Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

2.8

Ramp Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Indianapolis, IN (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Here is what I went though I applied online I received a phone interview on Feb 20 then I got an email to do some paperwork that same day then three days later I had an face to face interview for the Ramp supervisor position. Since they had a few internal candidates I had to wait two weeks then she called and offered me the Ramp Agent position. Then that Tuesday I went to do drug test then the next day went to do finger print if background clears I will start working for southwest. Keep in mind southwest likes to promote within first so keep a open mind their are so many others opportunities with this campaney that once you in you can move up if they feel you are a strong candidate. Keep on top of all emails and respond quickly cause the process could be longer if not. They do a strict background check.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Southwest Airlines in Fall 2014. The questions are basic and straightforward, which is almost about why choosing your current major, resume walk-through, and your career goal in the next five years. The interviewer is friendly and helpful, and somehow that makes the interview a little bit fun and less stressful.

Interview Questions

• There is no difficult or unexpected question in this phone interview   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, than a phone interview followed by a face to face with 2 interviewers and a ramp supervisor. The next step was fingerprinting followed by background check and a drug test a week later. The process took about two & a half weeks.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

It was great! I had a great experience talking with the recruiter and the managers! They asked in-depth questions about the job description and how my experience met that description.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then was invited to meet 1:1 in Chicago in early February. I do not live in Chicago so I had to rent a car to attend the interview (SW did not cover this expense). Everyone I met was very kind and I appreciated the time spent with me. When the in-person interview was completed I was informed that there were no concerns so next step would be to interview with the interviewer's boss. He said I would hear back at the end of February as he was going on vacation. By the beginning of March I had not heard anything so I sent a follow-up e-mail. I have yet to receive a response. I have no issue with the fact that they did not move me forward in the process. However, I felt it rude not responding to my e-mail. A short response would have made me feel that the company valued the hours and money I spent investing in them. I think that Southwest should consider spending time evaluating and improving the candidate experience. It would be concerning for me if the Recruiting Organization itself does not value this important piece of the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any concerns with the amount of travel required?   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Was called for the phone interview, the people who interview you on the phone don't work specifically for Southwest so expect a very dry tone. Speak clearly and take your time because they will misinterpret things you have said, I was then moved on to Face-Face interview (no pressure just smile and be bubbly), and then was given a verbal offer for the job

Interview Questions

• None of the questions are difficult, just alot of customer service questions to prove you can handle working in a busy environment   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (New Orleans, LA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I left a post about 2 weeks ago. In my post I mentioned that I had no offer 2 weeks after the face to face interview. I have an update. Apparently I'm still being considered, because a few days after posting my review on here I got an email saying they were going to fly me out to Orlando for fingerprinting. I've now done my drug test and I was told at the fingerprinting that if the employment verification checks out, I should hear back from them (with or without a job offer) in about 4 to 5 weeks. So from the time I applied for the position until 4 to 5 weeks from now, the entire process will be about 4 months long. I realize this industry involves the FAA and Homeland Security/TSA, and they have to make sure their employees don't have "shady" backgrounds, but this is taking a very long time. You have to be patient if you are in the same situation.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied on line. It was 10 months before I heard from them. Got an email to schedule a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and seemed to understand the inherent stress in an interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. I tried to answer the question fully and looked for opportunities to inject my personality. Three business days later, I got an email to arrange the in person interview. I was flown at SWA's expense to Phoenix. SWA covers all transportation when you arrive at the interviewing city. Three interviewers couldn't have made it easier. They were very friendly and gave a lot of positive visual feedback. I knew I was doing well. Then came two simple agility tests: walk down an aisle of chairs and sit in a jump seat and go through a cardboard cut out the size of an emergency exit. It's sized so you have to bend down and step through. Both were very easy. I was offered a position on the spot.

The most important thing to keep in mind is SW's culture. Be sure to hit/explain how you have/live 1. A Warrior Spirit 2. A Servant's Heart and 3. Have a FUN-loving attitude. I made sure to cover these in my cover letter, phone and in person interviews.

Be sure to smile. Be sure to be outgoing. Whether you know it or not you are being evaluated and watched all the time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you gave exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between hospitality and customer service?   Answer Question
    • Being a flight attendant, you are considered to be a "first responder" in the event of an emergency. How do you think you would handle that responsibility?   Answer Question
    • What is a weakness you have and how will you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • You will be away from home 3-4 days a week, how do you feel about that/how are you going to deal with that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation. It is a union job and you know your starting salary and at what points it goes up.