Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.5

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in September 2012.

1. Online Application - CV & Cover Letter (optional but worth including to show you really want it)
    2. Online tests - numerical and situational (typical online test system)
    3. Telephone Interview (CAR format with a case study)

Interview Questions
    • Did not realise the Capacity aspect was a case study, so definitely a reason to be active on here to do your research before hand.   Answer Question

Interview Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in August 2013.

My first telephone interview ever. Was very tough. Two people were carrying out the interview. One was asking the question and the other one making notes. Around 1- 1.5 hour. They test you on the CAR framework and then asked you to discuss a topic. Then discuss about your job preference.

Assessed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2012.

After a set of web forms (CV, experience, about yourself, ambition, goals), an interview by phone was held. There several types of questions were asked by a Shell employee (not per se your local office). The questions varied from:
    - your experience. Several types of situations (problem solving, conflicts, leadership) were suggested and your experience and your role in those situations were asked
    - also, an imaginary case was introduced and your creativity and approach were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are the leader of a company, what would you do if the company suffers from losses in profit   Answer Question

The possible hiring date and internship end date differed more than a year.

Warehouse Lead Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

One of the best interview & hiring processes I've ever experienced.

It starts of with a phone interview by recruiter, all the usual questions were raised. Second and final stage was the face-to-face interview.

The most striking difference was my application profile has already been populated and the interview began as soon as I arrived. Panel interviews with 2 that performs the technical assessment and 1 HR (in the middle) that fires the questions. Focus heavily on situational questions, assessment appears to be based on how you respond to different situations instead of how impressive your answers are.

Interview Questions
    • You are the CEO of the company, and your product are used internationally by celebrities and leading figures. A suspected fault in your product happened upon a celebrity, how will you respond?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Phone Interview with a local HR personnel.
    The process is pretty fast after the few online assessments which is automatically sent out.
    Interview questions are actually predictable if prepared well before hand.

After the phone interview will be the SRD.

MBA Graduate_Rotation Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2014.

The interview is focus on the behavior questions. They also asked for the reason you apply for and what is your career path in the following five years. What element is your past work relevant to this program?

Business Analyst Interview

Started with browsing job role, functions, responsibility and requirement via online job board, then apply through its online application system, followed by an in-person interview which finally decided the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you pick us instead of other oil and gas companies?   Answer Question

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!