S&P Capital IQ Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr, 2015
Updated 13 Apr, 2015

3.1

Research Associate Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in October 2014.

Interview

There were 5 rounds starting with a moderate test then a Hr interview followed with another test, this will happen in a day and then the selected candidates are further called for interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Three interviews:-
    1. First Round(phone) :HR based interviews with general HR questions and provided a coding Quiz(Fraction point).

2. Second Round(phone): Interview with the hiring manager, general questions about my experience and courses taken at school. Discussed about my projects and how I could improve it now, and also went over the quiz.

3. Third Round (on-site) : 3 Round interviews with 4 different people(two in the last round). First round asked general question for 10 mins and provided to a coding quiz to be solved in 45 mins.

It had 4 questions ,all Data structures and OOPS based.
    1.Least Common Ancestor in a BST.
    2. Merging two sorted lists.
    3.How to Designing cache to return data faster (solution-hashtable) and how to improve it with multiple requests(multi-threading..)
    4. How to design vending Machine.

Second Round, the interviewer went over each solution and asked questions around the problem, improvements, and running times.

Third Round, two interviewers went over OOP, Design Patter, multi-threading, etc. Asked me to design and write codes for a Deck of cards for Blackjack, and some features of BlackJack Game(shuffling, players, giving cards to each player, etc).

Interview Questions

• Nothing too hard, brush up on data structures and OOP.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated starting date.

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it !

Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot).

On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated.

I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer.

S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones.

1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code)

2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.
        - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries

3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite

4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100.

In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest.

Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it.

Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply.

After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails.

AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings.

At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS.

Hope this helps !

Interview Questions

• 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   1 Answer

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was quite simple. I applied through my university''s job portal. My resume got shortlisted and I was asked to schedule an interview appointment.
    On the day of the interview, there were two tasks, one was a written test and second was the interview.

Both the tasks were given a time on 30 minutes.

The test was easy but lengthy. So make sure you manage the time well.
    The interview was mostly based on your SQL skillset. The interviewer gave a scenario and asked to design a database for it. And then the whole interview went around the same database design.

Interview Questions

• The questions were quite simple. But they expect you to provide with an optimal solution for the problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online on my school's Job link. It is an on campus interview and I was asked to finish 4 programming questions in 30 mins. And the interviewer went through those 4 question with me together.

Interview Questions

• Design a Cache to store stock information.   1 Answer

Quality Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ.

Interview

S&P Capital IQ had come on our college campus and it was a one-day recruitment process,there were a total of 5 rounds. It started with aptitude which had three sections maths, database, coding etc. and there was sectional cutoff too and no negative marking, after that paper/pen test as i had opted for QA else for SE / DBA there was a live coding round, after that there were three rounds of interview. All this in a single day so it was pretty tiring. In the interviews just be calm and composed and give it your best shot!

Interview Questions

• In aptitude, quants and coding was not that tough whereas database was relatively tougher so prepare for dbms questions and not only queries but theoretical stuff too !   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

There are three rounds. First is the online test which is a mix of aptitude and technical and programming as well. Second and third rounds are core technical rounds focussing on DSA and DBMS. They asked all sort of joins and tuning a query. Linked Lists and Trees were there area of focus.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Mumbai (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus placements. There were supposed to be 5 rounds. First Aptitude then Technical Aptitude and then 3 interviews. But in my case there was only one interview. The whole process got over in an hour. The first aptitude had a few questions on quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning; a section on programming related MCQs and another on database related questions. It seems quite difficult but surprisingly got through. The second test had 2 sections One programming related where we could answer using logic/pseudo code/actual code/algorithm and another with database queries. Even this was difficult. Infact the Interview was pretty chilled out. General Questions based on Linked lists, queries, indexers, trees,etc. they were more interested in the approach rather than actual knowledge. In all a pretty good experience

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Hyderābād (India)).

Interview

interviews generally happen over 1-2 days consisting of 3-4 rounds usually ending with the Deputy director taking the final round questions wil be based on SDLC , ur projects and case studies relating to everyday problems, questions on you resume, future goals and related questions

Interview Questions

• How would you handle new competition in your area , if you already own a pretty successful business but cannot handle the volume ..   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiations

Quality Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Vellore (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

S&P capital IQ visited our college campus in august,2014 for recruitment. For us, we have one online aptitude test having 20 questions from quants. Time allotted is 20 minutes. Then, there is one subjective test of 30 min containing 6 questions related to software engineering, finding errors in UI.
    Finally,one personal interview(technical & HR) is there for selected students. In interview they ask about projects, & how you will improve it. Then they ask about types of testing & ask to write test cases. HR questions were basic and easy. Finally, I was selected for QA.

Interview Questions

• In interview they ask to write test cases for search engines and login page.   1 Answer