Sephora

Updated 11 Jan, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora in November 2014.

Was called for a brief phone interview and later was invited for a group interview. I got there and there were other girls waiting for the interview. Once we got inside, we were introduced to one another and the 2 leads asked us various questions, such as details about ourselves and a fun fact. Then we got into other questions such as "Have you had conflict with other co-workers?" "What frustrates you about the retail industry?" and more. They told us they would call us within a week after contacting our references but it has been a month.

Other Interview Reviews for Sephora

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sephora in December 2014.

Group interview. Got called three hours later. Accepted offer. Did paperwork and came the next day for training. Orientation was once a week for two weeks. That was the only part that doesn't make sense to me but I love it here

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a client broke a perfume after walking out   Answer Question

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sephora.

1. Submit resume 2. Group interview 3. Interview with other cast members 4. Phone Interview
    You will need to be comfortable talking in front of a group, and jumping threw quite a few hoops. (not literally)

1-2 weeks offered me a much lower wage than I had asked for

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Sephora in September 2014.

Basic questions as everyone has mentioned before. Why sephora, name one word to describe yourself, etc. it was a group interview, I thought I did really well, but have yet to hear from anyone 3 weeks later. Which is rude, and questionable. I am highly qualified, and did great. Very disappointed that they have not atleast emailed back to say that unfortunately at this time, the positions are filled up. Try again next time. Something.

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora in August 2014.

I applied online and about a week later went into the store with my resume. They told me they could not accept anything in store, but they were having a job fair at the same time down the hall. I ran down the hall and was about 6 minutes after they ended the fair. They still very nicely offered me an interview, and told me on the spot that they would call to set up a second phone interview with a manager from a different store, and that they would be calling my references. About 5 days later the same manager who interviewed me said that I would be getting a call from the other store manager in 2 days and we set up a time. She called and asked the same questions as the first interview, then said that the store I applied to would be getting in touch soon. I waited 5 days and then called to check in, let her know i was still interested and she said that she would get back to me tomorrow. She did, and she called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Normal customer service questions.
      Why sephora?
      What got you into makeup?
      Tell me about a difficult time with a customer?
      Tell me what qualities you think make a good manager?
      What qualities make a bad manager?

Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

I applied on the 3rd of July and was called on the 4th, I answered and was asked to set up an interview, I set up one for the following week. When I arrived to the interview I was then told it was a group interview. All I knew was to be super friendly so another girl that was waiting, I just started talking to her. We were then led to the food court and asked questions and told to answer how ever. Most of the questions were very general like why sephora, do you have an retail experience, tell me about an co worker who didn't follow rules. At the end of the interview they told us they would follow up in that week. Two days later I was called to have a personal one on one and since I had cosmetic experience to do a demo. I went in a had my one on one which were more LP(loss prevention) and customer service orientated questions. They asked the infamous perfume question. I was then asked to do a demo on the manager, talk about nerve wreaking. So I did a smokey eye and then left as they were getting busy and was told that they would call me in the next week. I heard nothing. Then a little over a week later the Assistant Manager called me to tell me they were trying to get ahold of my references. I guess that means I did well in my second interview. So I explained that two of them were on vacation and they would be back this day. After they got ahold of my references they called me with an offer. I asked them to let me mull it over for a day and then decided I would take it and negotiate on salary.

Interview Questions
    • If a client came into the store and explained that she just bought the perfume and broke it what would you do?   View Answer
    I asked the manager if they would be open to salary negotiations, I put a price on my application which you should never do. She asked why I wanted more since I put down $$ and I explained that I know what my value is as an employee and the type of environment I would be working in. we landed somewhere in the middle of what I wanted and what was offered.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

Applied online a month before receiving a call. Had the interview on a Wednesday which took about 30 mintues was super friendly. Received phone call the following week on a Friday as she said she would either way if hired or not. Offered me a core position and congratulated me on being hired cause of course I took the offer.

Interview Questions
    • What can bring to Sephora?
      What would you do if you had a issue with a fellow employee?

Answer Question
    Negotiation was about money, it is negotiable especially if you have previous retail and or in cosmetic industry. I got a tad under what I asked but well over the normal.

Color Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

First there was a group interview with 3 more girls. Questions were simple: about the experience and how we will deal with the difficult clients, why we want to change our jobs and get a job in Sephora. 15 minutes after the interview Specialist called me and invited for the second interview with the Store Director. It was an hour long interview with the same questions that are very simple to answer. They want you to assure them you will be professional and polite and know how to apply makeup on someone. AND SELL, SELL, SELL. They invited a cashier and told me to sell her a blush. They brought a brush, a blush and a highlighter. I put all 3 items in her basket. After that interview I was called and scheduled interview with the district manger on the phone. it took 3 more days and the same questions - 15 minutes only. I got a job in a week after I was interviewed for the first time. It is my biggest regret and disappointment. Sephora promises a lot and gives nothing, no respect, no recognition, no thank you. $500/ paycheck is very good if you will be getting as a color consultant, working 32 hours a week. This company is greedy and cheap. An ok job if you are a student and need some money, not good as a permanent job and you try to survive on those pennies that they will be given to you.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with a client who is putting products into their purse in front of you?   View Answers (3)
    They told me 11.50/hour because you have an experience. no negotiable.

Color Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

Applied during the hiring open house for seasonal. The open house had in-person interviews being held that day. The interviews were done in a group style. It was me and another girl. My interview was successful. I was called back for another interview. My references were called. A week or so later they sent me an email confirming I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were the usual. What are your goals? How do you deal with many clients at one time? What are your experiences?   Answer Question

Color Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

There was three interviews. The process went pretty fast. There first a group interview.( I did not know it was a group interview until I arrived) Then a one on one interview and lastly a group interview with interacting with other candidates in various retail scenarios. For exchange, we took turns being the client and cash wrap consultant. I met three different employees who were hiring for the location.

Interview Questions
    To make sure you do your research.