Schlumberger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Reservoir Engineer
Calgary, AB

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Interview Details Initial contact was at the University of Calgary Career & Job Fair on Tuesday February 5, 2013. I simply submitted my resume at the booth and talked briefly to recruiter to express my interest in the Field Engineer position. I was reminded to also apply online, both on the U of C website and careers.slb.com.

I received an email about a week later to schedule an interview for Tuesday, February 26 (reading week was in between). It was for the Reservoir/Petroleum Engineer position under Petrotechnical Services. I attended the info session the day before - I would recommend this to anyone in the same position.

The interview itself was unexpected in the way it was conducted. They got right into it with the "dull" questions: do you have the legal right to work in Canada, what's your GPA, full-time position or part-time, etc. Make sure to bring the latest copy of your resume too as that was requested from me.

The actual "interesting" questions were more scenario than behavioural in my opinion, but ultimately accomplish the same thing - they want to know what kind of person you. Here are all the questions I can remember (in no particular order; not the exact wording necessarily)):
- Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in working for Schlumberger
- Talk about a time you were in a leadership position and everything was on time, going to plan and so forth, when you unexpectedly found something or had something happen that threw things off course.
- Tell us about a time you had a 'MacGyver' moment
- How do you motivate your team and ensure that they are getting the job done?

We also discussed what exactly I was interested in, and it became obvious that my wants and skills were more geared towards the Field Engineer role. He said he would pass on my information, and sure enough I received an email on Friday, March 1 for an interview on Tuesday, March 5 for the Field Engineer position.

So I advise you to know where your interests lie. He asked me to rank the following in order of preference: "Reservoir, Drilling, Production, Petrophysics." Overall, it was a solid interview, but keep a calm and cool face as they love to play mind games. But it's nothing personal haha.

Interview Question – SLB are known for asking a brainteaser. You don't just answer the question - they like you to walk through your logic. It is this that is important, not necessarily getting the answer correct:
"You are in a room with three switches, and in another room are three lights. You do not know which switch activates which light. Assuming there are no tricks, the wiring is fine, and you begin in the switch room with only a single trip to the light room, how do you know which switch corresponds to which light?"
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Data Interview

Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2009.

Interview Details consisted of 2 interviews. The first was with the Manager of the department who accessed my skills and explained the job. The second (about a week later) was with the two supervisors who asked pointed questions basically to determine how I reacted to stress, what would I do in certain conflicting positions etc.

Interview Question – none that I know of   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiations. I accepted and started a week later.

Edmonton, AB

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2012.

Interview Details 1st Stage: Telephone interview. It was very casual for me, the interviewer asked about my hobbies and some of my past experience. I'd say it was very informal, as long as you sound confidence and your familiar with your resume's experience you're good.

2nd Stage: On-site Interview. 2 day interview, consist of self-introduction, group game, presentation regarding a specific Field Engineer discipline, tour in SLB's equipment plant and an interview. The whole 2 day process was a huge interview itself, so don't lose your cool just because you think you schooled any part of the process, stay cool the whole time. Be prepared about your presentation, it's a good chance to show your preparation. Ask questions during plant visits, show interests and your knowledge about their operation.

Interview Question – There was no difficult/unexpected question for me, but that was just my case. Again, be prepared for your presentation's topic, and show that your a team player during the group game, and don't be afraid to interact with SLB's people or other candidates during the tour since it shows you're good with people.   Answer Question

St. John's, NL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2012.

Interview Details One on one interview with the HR person. She asked the common question such as why do you want to join schlumberger. then she gave me different situations and asked for my response like working under stress full situation etc

Interview Question – What keeps you motivated   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Waiting for second interview

Interviewed at Schlumberger

Interview Details First interview basically evaluated ur personality and if ur fit for the lifestlye

Interview Question – Describe a situation where u were a leader for a team   Answer Question

Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2012.

Interview Details Applied online and also at the campus career fair. Received an interview and asked basic questions - nothing technical. Seemed to focus a lot of having done team work and other such things. They made it appear that they wanted someone really aggressive at their information session and I tried but obviously it didn't work.

