Royal Dutch Shell

Interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell

Interview Details Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Interview Details Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Question – The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

Interview Details There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Question – The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2014.

Interview Details First I submitted my application through shell website. In the Next day, I was invited for the Online Assesment. The First online assesment is just simple Personal Test. Tips to pass this assessment is to humble and show the teamwork spirit.

After i Passed the 1st online assesment, I was invited to do the 2nd online assessment. The second online assesment is to value how can u solve the problem in some situation that u might faced in your future career life. After that is the problem solving part where it is simple math with restricted time.

I passed my second online assessment and was invited to have an interview in future. So Far still waiting the coordinator to arrange interview schedule with me

Interview Question – The Problem Solving Is just Simple Math, But the time is really short. Average 1 min for 1 Question   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details Firstly there will be an online assessment which consists of maths and also problem solving skills. If you pass this stage, you'll be selected for a phone interview session. This interview will be divided into 3 sections: how well you work in a team, why do you choose the field you're applying into and finally a Q&A sessions with the interviewer.

Interview Question – How do you handle miscommunication when working in a team   Answer Question

Assessed Interview

Assessed
The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online. Round one: personality test. Round two: decision-making test + numerical test (16 questions in 18 minutes). If round two is successfully completed, you will be invited to a 1h15min interview, which is purely behavioral and takes its point of departure in 'tell me of a time when you had to...' examples. Prepare your CV according to the CAR criteria (Shell website) and answer all behavioral questions according to the STAR model. Successful candidates will be contacted by HR, up to one month after the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you had to work with someone else to achieve a common goal.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Shell hires people according to personal fit rather than for specific positions and thus have to find you a job once successfully interviewed. Communication with HR can be very slow, and having been accepted, I had to start applying for other jobs when they still hadn't found me a position after two months.

Summer Interview

Summer
The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Interview Details Submitted an online application and got an invitation to do an online assessment, which consisted of 2 parts: (1) competency-based and (2) decision-making and a problem-solving. You have to complete the first one successfully in order to be invited to do the second. I got an email saying I passed and an interview date is to be scheduled.
After almost two months, I finally got a date and had a face-to-face interview with a manager.

Interview Question – Questions were typical competence-based questions: example of teamwork, example of leadership, etc. He took notes on practically everything I said and rarely made any eye contact. He said that the HRs would take the decision based on his notes, which I found strange and a bit rude. Overall, the interview was not bad, but I've had much more pleasant ones. Make sure to have plenty of examples, even 3-4 for the same competence.   Answer Question

Process Data Engineer Interview

Process Data Engineer
Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in July 2010.

Interview Details Telephonic Interview followed by a Technical Interview with the Manager in Shell Office and finally an Interview with the HR to discuss salary. Later a letter is sent making the job offer which could possibly be further negotiated.

Interview Question – What sort of growth are you expecting   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

Graduate Trainee
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in May 2014.

Interview Details First stage is completing two rounds of online tests: personality test and cognitive tests. Tests were now difficult. If you succeed, you are invited for an interview. Interviewer assesses you based on CAR criteria. I did not have questions about the company (more why do you choose oil industry, why Shell) and did not have topic to discuss about.

Interview Question – Describe the time when you had to be disciplined   Answer Question

Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details I applied in april 2013 and got through to the whole process until I passed the last interview before the SRD. Unfortunately , they had filled all the vacancies before I was called to the SRD. They told me they would call me if any new opportunities appeared.

They called me this week to participate in the SRD. I wasn't expecting at all. It took one year for them to call me again.

Interview Question – up to now, the interviews were quite easy, with the interviewer doing their best to make you feel confident.   Answer Question

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!