S&P Capital IQ

Updated 15 Nov, 2014

3.3

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Database Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

The interview process was quite simple. I applied through my university''s job portal. My resume got shortlisted and I was asked to schedule an interview appointment.
On the day of the interview, there were two tasks, one was a written test and second was the interview.

Both the tasks were given a time on 30 minutes.

The test was easy but lengthy. So make sure you manage the time well.
The interview was mostly based on your SQL skillset. The interviewer gave a scenario and asked to design a database for it. And then the whole interview went around the same database design.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were quite simple. But they expect you to provide with an optimal solution for the problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Capital IQ

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Horrible, Perplexing Interview Process...Not worth it !

Met these people at the career fair and got a call for 1:1 on-campus interview. They also asked me to schedule a 30-min time-slot for my interview via. the college job board. A day before the interview, I got an email saying that the interview will instead be a 1 hour interview, consisting of a 30 min Test followed by a 30 min (discussion + behavioral) interview. Since I had classes all day long, I was the first person to interview at 9:00 a.m (my originally selected time slot).

On the day of the interview, I arrived around 8:50 AM so that I could settle-in quick. But to my horror, I found the guy waiting outside for me. He told that I was actually supposed to come in at 8:30 a.m, contrary to what their email stated.

I showed him the email chain but they told me that they can't do anything about it since they had their tickets booked at 5:30 p.m and would end up missing the train if they rescheduled me. So, basically I was given 5 mins to complete the test and discuss it with the interviewer.

S&P Capital IQ has the same set of questions each year (for Interns as well as full-time). They are a mix of Database and Algorithm questions but they really don't care about the Algorithm ones.

1) Draw an ER diagram for: People, Professionals and Companies ( Look up cracking the Code)

2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.
        - Not Exists/ Exists, Group by, Having, Count(*) functional type of queries

3) Function to check if a number is prime or composite

4) Function that prints out all the prime numbers from 2 - 100.

In reality, they only care about Q2. So, spend all your time on that before doing the rest.

Coming back to my interview, I somehow managed to successfully complete the questions in 5 minutes and then I was asked questions about JOINS, Indexes in the 1:1 interview. Overall, I thought the interview went well and got a positive vibe from it.

Two days later, I got an ambiguous email from the Campus recruiting team saying that they would like to continue the conversation on their Super Day and would get back to me in a few days with the final dates. Since this email didn't look right, I emailed them back asking if it was an invitation for their Super Day to which I got an affirmative reply.

After torturing all the candidates from my college, who got an invite, for more than 6 weeks, I emailed them back asking for confirmation of the Super Day dates, since I had to schedule other interviews, which were going to probably conflict with S&P's self-assumed tentative dates. After a series of ignored emails, I had to seek out an acquaintance within S&P to get the HR to reply to my emails.

AND to my inexplicable surprise, instead of a date, I ended up getting a reject along with everyone from my college, for all the positions. Upon sending her the earlier email chain to the HR, I was ignored and then told that they are pretty busy to handle my case because of their meetings.

At the end of the day, they hesitantly called me and told that they do not have any more openings and the usual HR routine. Total waste of time as they're MS-SQL specific and I ended up wasting a month learning the subtle differences in the DBMS.

Hope this helps !

Interview Questions
    • 2) Three SQL subqueries on a DB diagram about airports, passengers and flights.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

Two rounds of interviews. The first was a 1:1 on campus and involved a written test prior to speaking with the interviewer. The test was 3 questions, two involving database design and a third relating to algorithms. With some basic SQL knowledge, the first two were fairly straightforward. The third was a little more challenging because it was a very specific question and involved some Computer Science knowledge. The interviewer was extremely friendly and very helpful when I didn't know something. I didn't even finish the test, which wasn't a problem.

The second round was on site and had three different groups (2 were 1:1 and the other had 2 interviewers). Same level of difficulty with questions, just more intense. Everyone was very professional and helpful, not as intimidating as I'd expected. Overall, good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find all prime numbers less than or equal to some number n?
      Design a database for a set of airlines, airports, and passengers. (And a few subsequent questions relating to your design)

Answer Question
    Internship, so no negotiation, but salary was very fair.

Database Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2011.

My first interview consisted of a 30 minute written test which included queries to answer.
    There was a C program to write to check if a string is palindrome or not. Be well prepared with joins in case of queries. They also asked to create an ER diagram of a database schema.

Database Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

CIQ came to campus for a career fair and that's where I met the employees and really liked what they had to say. I made sure I talked to them enough so they would remember me. I sent my resume and got notified for a campus interview. The day before, they hosted an information session and I attended that as well, just to speak to the person who would interview me in a more informal setting. When it was time for the interview, I first took a written skills test with some basic questions on database design, a small coding question (they didn't care which language), and some sql queries. Next, I had a 1:1 interview with one of the employees. We went through the test and discussed my answers. The thought process was more emphasized than having the right answers. They don't expect all candidates to be completely versed in db's. I was then asked why I wanted the position etc.
    A few days later, I was told that I had made it to the next round - the super day interview. It was scheduled for 2 weeks later and I was flown to NYC. The S&P building is very impressive. The candidates all gathered in a room and had pizza with the employees - just an informal session to ask any questions. I liked that touch because it was welcoming. The atmosphere seems relaxed and facilitates a collaborative environment. Also, most of the employees are young which probably means there are some great ideas flowing through the office. Next, I had three 1:1 interviews with members of the DB team. I had to show how I would design a certain database on the whiteboard. Each time a new interviewer came in and the other left. a new component was added and I was asked to figure out how to implement it. It was fairly straight forward and I learned a lot of design concepts just during the interviews when the employees corrected my logic or showed me something when I was uncertain. All of them seemed to look for my interest in databases, and an interest in learning more. Each asked if I had questions, so come with questions.
    About two and a half weeks later, I received an email with an offer letter attached!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this position? Why do you want to work for CIQ?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

There was a half hour phone interview which was technical. After being cleared in it, I was invited to the location for a personal interview which consisted of a technical written test which was moderately difficult after which I met with three super smart people who grilled me on the test answers and my technical know how.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I choose certain index design for the tables in the test.   View Answer

Database Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

Presented with a 30-page skills assessment. First exercise was on database design. Second exercise was an algorithm problem using your language of choice. Third exercise was writing out complicated SQL queries.