Southwest Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I applied online in November and didn't hear back until February and set up a phone interview with my main recruiter. The call lasted about 30 minutes and the recruiter was super friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She started off by telling me a little more about the position and then we went over my resume. I made sure to know the job description front and back so I could apply my experience to the position I was interviewing for. She asked me questions such as:
    -name a time you were in a conflict with someone and how did you handle it.
    -why your major?
    -why pursue this internship verse a full-time position?
    -what have you learned from these experiences?
    -why southwest?
    It went well because at the end of the phone call she said they wanted to fly me out to interview in person. There I brought my letters of rec and my "why Southwest" essay.
    At the interview I was with the same recruiter and the person I would be reporting to. They both were laid back and made me feel at ease. We again went through my resume so the manager could get to know me and was asked a few more situational questions:
    -what was your least favorite thing you did in your previous internship experience?
    -what's your weakness? (Answer this and spin it with a positive)

They do a good job of making sure you are comfortable so they can see the real you.

About a week later I got a call back and was told I was right for Southwest but not that particular position so my recruiter asked if I would be interested in a different position that better suited my skills. I set up another phone interview with her and the managers and went through the same questions and my resume. I made sure to do my research and offer any suggestions on the particular project I would be working on if selected as an intern. They liked that I already had ideas.

I was called back almost immediately with an offer.

Overall the entire experience was so laid back and friendly. Southwest doesn't just hire for the position, they hire the person and if they think you fit in with the culture, they will find a place for you which is why it's so important to just be yourself.
    A

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions

• Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Ramp Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call for a phone interview from a recruiter roughly a week after submitting an online application. I did however receive an email a few days before from a different recruiter asking me to fill out an online application for the Ramp Agent position. When I received the call, the recruiter started interviewing me for the wrong position. The interview was supposed to be for the Ramp Agent position, but I was being asked questions regarding a Customer Service Agent position. I informed the recruiter that I never applied for the Customer Service Agent position and he said, "Oops, give me a minute to get the correct job description". -.- How unprofessional are these recruiters? I clearly mentioned at the beginning of the interview I was surprised I heard so soon after applying for the Ramp Agent position, but apparently the recruiter wasn't listening. Another situation I noticed is that the recruiter had not read my resume at all before hand; he was going through the provided application I submitted online while I was explaining my background.

The interview consisted of questions such as, "Why Southwest?", "What is your previous work experience?", "Can you tell me what you know about the Ramp Agent position?", and "Are you okay with working in various weather conditions, carrying 70 pounds, and being payed $10.28 per hour for the first six months?" I was not asked any behavioral questions.

The online application does not fit a lot of information, I had no room to fill in all of my college adduction, high school education, previous jobs, and my current job. I do currently work for Delta as a Ramp Agent, and I don't think the recruiter liked hearing that. The tone of his voice changed from a somewhat preppy sound to a more annoyed sound after I mentioned my current work with Delta. The recruiter did say that he has a few more days of phone interviews and he will call me back in a few days. The key note for this interview compared to other phone interviews I have had with Southwest is that the recruiter specifically said, "I will call you back". Unfortunately, it has been about 5 days and so far no call back. The recruiter also specifically said, "Call me if you have any further questions regarding the Ramp Agent position". I did try calling him so I could ask a question but he did not pick up. I left a voicemail and so far I have heard no response.

Overall, this was once again a negative phone interview experience with Southwest Airlines. It seems many of the recruiters lack organization and do not return calls. Besides for my experience in working for a competitor airline, I'm not sure why I would not be chosen for a F2F. I was not given a chance to talk very much, the recruiter spent most of the time talking about the position and reading my application out loud. Any questions I were asked I could not give a somewhat long response answer because the recruiter kept interrupting to either ask a new question or to describe the job more in detail. At the end of the phone interview when he asked if I had any other questions was the only other opportunity I was given to talk more about me and to better answer his questions. However, to no surprise the recruiter interrupted and said if I have no other questions then that's all he has.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview. General introduction of the position and the expectations of the job. Moved onto behavioral questions on my resume and background. Ended with an open Q&A for any questions I had about the position or the company.

I was told this was a entry level position and they were looking at other candidates that are recent college grad or current college students. I have been working in the industry for about 3 years now.

They did not extend me a second round interview. They encouraged me to apply to the "business" side at SW and that I am a really great fit in the company. The reason is my experience is lacking in documentation & gathering requirements and they could not pass up on other candidates who have more experience.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have with documentation and gathering requirements?

What experience do you have working with other teams to solve a problem?

What coding languages are you familiar with and have a working knowledge to communicate with the tech teams?

Explain why you chose your college major and what career aspirations do you have in the future?

Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

After about 3 weeks of applying I got an email that they were considering me. I had to fill out an intensive application. They called me few days after for a phone interview. after a week they said I passed the phone interview and would like to move me up to 1-on-1 interview. 1on1 interview took another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• phone interview was relatively easy. why swa? and other customer service questions about situations with customers who were upset.   Answer Question

Ramp Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 qualities important to a ramp agent?   1 Answer

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Orange, CA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I was nervous about where the interview was going to be but luckily it's at the airport in which you are applying.

Two people interviewed me, didn't mention their positions. The woman that was not wearing the Southwest uniform did most of the questioning but they were both really friendly. I know that the woman not wearing a uniform split her time between Orange County and Arizona.

They are really friendly and silly and want you to be comfortable enough to answer truthfully! It isn't hard to engage in small talk with them as they are not stiff and just trying to fill out paperwork. They are trying to make sure you are good for the company and company mission.

I applied in early March, interviewed last Tuesday on March 31 and took my drug test today (April 6) and am scheduled to go to fingerprinting. Flying out to Oakland Thursday (April 9)

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I was emailed about the fact that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was offered a F2F interview. I had the F2F today with a recruiter from Phoenix, the assistant base manager and a peer CSA. After interview they had me wait outside and then asked to have me fingerprinted Did not schedule me for a Drug Test yet. Said they did the fingerprinting to save time but that I had to have a strong interview to get to fingerprinting. Said she was hoping to let people know by next week who was accepted. Does anyone think that this means I will get an offer?
    I really want this job.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I would deal with a coworker who was talking badly about someone/and or the company in the break room and how I would handle that.   1 Answer

Technical Software Lead - Java Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Conference call with HR and Hiring Manager. The 3rd person from the group scheduled to be on the call did not show up. The conference call dial-in security code was incorrect, so the interview was delayed 12 minutes. I had to call the recruiter working with me, to then get in touch with the HR person, regarding the incorrect dial-in security code. Once everyone was on the call, the interview went ok, except the hiring manager was hard to hear on a few questions, so I had to have him clarify/repeat them. And it didn't seem like he was not too happy about that? I have had other interviews with SWA over time, and I really get the impression that SWA looks for perfection in their interview process. And if that candidate doesn't come across as what they deem as "perfect", you are out of the running. Again, just my impression based on my experiences.

Interview Questions

• Basically went over the information on my resume, and the hiring manager asked a few questions regarding Agile Sprint scenarios, etc.   Answer Question

Part Time Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Omaha, NE (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted and scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview went fine, mostly questions about my past experience. I was then set up for a face-to-face interview with a Human Resource interviewer and the manager. I thought the interview went well but I was not offered a job. In all honesty I think my age (55) and being slightly overweight (size 14) is why I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• If you are working with someone who is in a bad mood what would you do to try to change their attitude?   1 Answer