SoftLayer

Updated 12 Nov, 2014
Updated 12 Nov, 2014

2.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer in November 2014.

Applied and took about 2 months, got an email and scheduled an interview. Interview was a 20 min Behavioral one with easy questions. They stressed that the job will be a hectic one with new projects occurring one after the other.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer in June 2014.

I applied on the official IBM website and got a voicemail on my phone three weeks later stating I am a potential candidate for the position. I scheduled an appointment one week later.

They ask the normal top 10 questions with the remaining time allocated for questions of your own for the interviewer. They explained how the business operated along with a typical workday during the interview.

Keep in mind that this position is an entry level position so pay may not be as high as you anticipate, but the job has a lot of capacity for learning new things. My impression was that this is a great place for growth as a new graduate into the workforce.

Soon after the interview, they conduct some background checks based on another application you have to fill out. Another couple of weeks of waiting after submission, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Shift hours not to my liking. Cannot change once your preference is submitted during the interview. When offered the position, I was told I could not change to a different shift, but the option may be open down the line.

Storage Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer.

I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   View Answer
    This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Abuse Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer.

None. They took me off the streets with no prior experience in this field.

Interview Questions
    • None. The interview was mere formalities given my prior experience and intelligence.   Answer Question

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer.

This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in March 2013.

Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.

Cst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Three managers will interview you and ask you different questions regarding hosting. The interview is fairly short and to the point. They need bodies in the call center to support their terrible service.

Interview Questions
    They going to pay you what they want to pay you, no negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer in January 2012.

Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question
    I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

The interview process was very lax. You will enter the front where security will stop you and make you wait for who ever called you. You will be given a temporary badge and taken on a short tour and offered an energy drink. There are confrence rooms upstairs where the interview will take place. 1 or 2 people will interview you. The questions will be right out of any top 20 interview questions list. You will be asked if you have any questions. I suggest asking about salary and benifits because they are not mentioned in their interview process. Good luck and GOD bless.