Southwest Airlines

146 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Hiring process is pretty simple. The thing with Southwest is so many people apply. They only post the jobs for a couple of hours once they post. Generally they email most of the applicants who are able to apply for the brief job posting for a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will actually call you back for a face to face interview. If the phone interview didn't go well or you weren't selected they will email you. If you are selected for the face to face it generally is a panel interview which is very relaxed. If they decides to select you they will ask to finger print you either then. If not they will let you know they are reviewing applicants and most likely you will receive a thanks but no thanks email.

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable Union

Internship Interview

Internship
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details phone interview after application 2 weeks.

Interview Question – almost behavior questions, and detail about your resume.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details I put in an app online. about 2 weeks later i got a random phone call. it was a recruiter. she asked me if i was still interested and then asked some basic interview questions. it was kind of a surprise phone interview. (i was at dinner, not expecting that) At the end of the phone interview she scheduled my face to face. i did the F2F with a recruiter and the operations manager of my location (IND). got emailed 4 days later to set up drug test and finger prints. waiting for my start date

Interview Question – Tell us about a chaotic time at your last employer and how you handled it.
Do you know about SW fun-luving culture?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details phone Interview: general behavioral questions like why southwest? why this position? why your major? past experience (from your resume)

Interview Question – nothing out of expectations   Answer Question

Culture Activities Intern Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied online near the application due date. You just submit your resume online (so it needs to make you stand-out!). About a week later, I received an email asking for my "Why I want to work for Southwest Airlines" essay. Again, you need to make yourself stand-out! Once my essay was submitted, there was a phone interview. During the phone interview, you go over your resume and explain things in further detail. After that, I was scheduled to fly to Dallas for an in-person interview. When you have your flight set, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS YOUR FLIGHT. Arrive plenty early in case of anything unexpected occurrences happening. Once you get to Dallas, you take the Employee shuttle from the Airport to Headquarters. You fill out some paperwork and they do a fingerprint scan. Your recruiter, who you have been talking with, comes out and escorts you back to the interview room where it will be you, the recruiter, and your potential boss. The interview was much easier than I thought! You basically do the same thing and talk about the same things as your phone interview, but this time it is in front of your potential boss! They want to see your FUN-LUVing attitude, Warrior's Spirit, and Servant's Heart. If you don't have a lot of work experience, then they want to see Volunteer experience. On top of that, they want you to have FUN! Take that to mind when you go in for the interview. Yes, you need to be serious, but you can crack a joke here and there (if appropriate). So just be yourself and they will see that! If you don't receive an offer ask them what you can improve on and they will definitely tell you ways to improve!

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview were the questions about "what have you done in this situation...". For example, I was asked, "what is an example where you took initiative to get things done without being told." There are lots of situational questions during the interview. Think about what your job requires and what it takes to be a good Employee and examples of how you have shown those things!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, but if you get chosen as a Southwest Airlines Intern, then you should be happy with that!

Internship Interview

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details two rounds: one phone interview and one face to face

Interview Question – Behavioral questions   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Boston, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2013.

Interview Details Spoke with a station representative (in my case, the station manager; others spoke with ramp supervisors) and we discussed the position and what it entails. Asked general interview questions.

Interview Question – What can you bring to our LUV family?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none- CBA

Director Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details I was initially approached by Southwest to become an Employee through my relationship that I had working for a vendor of Southwest. When I was brought in to interview, it lasted about half a day, and included interviews with the VP for whom I would be working, the VP of the People Department, and 2 other directors in my department. All in all it was a positive experience, and very non-threatening.

One of the things that was not ever shared with me through the process, however, was the impact of not starting until after January 1. You see, things like profit sharing are awarded to those who are Employees as of December 31. I started the first week in January, and missed an entire year's worth of profit sharing (and at the time Southwest was giving double-digit profit sharing) because I was not informed or told about that caveat.

Interview Question – The most complicated question was providing an example of when I had something go horribly wrong, and what I did I do in response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not have much ability to negotiate. I was unable to get any type of pay raise with the new position and was told that my current salary was the best they could do.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2012.

Interview Details Hiring process went very fast. I was called for tefonic interview, 2 days later I was called in for in-person interview. I have beeing called in for in-person interview twice so far but did not go through :( Questions were mostly behavioral and situational, and very specific to the tasks handled a per resume.

Interview Question – What is your opinion on the latest Air Trans and SWA merger/acquisition. How would you forecast for maybe 1 year ? On what parameters ?   View Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Linthicum, MD (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2010.

Interview Details Job openings are posted around 5am & are taken down usually by 9am, when they've received the number of applicants whose resumes they can evaluate that day. When applying, if you don't answer the multiple-choice questions the way they want, you won't be considered for the position. A recruiter there actually told me to lie, just to get past the automated system's filter.
After you find an open listing, apply in time & answer the questions correctly, a recruiter will call you (within about 4-7 days) for a brief phone interview with extremely basic questions. After you pass that stage, you'll be emailed, asking that you go to the company's regional People Department for a formal interview. The People Department can be 100s of miles from the airport where you'd be working, & you (the applicant) are responsible for any costs or travel incurred because of the interview.
Next, you'll meet with a member of the People Department for a face-to-face interview. It's critical to be punctual, appear extremely upbeat, eager, & able to handle any challenges Southwest's customers could throw at you. It helps to remember the 3 values that Southwest prides themselves on: servant's heart, warrior spirit, & fun-loving attitude.
The recruiter didn't give any indication of whether or not he would recommend I be hired. I found out later that since the background check can take about 3 weeks, they don't tell you anything until they make sure you don't have a criminal past. Roughly 3 weeks after the interview, I got a call saying I was hired. They usually hire several people at once, so that they can all train together. They'll give you one or two dates to start on. I think the first one was about a week away. I said I needed to give my other job 2 weeks notice, so I took the 2nd start date that he mentioned. I was given the impression that if neither of the dates they offered worked for me, that they would retract the job offer.
After I was hired, I was told that statistically, it's easier to get accepted to Harvard University than it is to get hired by Southwest (because sooooo many people apply & don't make it).

Interview Question – Are you SURE that you've never committed a felony or misdemeanor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation: it's a union job, so everyone has the same starting rate. Raises are by seniority, never merit-based.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Southwest Airlines