Save the Children Interview Questions

Updated 2 Apr, 2015
Updated 2 Apr, 2015

2.8

Director Position Interview

Interview

The HR Recruiter had a 30 minute conversation with me and flat out said that I was going to be having an interview with the hiring manager. I did my due diligence and spent a ton of time preparing. She never bothered to return another email or phone call. Completely unprofessional. She showed zero integrity.

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was over Skype. My interviewers looked like they were in their pajamas, I acknowledge that's there's a time difference, but still would be respectful to dress appropriately. At one point, one interviewer left room and wandered off to another room, without excusing herself, a little distracting. Was given 1.5 days notice for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed?
      How would you track a project with lots of stakeholders?

Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Save the Children.

Interview

I was contacted 1 week after applying. From the email to the meeting, the interviewer seemed to just want to get the interview out of the way. The interviewer seemed preoccupied and disorganized; asked a few questions; and it was over in 10 minutes. I walked out of there feeling they already made their decision. Complete waste of time.

Health Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Save the Children.

Interview

I received a call from the DC office to schedule an interview for two different positions on two different days. I was interviewed by two people. It was an interesting interview.

Interview Questions

• The question were directly related to the position. Like, what would you do in this type of situation, or what would your methods or procedure be.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children (Nairobi (Kenya)).

Interview

Hiring starts by advertisement then after deadline of application takes two weeks for selection, one is then invited for an interview which is basically a written assessment then if successful you are then invited for an interview which is an oral interview where there will be a panel of 3-5 mostly 3 people,a department guy who will be basically your supervisor, a hr guy and one person from the administration department or support service personnel.If you are successful you will be send an email notifying you that your referee are being contacted and they will be sent forms to fill about your conduct and how well they know you such stuff.Each process takes two weeks,the written interview will be technical questions that will measure how well you are in your are of specialty. The oral interview will consist of the general part of the interview and technical part restrictively. Caution some people have both interviews at the same day depending on the urgency of the position/recruitment so come prepared for any of the two cases.All the best contract for internship is 3 months and will be extended by a month or max 2 months.

Interview Questions

• 5 Policies that you would put in place to ensure safeguarding of cash and cash equivalents   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary negotiation was during the second interview where i quoted four times the standard pay for kenyan national interns which is ksh 15,000 since i had seen that UK interns earn usd 1200 as stipend but that was just for protocol the salary is standard that you will know when receiveing contract form after you have passed the inerview

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children in November 2014.

Interview

Brief phone screen by HR, then brief phone interview with manager (I was not located near offices). They didn't ask very difficult questions, they just wanted me to tell them about myself, and they wanted tell me about the position. The process from the time I applied to the time I got hired took maybe 1.5 months.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Save the Children in September 2014.

Interview

got a call from Beijing HQ office for scheduling an interview in Shanghai;
    the interview consists of one manager, one HR, and one HR from Beijing HQ (by phone);
    it lasts about half an hour;
    later they gave me 40 minutes to come out with an action plan, given a specific topic. It has to be in English.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what is my expected salary for this position, I said working in NGO has always been my dream and I know it perfectly that NGO is not a place for seeking big fortune. As long as it's reasonable I'm fine with it. Two days later they called me and gave me offer, the salary was satisfying, especially comparing to local NGOs in China.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Save the Children (Westlands (Kenya)) in July 2014.

Interview

The position is first advertised through the regions website though its also circulated through various advertisers.If you are successful and pass the CV screening process that usually takes 2-3 weeks, you are then invited to an assessment this is basically skills test relevant with the department you are applying for don't panic just remember what you learnt in school and emerging issues in the industry and sector that will take a week to get the feedback and the assessment is usually an hour.If you are successful the next step is the panel interview that has 3-4 people.The department manager or coordinator that will be your line manager, the hr department assistant and the operations department rep usually an assistant or officer,but for me i got the pleasure of being interviewed by the operations director;very friendly let not the title give you chills.During the interview there is the general questions part and the technical part both will last 30-45 minutes then you will be given a chance to ask the panel some questions.For the general part each will ask about 3 questions then the technical part would basically consist of the department and support guess because its more of a departmental review.If you are successful it will take you a week to get the feedback and they usually ask if you will be available in a week.Most probably they will also have asked that during the interview.Bingo you are up n running.

Interview Questions

• Internal controls that an organisation like save the children would put to safe guard its cash and bank assets.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for intern position salary is fixed

Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Save the Children.

Interview

Initial communications were clear via email and phone. The process can be longer as people travel within the company.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Save the Children (Washington, DC (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

There were two telephone interviews. The first was an initial screening with the department assistant. The second was with the hiring manager. Both were straightforward. I was asked to describe my relevant experience and how I could contribute to the team. I prepared by reading relevant Save the Children publications.

Interview Questions

• What advice can you offer us for improving our organization?   1 Answer