Schlumberger Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Was contacted for a first interview after submitting a resume to the university database. Had a briefing session with interested students and other candidates before the interview to learn more about the company.
    Interview was not conducted by who they said it would be conducted by and was not much of an interview at all. Wasn't asked anything about myself or any typical interview questions, the interview just explained more about the company and how awesome it was to work for them but that it would be very difficult to get the position due to the high number of qualified applicants. Was quite surprised when invited back for a second interview.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Schlumberger.

First round interview, was contacted after submitting my resume to a recruiter during a university career fair. Interview lasted 30 minutes with the same recruiter from the fair. Interviewer was friendly, interested in personal details, very honest about the demands of the job. Made a big point of explaining how Schlumberger supports its employees with training, etc.

Received an invitation to a second round interview 2.5 weeks later and was given 3 days to respond. Second round interview takes place about a month after the first round interview, but I had to reschedule due to a conflict so mine will be a little later than that.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, but you are expected to show personality e.g. 'tell me about yourself'   Answer Question

Field Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Applied through my campus career center, ams was notified of an interview for the next week. Was asked to attend an information session that gave an overview of the company and was pretty interesting overall. The first interview was very casual and they seemed like they wanted to make sure that you are interested in working in tough conditions. I was not asked to a second interview but it sounds like its much more difficult.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, they wanted to hear about my experience working in teams.   Answer Question

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2013.

Initial contact was at the University of Calgary Career & Job Fair on Tuesday February 5, 2013. I simply submitted my resume at the booth and talked briefly to recruiter to express my interest in the Field Engineer position. I was reminded to also apply online, both on the U of C website and careers.slb.com.

I received an email about a week later to schedule an interview for Tuesday, February 26 (reading week was in between). It was for the Reservoir/Petroleum Engineer position under Petrotechnical Services. I attended the info session the day before - I would recommend this to anyone in the same position.

The interview itself was unexpected in the way it was conducted. They got right into it with the "dull" questions: do you have the legal right to work in Canada, what's your GPA, full-time position or part-time, etc. Make sure to bring the latest copy of your resume too as that was requested from me.

The actual "interesting" questions were more scenario than behavioural in my opinion, but ultimately accomplish the same thing - they want to know what kind of person you. Here are all the questions I can remember (in no particular order; not the exact wording necessarily)):
    - Tell us about yourself and why you are interested in working for Schlumberger
    - Talk about a time you were in a leadership position and everything was on time, going to plan and so forth, when you unexpectedly found something or had something happen that threw things off course.
    - Tell us about a time you had a 'MacGyver' moment
    - How do you motivate your team and ensure that they are getting the job done?

We also discussed what exactly I was interested in, and it became obvious that my wants and skills were more geared towards the Field Engineer role. He said he would pass on my information, and sure enough I received an email on Friday, March 1 for an interview on Tuesday, March 5 for the Field Engineer position.

So I advise you to know where your interests lie. He asked me to rank the following in order of preference: "Reservoir, Drilling, Production, Petrophysics." Overall, it was a solid interview, but keep a calm and cool face as they love to play mind games. But it's nothing personal haha.

Interview Questions
    • SLB are known for asking a brainteaser. You don't just answer the question - they like you to walk through your logic. It is this that is important, not necessarily getting the answer correct:
      "You are in a room with three switches, and in another room are three lights. You do not know which switch activates which light. Assuming there are no tricks, the wiring is fine, and you begin in the switch room with only a single trip to the light room, how do you know which switch corresponds to which light?"
        View Answer

Data Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Schlumberger in August 2009.

consisted of 2 interviews. The first was with the Manager of the department who accessed my skills and explained the job. The second (about a week later) was with the two supervisors who asked pointed questions basically to determine how I reacted to stress, what would I do in certain conflicting positions etc.

Interview Questions
    there was no negotiations. I accepted and started a week later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in July 2012.

1st Stage: Telephone interview. It was very casual for me, the interviewer asked about my hobbies and some of my past experience. I'd say it was very informal, as long as you sound confidence and your familiar with your resume's experience you're good.

2nd Stage: On-site Interview. 2 day interview, consist of self-introduction, group game, presentation regarding a specific Field Engineer discipline, tour in SLB's equipment plant and an interview. The whole 2 day process was a huge interview itself, so don't lose your cool just because you think you schooled any part of the process, stay cool the whole time. Be prepared about your presentation, it's a good chance to show your preparation. Ask questions during plant visits, show interests and your knowledge about their operation.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult/unexpected question for me, but that was just my case. Again, be prepared for your presentation's topic, and show that your a team player during the group game, and don't be afraid to interact with SLB's people or other candidates during the tour since it shows you're good with people.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  St. John's, NL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in St. John's, NL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2012.

One on one interview with the HR person. She asked the common question such as why do you want to join schlumberger. then she gave me different situations and asked for my response like working under stress full situation etc

Waiting for second interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

First interview basically evaluated ur personality and if ur fit for the lifestlye

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in October 2012.

Applied online and also at the campus career fair. Received an interview and asked basic questions - nothing technical. Seemed to focus a lot of having done team work and other such things. They made it appear that they wanted someone really aggressive at their information session and I tried but obviously it didn't work.

Geoscientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

I applied to Schlumberger throught their website and they recruited at my university. I was emailed about an interview before they arrived on campus. The interview was one on one and most of the questions were situation and behavioural based. How to deal with conflict in the workplace etc, how do you know you're done a good job, give examples of being in tough situations at work and how do you sort them out. There were also brain teaser type questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was given a picture with 3 light bulbs and told they were in a room and the three switches were in another room. You were only allowed to enter the room with the lights once and how would you know which switch corresponded to which light.   View Answer