Royal Dutch Shell

Updated 16 Nov, 2014
Updated 16 Nov, 2014

3.5

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The online assessment was for a very limited time. So you need to be focused and in a quiet environment. The call lasted 1 and half hour and it went well. It would be better if you get prepared. The women on line was very friendly. Now I'll see how SRD goes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you have to solve conflict   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Online application of usual questions and paragraphs on previous experience, relevant work experience and references. Followed by a behavioral test where scenarios are portrayed and you have to pick the option you are A most likely to do and B the worst option. These ranged from common sense to more difficult company value aimed questions. Following this round you are invited to complete a maths test. This is a timed test of 16 questions in 20 minutes. Although multiple choice it was tough and very difficult to get though all of the questions in the allotted time.

Interview Questions
    • The maths test was difficult due to the short amount of time to read the information and the multiple choice options. Percentage loss and increase were important themes.   Answer Question

Technical Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangkok (Thailand)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2014.

Application process has so many steps, it starts with three online tests that were not too difficult. If passed, Face-to-face interview will be the next step where you have to interview with Senior HR, the interview was in structured questions. After that, if passed, you will be invited to SRD which is the most difficult stage that you have to attend assessment centre and complete all tasks such as online test, group discussion, case study and final interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no significance difficult questions since all tasks are designed to be difficult. It depends on your expertise and skill so if you are good at reading and presentation, you may perform well in case study. Personally, it think the most difficult task was e-tray exercise which you have to compete with a very limited time and tonnes of information and tasks.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2014.

First step is send your CV online. If you are suitable for the position, you will get email for online assesment. Then Phone Interview if you pass the onine assesment.

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2014.

The recruitment process for the Shell Graduate Programme is very well detailed on their website and explained in depth when you're invited. My experience is as follows.

Step 1. Online application
    A simple CV upload and generic questionnaire (applicant's background, involvement in conflict of interests, etc.) is all you have to here.

Step 2. Online assessment
    When the online application is approved, an online assessment has to be made, consisting of
    * competency-based questions (personality, not timed)
    * decision-making (scenarios, not timed) and problem-solving task (math/graphs, timed)

What's important in the first part is to be realistic and honest. Out of the 5 possible responses to the presented situations, there is one that seems the most appropriate. However, what would YOU do and which response reflects your personality best? The second assessment does require to pick the best response to the posed scenario. The math tasks are not difficult for engineering students. If you don't make it within time, don't worry, you can still pass the assessment as a whole.

Step 3. CAR-based interview
    Capacity, Achievements, Relations. Each of these topics will be covered in a strictly organized interview. A Shell employee will conduct the interview using questions he reads from a paper. Your answer will be written down and not discussed. Prepare by thinking of situations in which you made a difference: convincing others of your view, respecting other's opinions, your personal goals, situations in which you had to practice discipline to achieve a goal, or in which you had to change your communication style. They use the STAR method: Situation, Task, Action, Result: name a situation, what did you want to achieve, how did you do it and what was the outcome?

Step 4. Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)
    When successful in step 3, you'll be invited to a SRD. It consists of two days, the first of which is not assessed and purely for preparation purposes and the second which consists of five assessments. Realize that the 5-6 fellow candidates are not your competitors. All can be successful or not.
    * Etray exercise
    In this timed task you have to answer emails by choosing the appropriate multiple-choice reply. You might need to calculate sometimes. You'll receive an information package the day before to get acquainted with the scenario.
    * Group task
    While about 8 assessors (Shell employees) sit around the room, you have to finish a timed task with your fellow candidates. You'll be judged on how you work together and, very importantly, how you make sure the group's goal is reached instead of you own interests.
    * Self-reflection interview
    This part is quite relaxed. Two of the assessors will interview you about how you tackled issues in the Etray and group tasks. Did you change strategy and how did you think you performed during the group discussion? This will e.g. measure your awareness of group dynamics. The employees are friendly, no worries about harsh interviewing style.
    * Case study
    In this timed tasks, you'll have to read an information package and make a decision between two or three engineering solutions (e.g. which drilling technique or pipeline route is best). Afterwards, you need to present and justify your decision towards two assessors. They will check your decision making by asking question for 30 minutes. It's not about the right solution per se, but on your rationale.
    * CAR-interview
    Very similar to the Step 3 interview. However, this one is a little more detailed and requires more specific examples about your capacity, achievements and relations. Also precise personal goals are valued.

Step 5. Offer, if successful in step 4.
    I got a phone call two days later and was informed about the most likely offer they're gonna make.

Final notes:
    - The atmosphere is quite relaxed. The SRD is so well-organized that you don't have to worry about what you can or can't expect during the exercises. The assessors (Shell employees) are friendly and quite approachable during the non-assessed times of the SRD. They're more than willing to explain what it's like to work there and what the opportunities are.
    - The non-assessed SRD day (1st) ends with a dinner in your hotel with two graduates currently enrolled in the Shell Graduate Program. Ask them for tips and tricks in preparation for the following day. They are more than willing to help you and can give a good view of how it is two work for Shell.
    - Be yourself, relax and honest.
    - You'll receive feedback on your SRD performance regardless if successful or not. Very helpful for personal development.
    - Travel costs will be reimbursed (distance dependent). Plane ticket paid if you have to fly. Stay in hotel with breakfast and dinner is covered.

Interview Questions
    I'm waiting for the offer specifics.

Process Engineer Interview

1) Psychometric Test - Test your mental stabililty
    2) Aptitude Test - Basic graphs and data interpretation questions
    3) Telephonic Interview - They focus on the use of 'I' rather than 'We' and ask questions on the CART structure. Be genuine here and only use real life experiences. Don't fabricate your own stories.
    4) SRD Interview

Facilities Engineer Interview

Did the Online Test

Was invited for a telephone interview

And finally the SRD

SRD was a day long event, very stressful and challenging, ended with a panel interview, had e-tray exercises and group discussions. Candidates were assessed on every activity.