Sephora

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spokane, WA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and about a week later went into the store with my resume. They told me they could not accept anything in store, but they were having a job fair at the same time down the hall. I ran down the hall and was about 6 minutes after they ended the fair. They still very nicely offered me an interview, and told me on the spot that they would call to set up a second phone interview with a manager from a different store, and that they would be calling my references. About 5 days later the same manager who interviewed me said that I would be getting a call from the other store manager in 2 days and we set up a time. She called and asked the same questions as the first interview, then said that the store I applied to would be getting in touch soon. I waited 5 days and then called to check in, let her know i was still interested and she said that she would get back to me tomorrow. She did, and she called to offer me the position.

Interview Question – Normal customer service questions.
Why sephora?
What got you into makeup?
Tell me about a difficult time with a customer?
Tell me what qualities you think make a good manager?
What qualities make a bad manager?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate.

Fort Collins, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sephora in August 2013.

Interview Details Filled out an application online, received a call for a group interview a few days later. Easy, relaxed environment. Although it was a group interview, everyone gets a turn to speak which makes it easy. Had an interview with the store manager a few days later, again super easy, more of a conversation than an interview. Only issue was I had to wait over a month to start, which kind of sucked.

Interview Question – They will ask you what you would do if a client dropped a perfume bottle outside the store right after purchasing it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

Interview Details First there was a group interview with 3 more girls. Questions were simple: about the experience and how we will deal with the difficult clients, why we want to change our jobs and get a job in Sephora. 15 minutes after the interview Specialist called me and invited for the second interview with the Store Director. It was an hour long interview with the same questions that are very simple to answer. They want you to assure them you will be professional and polite and know how to apply makeup on someone. AND SELL, SELL, SELL. They invited a cashier and told me to sell her a blush. They brought a brush, a blush and a highlighter. I put all 3 items in her basket. After that interview I was called and scheduled interview with the district manger on the phone. it took 3 more days and the same questions - 15 minutes only. I got a job in a week after I was interviewed for the first time. It is my biggest regret and disappointment. Sephora promises a lot and gives nothing, no respect, no recognition, no thank you. $500/ paycheck is very good if you will be getting as a color consultant, working 32 hours a week. This company is greedy and cheap. An ok job if you are a student and need some money, not good as a permanent job and you try to survive on those pennies that they will be given to you.

Interview Question – How will you deal with a client who is putting products into their purse in front of you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me 11.50/hour because you have an experience. no negotiable.

Color Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

Interview Details Applied online a month before receiving a call. Had the interview on a Wednesday which took about 30 mintues was super friendly. Received phone call the following week on a Friday as she said she would either way if hired or not. Offered me a core position and congratulated me on being hired cause of course I took the offer.

Interview Question – What can bring to Sephora?
What would you do if you had a issue with a fellow employee?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was about money, it is negotiable especially if you have previous retail and or in cosmetic industry. I got a tad under what I asked but well over the normal.

Buford, GA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora in May 2013.

Interview Details Before I applied, I'd visit the store often and became quite friendly with one cast member in particular. I then came in and spoke directly to the manager, who told me they needed people. I took an application and turned it in the next day (I didn't want to look desperate by turning it in there and then). I was called for a one on one interview a week later with the manager and then a makeup trial on a model a few days later. Once they checked out my references, I was offered a job about 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a rude customer?   View Answer

Aurora, CO (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Sephora in November 2012.

Interview Details It was very quick as I was hired on as a last minute Holiday worker. Brought my application, resume, and hand written cover letter and received a call less than a week later to come in the next day for an interview. The hiring manager and another lead interviewed me briefly (about 45 minutes) and offered me the position and I accepted. I came in the next day to shadow a manager for 5 hours, that was about it for my training.

Interview Question – "What would you do if a client walked in right now and asked you to find her the best mascara?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me the position of Color Consultant for $10.00 an hour and I accepted.

Reston, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in September 2010.

Interview Details I had to go trough 3 interview which took 1 month. The interview itself felt like I was interview by a policeman, very intense. The questions were normal, like for any costumer service related job.

Negotiation Details – I asked for $12, they offered me $11. I took it

South Portland, ME (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in May 2010.

Interview Details To be hired at sephora, you must show passion for the beauty industry and want to help clients. To work there you must be at least 18 years of age and fill out an application and bring it into the store. There is an interview process that can be with just a hiring manager or with several other candidates.

Interview Question – They ask a lot of questions about prior experience and basic questions that express your passion for the customer/client and the beauty industry.   Answer Question

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!