Sherwin-Williams Interview Questions

Updated 25 Oct, 2014
Updated 25 Oct, 2014

2.6

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Very straight-forward and friendly process! Three interviews: 1.) phone interview w/ recruiter 2.) Store interview with store manager and assistant manager 3.) Face-to-face interview with City Manager and District Manager

The phone interview was about 30 minutes, questions were STAR format that had a lot to do with customer-service. Just prepare several "stories" about how you've done well in a sales/customer-service/management environment and be able to tell them in a way that makes you seem warm and professional. Recruiter also emphasizes whether you're open to relocation - so be open with them about your expectations.

The store interview is when you go in an learn more about the position. They go over the different responsibilities, from warehouse safety, sales, operations, and inventory management. Recruiter will email a worksheet with questions to ask the Store Manager - mostly about the different responsibilities and expectations. From my experience, the Store Manager didn't ask me anything about my past work-experience (they were busy!). I felt he was mostly gauging my interest in the job and whether it would be something I would want to do.

Final interview is at the District Office with the City Manager and District Manager. They went through my resume and asked me about my work experience. They also spent a good amount of time going over the opportunities and culture. They didn't ask any STAR questions (I was kinda bummed, I had prepared a lot!), but they mostly were gauging my personality and whether it would be a fit.

From my experience, everyone was overwhelmingly friendly. You can tell this is a good company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Name an instance when you've turned a negative customer-service experience into a good one.

Name a time when you've been part of a group where someone wasn't pulling their weight and what you did about it.
        Answer Question
    Set salary

STM - Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

This is a company where there is a lack of diversity. If you are a minority, you will get interviewed. But good luck with the interview process. This isn't a company that values diversity and it isn't a global company. To be honest, being a minority and working for this company would have been nothing but disappointments. Literally playing the role of Rosa Parks in a company like this isn't a battle worth taking on top of daily work stress. Politics would be a challenge you can't take on.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

I first met with the manager of the store. After a few questions and some time "getting to know" each other, I was told I would be meeting with the district manager. The interview with the district manager was just as simple. A few questions about my experience (the typical..."Do you have any customer service experience?", "Have you handled cash before?".

Interview Questions
    • There were not any difficult or unexpected questions. Everything was straight forward.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate.

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

Communications were very straight forward and detailed. Questions are sales based, experience based and make sure to ask what the every day processes are like. The managers are very friendly and want to get to know you, but I wish the store visit I was able to interact with the other employees and get their insight.

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in July 2014.

First, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to look over some information regarding the company to make sure that this was a company i wanted to work for. Next, the recruiter asked me which areas I was interested in working in and told me to officially apply for these areas. Then, a phone interview was set up. From here, he asked me to go visit a store and talk with the management of this store. I was there for about two hours. Next the recruiter contacted me regarding the store visit and asked me to go to another interview with the District Manager of the area I had applied for. The DM offered me the job on the spot and said that more information regarding salary and benefits would be e-mailed me. I officially accepted the job over e-mail the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a specific customer service experience you have had (positive and negative).   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Assistant Store Manager Interview

One on one interview with Store Manager. Discussed product knowledge and customer service. We also discussed a lot about customers and those I already knew. We discussed situations for other customers from other stores as well.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest work related mistake I ever made.   Answer Question
    Pay was negotiable.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams.

If you are looking for an assistant manager position within SW, this is a great place to start if you are just out of college. Typically there are about three interviews, the first starts with a recruiter, the second with the district manager, and the third is usually a store visit or another with the district manager.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself going within this company?   View Answer
    They give you a set offer plus bonus.

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warner Robins, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2014.

The interviewing process was as easy as can be. There is a 3 step process. The first step is the phone interview there is a recruiter who calls you and the call is about 30-45 minutes. After the phone interview, the recruiter will set you up for the second step which is the in-store interview. The in-store interview is usually about an hour to two hours long. I was told the store that I would be visiting and given the number to call the store manager to set up a time and date that was convenient for the both of us. I also asked what he recommended I wear which he told me khakis and collar shirt would be fine. It includes a tour of the store and a interview with the store manager and the assistant manager. Before you arrive, the recruiter will send you a questionnaire to print out and take with you for the in-store interview and it basically has questions that you should ask which gives you further details about the store and the business. The store manager asks his/her questions then you turn around and ask the questions listed on the sheet. Same goes for the assistant manager. If you make it to the 3rd step, you will be contacted by the District Manager to set up the final interview. Be sure to dress your best because this will be more of a professional interview than the first two were. After speaking with the District Manager you will then be contacted by the recruiter later in the week to offer or not offer you the job.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't so bad. The phone and the District Manager interview asked similar questions such as "Why do you want to work for the Sherwin- Williams Company?, What is good customer service? How would you handle an angry customer? "Based on the store visit, what would you change about the store?" Are you willing to relocate?" I realized that Glassdoor was the best source to prepare for the job interview with this company.   Answer Question
    I was hired by the District Manager and was offered the job where I gladly accepted. The recruiter sent the offer letter to my email address and I had a couple of days to accept or decline. The offer letter consist of the store location as well as the benefits and salary.

College Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sherwin-Williams in May 2014.

Three-part interview process which began with a telephone interview, then moved on to a store visit, and finally an interview with the district manager. The initial recruiter who gave you the phone interview stayed with you during the whole process and helped with any questions and always followed up to help schedule the next step. Everyone was very friendly, very obviously loved the company, and it was a great experience. The questions were pretty typical and included things like, "where do you see yourself in _ years?" or "describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer," "why do you want to work for Sherwin-Williams?" etc. The recruiter was the only one who had actually really looked at your resume and would ask questions over that, the store visit was more for you to ask questions and see if you wanted to work there, and the district manager asked a lot of the same questions as the telephone interview, but it was just more serious and in a professional setting.

Interview Questions
    • Give a specific example of when you had to deal with a customer in a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of times where you have been a leader and talk about your leadership style   Answer Question
    No negotiation, salary was set already.

Management Training Program (MTP) Interview

Interview Questions
    • The questions were normal questions. There was some situational questions on the last interview.   Answer Question
    No, negotiation.