Interview Question – What's the most creative thing you've done?   Answer Question

Geoscientist Interview

Edmonton, AB

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

Interview Details I applied to Schlumberger throught their website and they recruited at my university. I was emailed about an interview before they arrived on campus. The interview was one on one and most of the questions were situation and behavioural based. How to deal with conflict in the workplace etc, how do you know you're done a good job, give examples of being in tough situations at work and how do you sort them out. There were also brain teaser type questions.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was given a picture with 3 light bulbs and told they were in a room and the three switches were in another room. You were only allowed to enter the room with the lights once and how would you know which switch corresponded to which light.   View Answer

Field Specialist Interview

Red Deer, AB

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in April 2012.

Interview Details It began with a phone interview with the standard questions like: Tell me what you know about Schlumberger. Tell me about a time when you had to "jimmy rig" something to get the job done. Why would you be an asset to the company.

After the first interview, they flew me to Edmonton for a 2 day interview. The first evening was a 4.5 hour session with 11 other people. Dinner was served during the "interview". This presentation consisted of introduction to the company, team building exercises, and specific presentations on the different divisions of the company.

The team building started with everyone introducing themselves and doing something that took them out of their comfort zone like imitating their favorite tv character, showing their favorite dance move, etc. Then we were separated into groups and had to make something out of paper, elastics, tape, a balloon, and popsicle sticks. You are only allowed to ask certain questions about what you're doing. Whatever you're doing, it involves a golf ball (they change the outcomes throughout the process). ASK WHAT THE OUTCOME IS! That's the one we wished we would have asked. The main thing they are looking for is communication and who is a leader so feel free to speak up!

The second day began with a tour of an artificial lift facility which was then followed by individual interviews. During the interview they asked technical questions. See next section.

After the individual interviews were complete we were taken back to the hotel and all left for our flights home. It took 4 weeks for me to get my offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the hour hand and minute hand on a clock when it is 3:15?   View Answers (7)
  • You have 8 weights. They all look the same, feel the same, but one weighs slightly more than the other but you cannot tell by looking or feeling it. You have a balance scale infront of you but you can only use it twice. How do you determine which weight is the heaviest?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations with Schlumberger. The company is so large they can afford to have set rates.

Field Specialist Trainee Interview

Mount Pearl Park, NL

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2012.

Interview Details first interview 1-1 with D & M manager, it went well so I was invited to a second group interview that lasted 2 days and consisted of presentations, group activities, information sessions, a tour of the local facilities and a second 1-1 interview. Second interview was honest look at what the job entailed and a problem solving skills test that included mathematical problem solving skills and einstein's riddle.

Interview Questions

• The gave me two fairly difficult problem solving questions. one was a mathematical problem and the other was Einstein's riddle.   View Answer
  • Einstein's Riddle was a question that was deductive and logical reasoning. It basically said there were 5 different colour houses in a row on a street, a person of a different nationality lives in each house, they each have a different favourite pet, drink and cigarette. The question consisted of logical statements from which you should make a table to assign characteristics to each house. The only question at the end was who owns a fish? the only way to answer the question properly is to logically reason it out.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing was really negotiable. We were able to rate our preferences of segment and location but nothing was guaranteed. Base salary was also non negotiable.

Field Specialist Interview

Calgary, AB

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2011.

Interview Details Started with the phone interview where they asked the regular slb questions of why slb? ever worked in a group? 8 balls and 2 weights, this stage was good. Next was the 2 day 2nd interview where 1st night was team skills, team bonding (breaking the ice) and presentation about the different departments of slb they are hiring for. you are then asked to pick your preferred department and location.

Next day, visited a slb location and given a tour, then the 11 interview of why the department of your choice, difficult situation questions and an aptitude question, then u are off,

Interview Questions

• what is the harshest work condition u ever worked under   Answer Question
  • When was the last time you worked with a team and what difficulties did u face?   Answer Question
Interviews for Top Jobs at Schlumberger