Sobeys

Updated 9 Nov, 2014
Updated 9 Nov, 2014

2.1

Cashier/Front End Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

It was a group interview, and we were asked 3 questions. First one was to look at the flyer and plan a meal. Second one was to take a product from the table and "sell" it. Final question was a role playing scenario. Everyone will get a card describing the scenario. One example is, you are working at customer service when a customer returns a rotten watermelon, what do you do? You don't need to bring a copy of your resume, but do bring your references.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing questions, but they aren't too bad. Just use common sense.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sobeys.

If you get a group interview its basically three questions for mine. I had 3 role playing scenarios with 3 other people; expect to have more people in your group. I started off by planning a meal; you are given the flyer and you're asked to create a meal based on creativity. In the next question we were allowed items to choose from a shopping cart (only a few items less than 10) and we were supposed to role play a scenario where a customer would come up and ask about the specific item you chose. Basically giving detailed facts on why they should purchase the brand or item they asked about; how it's healthy etc. Last question we were given slips of scenarios to play out. In my example; a grocery line stretches about 20 minutes long and a customer only has 3 items, he comes up to you and begs you to check his items out since he has so few, how would you handle that situation? (tip: you don't let him cut the line.) That was about it and remember to bring three references that they WILL call.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys.

I was prepared for a full interview, with lots of questions about who I am and what I could bring to the company. I was disappointed to find out that they were only meeting with the people who applied so that they could decide who they were interested in most for the follow up interview. They explained what they job was, and their responsibilities. Then questioned about my work experience and availability.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any previous work experience? Do you have any questions for us? Those were the only two questions asked.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in August 2014.

received a call, told i was invited a to a group interview with the administrative manager and produce manager. Did an Ice-breaker, picked stuff from the flyer and acted out a role. not a typical job interview

Clerk Interview

very good, self teaching aids for training and very in depth, not enough practical training time once you are on the job you are expected to perform at 100% far too quickly. mostly due to there not being enough wages in the budget to train extensively

Courtesy Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sobeys in February 2014.

Simplest interview I've had. Handed in an application and resume, got a call a couple months later asking me to come in for an interview. Interview was one on one with manager, he only asked three questions. He asked "When can you work?" "What are your hobbies?" "Why should we hire you?"
    I awnsered
    Evenings and weekends
    Volunteering
    (Akwardly) I think I'd be a good employee
    And he hired me on the spot, told me to come in for an orientation and shook my hand.
    The orientation was the next day, 4 other people were hired, we got our schedules, filled out pointless safety quizzes, got our uniforms, and were sent to follow around previous courtesies. The shift was 3 hours. Everyone had a trainer for 2 days, they gave me one for 5 because I was "nervous" and that was it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, minimum wage. It wasn't really an offer, he didn't ask if I wanted the job, he accepted for me.

Category Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in December 2013.

I applied online and through a recruiter it took 2 weeks, I got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me basic questions like, my salary expectation, availability technical skill sets. This took 10 minutes, he then said they will get back to me; five days later, on Friday at 3pm I got an email scheduling me for an appoint for Monday morning. (Thank God for Smartphones and the fact that I check my email every 30minutes). I met with the director and an HR lady who explain the position and then asked me questions:
    1. Tell me about yourself.
    1. What application do you know how to use?
    2. What can you do in excel and what function are you familiar with.
    3. How do you manage your schedule to stay on top of things?
    4. How do your skill set and past experience qualify you for this position?
    5. What is your strength and weakness?
    6. Tell me a time where you have use communication skills to resolve the problem.
    7. Why do you want to work for us?
    8. What is your goal i.e. Where do see yourself in 5 years.
    9. Rate your skill set from 1-5.

Two days later at 5:30pm I got a call for a second interview with the actual hiring manager that I it would be working with. This was very similar to the first interview, it's more to get a feel of your personality. The next day I was made an offer. (If you are applying for a job with Sobeys make sure you check your email and junk email at all times and answer every call after business hours.

Interview Questions
    • What step do you take to prove your value when hire.
      what step do you take when you miss a deadline

View Answer
    The offer was fair so there was no need to ask for more.

Meat Clerk Interview

It is very simple behavior-based questions. For example, give me a example in which you showed a good customer service experience and how did you greet customers and provided good service. It only took me 15 minutes to finish the interview. And the next day after interview, I got hired.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ajax, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ajax, ON

I applied online – interviewed at Sobeys in November 2013.

Had a group interview for Sobeys in their staff room. Very strange interview, it was broken into 3 parts, all mainly roll playing. One of the rolls was teaming up with another applicant, going through the weeks flyer and planning a meal...disaster. It would have been better if we could do the menu individually...and if the group interview didn't have almost 20 people. Many people didn't even have a chance to be seen or heard.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult....not your normal interview process.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sobeys in November 2013.

Submit my resume through linkedin . Had not got response for 3 month . Got interview notification suddenly and ask me to go their office the next day. First talk with hr manage and then department manage was asked to come in and talked for a while. Just talk interview with manager and human resource manager directly. and then after 1 weeks, got the offer.