people they interviewed

Interview Questions
    • If someone who knew you very well was interviewing with us what would they say you need to work on   View Answer

Got offered a higher paying job

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority.

The Interview was very professional and pretty quick as well. They asked standard interview questions that weren't difficult to answer at all. The company is very detail oriented and they wanted the best sales person for the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority.

I applied online and received a call within 2 weeks. The most difficult part of the interview was picking any item in the store and try to "sell" it to another person participating in the group interview. I picked a sports bra because I know which ones are best for running. The managers loved that I was different and made it funny when I was "selling" it to a male interviewee.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the item and features of it and sell it to your "customer" (the interviewee).   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my hours but not pay. Pay was minimum wage with commission.

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sports Authority in August 2014.

Very standard and relaxed interview. Asked the basic question and just try to relate things to what you are applying for. For example, I was applying for team sports and when they asked about my past job history I made sure I talked about how I contributed to my team. About 5 minutes in it turned into talking about sports and I was hired on the spot and the next day was my first training shift.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your previous expirence working with a team.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sports Authority.

asked about technical skills and approach towards a problem, organizational skill questions
    some stupid psycho questions, meant more like wasting time, irrelevant to the job
    felt like there was conflict b/w managers and the other person trying to build a team