Social Security Administration

Updated 25 Feb, 2015
Updated 25 Feb, 2015

3.3

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Other Interview Reviews for Social Security Administration

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Applied online at USAjobs.gov in Dec 2014 got called for interview in a month. Met with two people, they were very nice but I couldn't get a read off them as to how I did. Still waiting for reply

Interview Questions
    • They asked mainly behavioral questions. Give an example of a stressful suituation and how did you handle it.
      Name a time you and another employee had a conflict.

Answer Question
    • Gave me a passage to read for 5 min them asked me to explain   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2015.

After requested documents were collected, I was interviewed by two managers. They gave a description of the job and explained the interview process which includes going through scenarios a claims representative may face on the job, like a role play to demonstrate how I would handle the situation. Some interview questions include describe a time you had to deal with an irate customer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to help an irate customer.
      What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2014.

Applied online at USA jobs, got referred within a week for a position at Fremont office. Scheduled an interview. They were right on time, 8 p.m EST, three people took started off by introducing themselves. Went very well, At times when they go silent, don't panic coz they're usually writing or preparing to ask the next question. I would wait for a response from them and update soon.
    The interviewers were very nice and patient after a long day of interviewing people, they said they have 4 more days to do it.
    I told them how i was getting back on my feet after being a stay at home mom for three years and they totally appreciated it that i was giving my time to my daughter.

Interview Questions
    • They Asked about 8 or 9 questions out of which some were occupational questions where they wanted me to relate the answer to a situation i've experienced at my job. Here are some questions they asked:
      1- Tell us about a situation where u overcame a challenge at work. They wanted me to really elaborate on it.
      2- How do u handle a stressful situation or tell us of a time when u experienced the most strew?
      3- Tell us of a time where you had a hard time communicating with your co-worker.
      4- Tell us about a time when you received a project and how did you plan it.
      5- A couple who is claiming to be married can show wat document to prove it.
      6- Tell us of a situation where you had a hard time communicating
      7-In the passed if you missed a deadline to submit a report or project. How did you handle it.
      8- Tell us about the most difficult decision in your life and how do you feel about it. Did you take advice from someone. (this could be personal or professional)
      9- This last question really made me ask if it was a real question. They asked what if the one thing i think i am a pro at, and if i have to teach it to them, how would i do it. This could be anything; ur hobby, cooking, baking, crafts, anything.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

I had to apply online. I was contacted about two weeks after the posting was closed. Prior to the interview, I was given a form to fill out asking about the basic programs Social Security offers. The interview was conducted by three people- a manager & two supervisors. They asked me about my work experience, education and if I had experience dealing with the public. The interview lasted aboutan hour. I was contacted teo months later with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how I would help a customer in another language. I told them that at my prior employer, we used a phone service that provides interpreters so if that option was available at SSA, I would do the same. However, if not, I would try to find a bilingual coworker for assistance.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Salary is ranked based on education & work experience. Masters degree applicants had the highest available starting salary at about 50k.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Orion, MI (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in June 2014.

I read all the reviews on this website regarding the interview and I seem to be the only one who went on 2 interviews for the same position. The 1st interview was fairly standard behavior-based questions (you can go to the OPM website to see what these questions are). Specific questions were, "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did you handle them and what was the result?" What would you do if someone who spoke another language came into the office, how would you direct that client, as you two cannot understand one another?", "Tell me about the most stressful time in your life" "How do you prioritize?" I detailed the 2nd interview questions in the next section. But overall, great experience! There were 5 interviewers, I was fingerprinted immediately following the interview. I would ensure that you know what SSI/SSDI is and why you want the position. I have interviewed for almost a dozen federal agencies and this was the 1st 1 that seem to really appreciate passion and that is why I was hired. Know the claims process, you can read about the process through this website on Glassdoor. You don't have to give perfect responses, but you definitely have to demonstrate that you have empathy, direction, leadership and motivation.

Interview Questions
    • The 2nd interview involved Situational-Based questions (which was more challenging). You can find these on the OPM website, however they are going to be completely different depending on the agency. The interviewers gave me a paragraph regarding SSA and I had to do a scenario where I explained the benefits to the interviewer and you only have 5 minutes to determine what you are going to say. The interviewer responded by saying, "Well what if I'm not permanently disabled and I will be out of work for 6 months, how am I going to live?" They also asked me questions regarding legal documentation. The scenario was this guy believed he was the biological father of this child, so the interviewers wanted to know what type of documents were needed to prove that the child was his.   Answer Question
    The person who hired me told me that because of my Bachelor degree, prior federal experience as a GS-9, and my VRA, VEOA, and veteran Preference that I would start as a GS-9 Step 3. There was a negotiation because I was not going to take a GS-7 when I had relatable experience.

Claims Representative Interview

Applied on usajobs.gov. Received a call month later to come in for a panel interview. Interview was very structured including behavioral and situational questions( an hour long). Received a call to come in for fingerprints a couple of days later.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Fairly standard behavior questions...describe a time when you had to deal with "X", what actions you took, and the outcome. The interview was conducted in a panel setting with three management representatives taking turns asking the questions. Overall the interview was conducted in a relaxed setting and more of a conversation tone than an adversarial format.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation you faced, the actions you took, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

I was interviewed last week Thursday by a supervisor and a director. They were both nice and I felt really relaxed and at ease. They said they will give me 2 interview questions & 4 situations I need to answer( there's no right or wrong for the situation questions) . I was told it can take 3-6 months to hear from them. This process last about 30 mins. Then I was taken to a different floor for fingerprinting. I'm so anxious I want to hear from them but I know I have to wait, hopefully they will call me before to tell me my results.

Interview Questions
    • If a mom comes in with her 3 small children who are not behaving and I'm not able to conduct the interview, what would I do?   View Answers (2)

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2014.

The hiring process took approximately 2 months. I submitted an online application and was contactd within one month. The interview was a panel with about 8 behavioral questions lasted for an hour or so. The atmosphere was good and relaxed. A couple days later I was asked to come in for fingerprints and a month later I was presented with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mostly about experience and education.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.