SMART Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.7

Software Development Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at SMART Technologies in September 2011.

First contact was a phone screening from a recruiter. He asked me some questions about my experience and based on that he decided on a position to slot me into for an in-person interview. Though I was not currently employed in a tech lead position, I was sent an email informing me that I my in-person interview would be for a tech lead position.

My in-person interview was filled with bad omens from the start. Both myself and another man who looked older than me were waiting in the lobby. Rather than calling out my name and waiting for the candidate to approach him, the interviewer walked straight up to the older looking candidate and asked him if he was me.

Once we sorted that out, I was in a room being interviewed by two managers. My resume had noted that I had a certain number of years of experience with C++. They asked me about that and when they learned that I included non-professional experience in that number, they crossed that number out on my resume and wrote the number of years of professional experience in its place. That bothered me for several reasons, least of which because it implied that they thought that I was misrepresenting myself on my resume. Maybe if they had asked me more questions they would have learned why that experience was relevant.

We spent some time talking about development process at my then current job and then it steered back to their own processes. They loved dropping big-A Agile buzzwords and would often respond to my questions with, "Well, the books say that..." but didn't really seem to be able to explain the essence of what they were doing. Cargo-cult agile alarm bells were going off in my head at this point.

Then they took a confrontational stance and noted that I was not a tech lead at my then current position but I was interviewing for a tech lead position with them. They asked, "Why should we promote you?" Given that their own recruiter had slotted me into this position for the interview, that was the last straw for me. I was fed up with the way this was going so I responded, "Maybe you shouldn't."

At that point they looked at each other and agreed that they knew everything that they needed to know, so they were going to skip the technical part of the interview. They were trying to communicate this to each other as if I was too dumb to realize that they were actually agreeing on "no hire" and didn't want to proceed any further. I knew this interview wasn't going anywhere but I was so offended by the way I was treated that I made them answer my questions for another 45 minutes anyway.

Interview Questions
    • This position is a higher level than your current position. Why should we promote you?   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

The company contacts the interviewees with Internship Coordinator. One interview, very easy questions. Focus on the skills used in the interviewer's team. Not a difficult interview.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waterloo, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in February 2014.

I applied for this position through my university's job board. I was granted one interview after electronically submitting my resume and qualifications. The interviewers were very relaxed and easy to converse with. They asked a lot of technical questions about features of my language of choice (C++ at this time), but only a couple of coding questions. My impression of the facilities is that they were rather upscale and very pleasant. The office environment seems excellent.

Interview Questions
    • How virtual methods are implemented in C++   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies in August 2010.

Apply to jobs posted on the SMART web site.
    HR calls your for a video interview that you pre-record and submit for asynchronous review. This is like a pre-screen interview.
    HR calls you for an interview with the hiring manager.
    HR calls you for a group interview with the team members - fit interview.
    If all goes well, within the 2 months of initial HR contact, you'll be offered a job. No negotiations were permitted on the job offer.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Contacted by a recruiter, interview. Very solid. Spoke with Director via Skype, solid. Director visited my home town, interviewed in person, solid. Flew me to Calgary (international), interviewed up to President level (multiple Directors, CTO, Pres), solid. Discussed salary options and potential start dates on a Friday. Told to expect communication on Monday. On Tuesday, recruiter called and told me SMART had changed job focus and I would not be considered. Entire process - 2.5 months. Was hinted in several conversations, that I should consider holding off on other opportunities, if possible, due to strength for the position. Well - we know where that went.

Interview Questions
    • none. actually the interviews were solid, focused, and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at SMART Technologies in October 2013.

Applied online for a university co-op work term through the internet. Received a response about 1 week later.

Interview was very easy. Most questions were testing general aptitude for programming, testing, and problem solving with some questions. Will ask only questions about subject that he thinks you should understand. For example, the job description wants Python, but if Python is not on your cover letter or resume, it will not be mentioned. If something like C++ is on your cover letter, prepare to talk about it.

Interview Questions
    • How would you make sure that your search engine is a good one?   View Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at SMART Technologies in March 2013.

First interview over phone with HR person, then was asked to come into Office and was interviewed by 2 guys and then second round by manager.
    Heard nothing back from them and realized that they have dropped the ball somewhere, their HR person was no longer with them, not sure but think this might be a sinking ship, with all the layoffs etc

Interview Questions
    • None, asked about Momento pattern, design a book library system, serializations and some C++ questions vtable and virtual pointer etc, The only downside was I was sick as a dog at the interview but think I still survived.   Answer Question

Software Developer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SMART Technologies in February 2013.

Applied through campus recruiter. Got an interview a week and a half after applying. Interviewer was great, very personable guy. There was one technical question, a couple of general questions about things he saw on my resume. Very good expierience overall. I followed up with a thank you and another question, and after a few back and forths he told me that they had chosen someone with some more expierience, however he said I did well in the interview and they would have been happy to hire me.

Training Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at SMART Technologies.

Phone screening
    Phone Interview / Presentation
    In Person interview / presentation

Interview Questions
    • If your material doesn't make it to the customer site, what do you do?   Answer Question
    Straight forward - they offered what I asked for.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online - interviewed at SMART Technologies in November 2012.

Applied through company website. First round of technical interview was about few object oriented concepts. They were tying to see your thought process. Technology did not matter. They were looking for problem solver and quick learners.

After a week, I had a second round of interview called the fit interview. It was more about talking about your previous work challenges. What kind of a work you like etc. I was presented two different teams to join with different technology involved. Both looked attractive posing different challenge, So I did not choose, I said that I am fine with both options.

Both the interviews were for 50 mins. Then I saw the company laid of lot of employees on the news in the next 10 days. Then I did not hear from them.

Interview Questions
    • questions did not appear difficult to me. Due to the amount of my experience from a well known company, I guess they did not probe much and they focused on other aspects   Answer Question

Worked for SMART Technologies? Contribute to the Community!