Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr, 2015

3.5

Interview

After 5 stages, finally went to the final SRD. The first is online application, then two online tests (situation judgmental and math), then a face to face interview, and then SRD.

Intern Interview

Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Calgary, AB) in November 2012.

Interview

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions

• The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Calgary, AB) in October 2010.

Interview

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions

• The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   1 Answer

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position through Shell online career page and I did an online assessment test. About a month later I received an invitation to do a face to face interview. It was a one to one interview session. The flow of interview was explain clearly by the interviewer. The interviewer asked a series of prepared questions to test your skill sets in different area. The whole process took about 1 and a half hour.

Interview Questions

• Talk about one of your best achievement so far.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever came across situations where you have to adapt your communication style to achieve certain goals? Give examples of the situations and the outcome.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Submit CV, complete online application, receive emails to take online assessments. Completed both assessments, currently waiting for reply. Most questions were easy to tackle except the mathematical part. Stay calm and calculate, does not have to complete all 16 questions in 18 minutes.

Graduate Interview

Interview

It was a face to face interview in shell office. You will be placed in a room with interviewer. It was a grueling 45 minutes interview session. Many probing questions and you have to be well prepared. The interviewer will ask questions based on CAR criteria.

IT Grad Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Just had my 2nd round in the application process for IT graduate. 1st round was online application with CV and motivation letter, and later some online tests. I am not sure if the letter and CV is actually reviewed. Maybe they will use it at a later stage but it did not come up at the interview. Interview itself was rather stressful, difficult questions about past experience. Little to know feedback and many interruptions during the interview, not feeling too sure about passing this round. Person you have the interview with does not make the decision, answers are put into some kind of matrix and is then reviewed by someone else. Now wait for two weeks.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview

Telecon as first screening stage to check on candidate ability to articulate and technical competence.

If passed, a full blown 3-stages interview will take place.
    1. Leadership Potential Assessment
    2. Professional Presentation
    3. Structured Interview

It was my toughest interview sessions I need to go through to secure a job.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell (Chennai (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview is based on behavioral questions. Interviewer is friendly, He first introduced himself and asked me to tell about myself. He told me that he will be noting some points while i am answering the questions and let that not distract me or offend me as he won't be looking at me much time. He asked me questions like tell me an instant where you did this, that... And he asked two to three follow up questions based on what i have told. Questions are aimed at seeing how well i fit for their CAR (Capacity, Achievement, Relationship) criteria. And in the end he asked me if i have any questions for him.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an instance where you have to make yourself more disciplined in order to achieve a goal?   Answer Question