Royal Dutch Shell

Updated 30 Jan, 2015
Updated 30 Jan, 2015

3.5

Shell Recruitment Day Interview

After 5 stages, finally went to the final SRD. The first is online application, then two online tests (situation judgmental and math), then a face to face interview, and then SRD.

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answers (2)

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Expatriate Transfer Advison - Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I applied online and received a Phone interview (about 30 min) 1 week later .
    Than, i received a face to face interview invitations 1 day later after phone interview.
    The face to face interview are scheduled 2 weeks later from the call of invitation.

Great experiences on the interviews.
    The outcome usually come 1 day after the interviews (very quick)

Interview Questions
    • * Tell me something about your self.
         * What did you most enjoy on your current job
         * Tell me about a time when you feel under pressure? how did you overcome it ?
         * What have you done to know more about shell ?
         * What is the most difficult decision you have made in life?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

3 Online Exams, Interview with Line Manager, then Offer. No unexpected questions. Interview was only 1 hour long. Since it was an internship, a lot of the questions involved the relation of my college course to the internship program that I was taking.

Process Engineer Interview

Very hectic .Resume shortlisting , two psychometric rounds were conducted, one analytical round ,followed by telephonic interview, group discussion, self reflectory interview, HR interview.Impossible to predict what the recruiters are looking for.

SRD: Graduate Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I was being interviewed for a fresh graduate entry position post my PhD. The whole experience was fun and I was decently confident about the experience but they did not provide any reasons for not selecting in the end, which was a bit inappropriate.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult session was the e-tray exercise majorly because of the time restriction   Answer Question

AssessedSingapore Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2015.

The hiring process comprises a series of online assessments followed by a face-to-face interview at Shell's office. The interview is very structured, with the interviewer asking questions and writing down your answers, using a recruitment form with a question on each page. This internship interview only sought to assess the Achievement and Relationships components of the CAR framework they have. I think it would be very beneficial for you to practise answering questions using the STAR approach, as if your answer does not cover everything they seek to ask in the form, they will ask you more follow-up questions which would kind of indicate that your response was insufficient.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Shell, given your interest in the energy industry?   Answer Question

GRADUATE POSITION Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Apply online, then you go through a series of competency and skills based ( numerical) online tests. Next comes the phone interview stage. Finally if you succeed at this stage, you get called for the SRD which is the final stage in the recruitment process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you allowed other people's decision to influence yours. What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them   Answer Question