Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
221 interviews

3.5

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rotterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

First step of the interview process:
    Online personality test + math test + skills test

personality test: Keep in mind the CAR-criteria of Shell, and the competencies that go along with it. Other than that, do try to be as honest as possible. So, do not give a score of '5' to all the competencies that are considered good, since it will come over as unbelievable, and you will without a doubt fail the test.

Math test: questions are not too hard, (basically just reading graphs and calculating with percentages) but the time-limit makes it quite a challenge. Make sure you have a good calculator which you fully understand in order to save time. I myself did not really prepare for the test, since I already have a background where I had to use quite a lot of math, but I guess you can find enough material online to prepare, if you want to.

Skills test: In this test you're presented with some generic business problems of Shell, in the fields of engineering, sales, marketing. For each problem you are presented with five solutions to these problems, and you have to rate how effective these will be in solving the problems. Finally you also have to rate which of these solutions will be the most effective or most ineffective. Basically you should really just use your common sense here, and keep in mind the CAR-criteria.

Second step of the interview process: Phone-interview.

Was called by an engineer of Shell. Very friendly person, but did ask tough questions. Took about an hour and 10 minutes. Interview had three steps:

1. Competencies according to the STAR method.

This is, in my opinion, the tough part of the interview. You'll get about 8 questions regarding competencies, and the idea is you have to provide them with an example where you show that you have this competency. Examples: "Name a situation where you were influenced by the ideas of other people"."Name a situation where you had to overcome an obstacle in order to achieve your goal".
    As preparation I had written down about 15 situations out of my life (academic, personal, work.. ) where certain qualities would come to light, such as leadership, overcoming obstacles, etc. (check CAR-criteria). Keep in mind, however well you prepare, they will always catch you off-guard once or twice with a tough question. Anyway, just be yourself, be honest, and just try to stay focused and calm during the interview, and you should be fine (Think about it: They appreciate people who can stay calm and focused even when being confronted with a tough question, so stick to that).

2. Why do you want to join Shell/energy industry.

Quite easy part of the interview, just show that you're eager and interested. Try to name a situation where you were 'inspired' and thus wanted to join Shell/the energy industry. I myself just used a conversation I had with a former employee of shell.

3. Questions?

Important to prepare at least 3 questions for the interview. Obviously, don't ask about working hours, salary, etc, (common sense really).

Finally, some quick tips that always help during these interviews:

The interviewer will explain the interview process in beginning. Summarize what the interviewer said, and ask if you understood correctly. This is an easy way to show that you're able to listen well and want to be thorough, and makes for a good start of the interview.

If you're in doubt about a question, just ask for some time to think about it, it won't be a problem. It helps you to stay relaxed, and often enough you will be able to find a good answer.

I can't stress it enough: Stay calm and focus, even if you do not directly know the answer to a competency question. If you don't have a good answer, so be it, somehow talk your way out of it, as long as you stay calm. If you become stressed by a 'hard' question, the interviewer will just assume you will also become stressed whenever an unexpected hard situation occurs during your work at Shell, and it will be seen as a negative quality.

Prepare some questions you have for the interviewer: They are always happy to answer your questions if possible, and it also shows you're really interested and assertive. Good standard question: "What has been the most challenging for you to learn while working at the company?"

About a week after the phone interview I got a call from HR confirming that I passed, and that I would be taken on for an assessed internship.

Oh yes and finally, they of course also check your CV and cover letter. I unfortunately do not really know in what stage of the interview process they check it. Anyway, about CV: Keep in mind HR looks about a 100 CV's a week, so make sure it is very clear and concise, and only include relevant stuff. Cover letter: Try to be original, use past personal experiences which helped you make the decision to apply for shell. If you make it personal, it will automatically be pretty original, which is key here.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time you had to make a timely decision   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

A total of three round before giving out the internship offer. The first one is CV selection, one week later came the online tests (first cognitive test, and then numerical test if you passed the first one). Then another week later I got invitation of a face-to-face interview in the Headquarter in the Hague. From submission to interview it took 1 month. Got offer after one month.

Interview Questions
    • Could you describe a situation where you need to listen to others?   Answer Question

Commercial Graduate Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2014.

Telephone interview - simple divided into three sections, Capacity, Achievements and Relationships. No questions about my motivation for choices i've made in the past. Just three times 15min that i needed to fill with examples to show CAR

Interview Questions
    • Many questions are only slightly different, have for each part at least 5 or 6 different examples.   Answer Question

Maintenance Planer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

Initial contact made through LinkedIn and time between contact and phone interview was quite fast. Although there were a few changes between recruitment representatives throughout the process, I was continually updated with the progress of my application and all representatives were friendly and helpful.

Interview was with a Shell HR team member and Line Manager and was a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The questions were quite standard and focused on general maintenance processes and business practices. Just be confident about your experience and know the position description and role really well. Spend quite a bit of time preparing some answers to potential questions and also DEFINITELY have at least one question ready to ask them as it shows you are interested in the company and have been taking in what they are explaining to you.

Complete process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Having to explain the exact thought process that occurred when I was faced with a difficult project or task in my previous experience. Breaking it down and justifying the decisions made was difficult as they wanted really detailed answers.   Answer Question
    I was new to the O&G industry so I was reluctant to negotiate

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Employee in The Hague (Netherlands)

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2014.

The hiring process for recent graduates is very simple and clear. After submission of your CV and application online, there is a numerical and personality assessment, following which you can be called for an interview. after a successful interview you are invited for the Shell recruitment day.
    The assessments in my opinion were rather long but clear to understand. The response time after the assessment is also very quick (within a couple of days). The next round- the interview, is also streamlined very nicely although it is a bit repetitive. It lasts for about an hour and includes questions on your past achievements and relationships with your co workers. The final round is

Interview Questions
    • I found the questions to be revolving around the same theme. Although they were not difficult, I had to put in some real effort to not give the same answers for an hour.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Last week I passed the first 2 stages, I had the phone interview yesterday and I am waiting for the response. The interview is exactly how described by the other posts. Same dynamics, same questions. Try to be sinthetic. They do not care about the type of experience you are telling them. They just want to see if you are clear in explaining your experience. I suggest to prepare some notes in advance ( the questions are ALWAYS the same). Not too much detailed, just bullet points in order to be more flexible

Shell Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cape Town (South Africa)
    Anonymous Employee in Cape Town (South Africa)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2014.

The interview started off with the usual online application.After submitting CV and cover letter i then got invited to do the online tests which are about ranking certain situations in the workplace from the best response to the worst response.After 2 months from my initial application i got a notification about a phone interview. I was phoned by a woman from Shell HQ in The Hague,behavioural interview with some questions about the company at the end.The telephone lasted for over an hour.Most of the Shell interview processes are readily available online but i was still caught off guard by some of her HR questions.Know your story inside out and be prepared to state your achievements as if you did them alone. Sadly i got a rejection email 2 days after my interview. Goodluck to everyone :)

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to convince people to choose your idea.   Answer Question

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!