Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.8

Technical Writer/ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2013.

After submitting a resume online, a recruiter called me for a brief conversation about my college experience and why I wanted to work for Southwest. He followed up with a second phone call requesting I come in for a face-to-face interview, where the recruiter facilitated the 45-minute interview with the department head. I took an editing test (the position requires knowledge of editing marks, proofreading, and grammar) in a separate room after the interview, and heard back from the Company a month later. The process is very seamless, but few people get called back. If the phone rings from Southwest, answer it.

Interview Questions
    • What was your most difficult college course?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in June 2014.

Sent in resume December 2013 and received an email stating I would receive a call with in 2 a weeks. Received the call 3weeks later and it was the actual phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Vague question was" Tell me about customer service. ". Caught me off guard as there was nothing specific regarding the subject . I was informed that I would receive an email if I would go on to the face to face interview.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in August 2013.

Phone screening, face to face with team and hiring manager. Provided example of projects and role. Describe difficult situation and how I handle it. Ask how I would handle a difficult user, difficult assignment or difficult boss

Interview Questions
    • none, asked for experience and back ground and situational questions   Answer Question
    no negotiation, agency and I pre set the rate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Received a letter to come for an interview....I had one interview and was hired that day. Went for drug screening and was called for a class date a month later.

Take whatever they offer if you want the job.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Initial Phone call interview, if passed, they will invite you to a group interview with 25+ people. They are asking questions and going around the room. They are talking turns talking with everyone. They will leave the room and watch you on video from another room to see how you interact. They are looking for outgoing talkative people. Look sharp! Ladies wear a suit too! Look like a flight attendant! Full hair and Make up. Guys look shgarp! No facial hair. Short hair, clean cut. You SHOULD know that day if they send you to the next step. They may ask you to stay for a one on one, or they will call you back in for a one on on. Don't worry if you don't find out that day. If you don't hear from them in a week. You most likely didn't get it.

Interview Questions
    • They use STAR system so be PREPARED! They ask random quesations like tell me about a most difficult customer exprience, most irate customer and how you handled it. They want people who don't need conatant supervision and can get along well with others. NO AND LOW DRAMA. They are focusing on your customer service skills!   Answer Question
    They offered me the inflight class with pay , 30 days in Dallas, three main meals are taken care of, snacks and laundry facilities are not. it was like $1000 total and you don't get paid until you leave. You arent gauranteed to get position until you graduate. Then thats when you get the offer. I think it now starts at $21 something an hour.

Airline Pilot (First Officer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in May 2014.

Fantastic process and people conducting the interviews. Really tried to sell their company to you as much as you were trying to sell yourself to them. Three part interview - Panel (one HR person and a pilot), Logbook review (one pilot), Line Oriented Interview 7 min scenario (two pilots). Great brief before it started by their Director of Hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Have you applied with any other airline? (Tough question because you don't want to say yes, but being honest is important to me)   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Initially applied online -had a phone interview and days later a F2F, with the same recruiter. The F2F interview basically wanted to know how your previous exp related to interetest position. Your personality MUST be fitting w/ SWA! They are all about persnality and fun atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard! Or unexpected! At all.. just asked specifics about tell me about a time when, customer is not satisfied, what would you do type of questions.   View Answer
    None, it's was already learned upon the phone interview.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Several phone interviews, then face-to-face interview in Dallas. I had a very positive experience meeting a panel of employees from the market planning department in person. Recruiters were very friendly, both on the phone and in person.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting question about the intersection of Southwest and the arts.   Answer Question

Culture Activities Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

The interview consisted of 3 people. It was a basic interview, nothing too difficult. It was more conversational and no behavioral/situational questions. They wanted to know more about yourself and why they should pick you.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be able to answer "why we should pick you" question.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

You pretty much have to know somebody in the group your applying for be a contractor

Interview Questions
    • Interview was fairly standard and not very technical. They try to fit your personality more than your knowledge.   Answer Question
    brief and any changes have to filter though 3 level of management.