Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep, 2014
Updated 26 Sep, 2014

3.5

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

2 online rounds, followed by resume shortlisting. If successful in resume shortlisting, called for interview. Interview may be telephonic or face-to-face. If successful in interview, called for the Shell Recruitment Day(SRD). The SRD comprises of various rounds like an e-tray exercise, a group discussion. This is followed by a self reflection interview. This is followed by a case study round and finally a competency based interview. This interview is similar to the previous interview taken.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an example where you had to work with someone to achieve a common goal?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

I was brought on by a temp agency. It was a very smooth interview process that was surprisingly quick and easy. I got to meet with the team I would potentially be working with. They were both very relatable, somewhat informal. For a place like Shell I was surprised by the way the interview worked, but I liked it that way because they made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't given a typical interview with the same run-of-the-mill interview questions. It was more or less something for us to both get to know each other and see if my personality was a good fit.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

After a first CV check, you are directly invited to finish a questionnaire on behaviours and a numerical test. Being successful at that, you are invited for a phone interview. After that you might be invited for a Shell Recruitment Day. During this day you will have to do an e-tray assignment, a group discussion, a case interview and a personal interview. Within three working days you will receive an offer or you will get rejected.

Interview Questions
    • For the case interview, think of multiple solution. After presenting your first best solution, you are expected to come up with alternative solutions.   Answer Question

Warehouse Lead Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

One of the best interview & hiring processes I've ever experienced.

It starts of with a phone interview by recruiter, all the usual questions were raised. Second and final stage was the face-to-face interview.

The most striking difference was my application profile has already been populated and the interview began as soon as I arrived. Panel interviews with 2 that performs the technical assessment and 1 HR (in the middle) that fires the questions. Focus heavily on situational questions, assessment appears to be based on how you respond to different situations instead of how impressive your answers are.

Interview Questions
    • You are the CEO of the company, and your product are used internationally by celebrities and leading figures. A suspected fault in your product happened upon a celebrity, how will you respond?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Phone Interview with a local HR personnel.
    The process is pretty fast after the few online assessments which is automatically sent out.
    Interview questions are actually predictable if prepared well before hand.

After the phone interview will be the SRD.

Business Analyst Interview

Started with browsing job role, functions, responsibility and requirement via online job board, then apply through its online application system, followed by an in-person interview which finally decided the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you pick us instead of other oil and gas companies?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Online assessments were there. after completing them, i was invited for a telephonic interview and then i was invited for SRD. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!