Ryan, LLC Consultant Interview Questions

Updated 22 Jan, 2015

2.3

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Ryan, LLC.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward and fairly easy.

1) HR screen

They ask a few questions to check experience, coursework (if you dont have a degree in accounting they will verfiy your college hours. You need a combination of housrs in finance and accounting).

Make sure you understand why you want the position or carrer in tax consulting. They will ask.

Also do research, especially MyRyan. HR's crown jewel, definitely bring this up in a positive light during the screening. Almost gurantees a second interview, MyRyan is the cornerstone of Ryan's culture.

2) Meet with managers and Principal

Really easy interview, more of a discussion. Just be honest and be yourself, they are checking for fit. The job itself is not difficult, they want to make sure you fit the team and understand what the job requires.

The meeting witb the Principal is purely for show and really a waste of time. Just dont come across as a complete idiot and you'll be fine.

3) Not sure.

I spoke to HR, mentioned I was negotiating an offer with a different company. She asked what the offer looked like, when i told her she said there was no way Ryan would match that.

I emailed HR with my intent to accept another offer and havent heard back.

All the people I interracted wiTh at Ryan were professional, humble, and friendly. Maybe it varies by team, but I think most would be fortunate to work for a company like this.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Ryan, LLC

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC in June 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by phone to setup a phone interview and also to fill out a personality test. The test was fairly standard and consisted of several questions where I had to rank 10 random situations in the order of best to worst. It then took about one week until I was called in to interview with a Director and a Senior Consultant. It took another week or two to be contacted again and called in to meet with another Director and a Principal, where the Director used the results of my personality tests to ask me questions. All of the questions they asked were mostly behavioral and since this was for an entry level position I think they mostly want to see if you align well with their standards.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any questions truly difficult or unexpected, but be prepared to answer questions about the personality test in a positive light. Since no one is perfect I believe they want to see how you respond to picking out your faults.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC.

Interview

Initial contact to hire date took nearly 3 months! But the interviews were very comfortable and non-threatening - no trick questions or funny business. My interviews questions were primarily about attitude and experience. If you have the appropriate degree for the position and a positive attitude, you can learn/be taught everything Ryan needs you to do get started.

Interview Questions

• My interviews questions were primarily about attitude and experience. If you have the appropriate degree for the position and a positive attitude, you can learn/be taught everything Ryan needs you to do get started.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC.

Interview

I first started with a phone interview with just basic behavioral questions. After that, they proceeded to explain the benefits of Ryan that moved towards an invitation to an office visit. From the office visit, I met with two principals. The interviews were mostly behavioral but were also geared towards seeing how i would fit in their culture as well as testing to see how certain I felt I was the right fit.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time that there was a process that was not working or was inefficient and explain how you dealt with the situation   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC in February 2012.

Interview

On campus interview very easy going. Several structured questions about past experiences followed by 30 min Q&A.

Week later online personality test and IQ test. Filled out a work experience and typical application forms.

2 weeks later called back for friday interview with multiple interviewers. Asked several questions, Q&A sessions, and then lots of fit questions. Mainly seemed like they knew you were qualified and a lot of experience was if you fit in with the company.

The following monday got link to fill out references. Then background check with HireRight. Ryan was great throughout the entire process. HireRight background service is terrible. It moves extremely slow and their customer support was terrible. The background check took the longest. I worked for a law firm doing these searches while in college and it took me 2 hrs to do something that took them 9 business days. Again the background check was AWFUL but was not run by Ryan it was outsourced.

Overall great experience with Ryan so far.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Saint Louis, MO (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me about the position, sent links for the personality and skills test, and followed up with me for the results. She scheduled a date for me to come in for the interview (I interviewed with three different people), and had a job offer within the week. Overall, a very straight-forward process.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ryan, LLC in October 2010.

Interview

On-campus interview and then attend office visit. Interviewed with four people in total.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ryan, LLC in April 2010.

Interview

I had heard of the company through their recruting presence at our campus, just about every career fair they had at least one recruiter there. So naturally when it came time to start applying for jobs applied and got an on-campus interview. It was a one on one interview that consisted of a short personality test and a short ampltitude test that were to be completed the day before the interview. The interview itself was extremley short and very mudane. I can't remember the exact questions but they were very elementary, I don't really understand how they can make cuts with those type of questions. Originally, I thought I did not get an offer because it had been about 2 months since anyone at the firm had contacted me, but just last week I got an email saying that would like for me to do a phone interview so that was werid. I feel like they need to shorten this whole process because if it is this bureaucratic for the interview process, there is not telling what life in the actual firm may be like.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in February 2010.

Interview

The Hiring and Interview Process is a bit complex and can take several months so please have patience, it's worth the wait.

Personality/Skill Test: Ryan uses a customized test to gauge the likelihood of an applicants success within the Firm. No doubt many companies use similar tests. By "customized" I mean that Ryan has collected thousands of these test from employees over the years. With so many on file, Ryan is able to build a model profile of the ideal Ryan employee. The intent is to maximize return on investment by minimizing turn-over and employing individuals who are likely to produce results.

Interviews: Typically the interview process involves 3 conversations. First, with recruiter assigned to the geographic location for the position you are applying or the practice area. The recruiter will typically be the one who also gives the official offer when the time comes. Second, an interview with the team that you will be working with. Often over lunch. This gives the whole team a chance to get to know you and see how you fit within their group dynamic. Third, an interview with the Principal/Partner that your team reports to.

This may be modified slightly if you are introduced to the Firm as a referral. Please feel free to reach out to Ryan employees. Don't be shy about your interest to work for Ryan. But be patient.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not that difficult or unexpected, there were two that I had to think about for a moment:
      1. What position do you think you deserve to start at? Asked during the initial interview with the recruiter.
      2. There's a mall we can eat at or a Cheesecake Factory, what would you prefer? Asked during the Team interview. My first inclination was to say the mall recognizing that they were paying and I didn't want to incur a large bill, but I chose the Cheesecake Factory thinking about the importance of client service and professionalism.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Reasonable. The salary of the first offer was lower than I could accept given student loans and costs of raising a family. I respectfully asked for an additional amount and received it.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ryan, LLC (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter contacting me to set up a phone interview, which lasted about 30 to 45 minutes. She walked through my resume with me and asked me to explain the types of things I did for each organization I was involved in. After that, she asked standard questions such as "why ryan? how did you hear about us? tell me a little bit about yourself." Once that was over, she contacted me a week and a half later to set up an onsite interview. The day of the onsite interview, I took a test similar to the SAT which measured my verbal, math, and behavioral skills. If you do not pass this test, you will not be able to meet with the principal or the manager. Once you pass the test, you will first meet with the manager and then the principal, both are on a one on one basis. They explained the position more thoroughly and asked standard questions like the recruiter asked related to your resume and also things like "what is your biggest weakness? and what do you think was the biggest thing you walked away with from college?" After meeting with them, you then have to name 5 references who will take a survey about you, your skills, and your work habits. Once you enter them into the system, the company will email them the survey to fill out.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to know about Ryan?   1 Answer