Royal Dutch Shell

Updated 15 Dec, 2014
Updated 15 Dec, 2014

3.5

Shell Recruitment Day Interview

After 5 stages, finally went to the final SRD. The first is online application, then two online tests (situation judgmental and math), then a face to face interview, and then SRD.

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answers (2)

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Shell CS PhD Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Stages:
    1. Online test: aptitude, personality questions
    2. Telephonic Interview: personality questions
    3. Typical Shell Recruitment Day: Etray test, Self reflection interview, case study, group discussion

As I applied for a technical role. They focus mainly on the personality side throughout the process. All in all SRD proved to be a long day of scrutiny of one's personality. Although long but enjoyable as you would end up having healthy interaction with fellow SRD candidates and making new friends.

Interview Questions
    • Different Life examples. "A situation where you worked in group and faced conflict"   Answer Question

File Clerk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The interview process was fairly easy, the expectations were not unreasonable. I was able to get an interview right away with no delay. The hiring person was clear on expectations and the people were easy to work with.

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

The online assessment was for a very limited time. So you need to be focused and in a quiet environment. The call lasted 1 and half hour and it went well. It would be better if you get prepared. The women on line was very friendly. Now I'll see how SRD goes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you have to solve conflict   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2014.

The recruitment process for the Shell Graduate Programme is very well detailed on their website and explained in depth when you're invited. My experience is as follows.

Step 1. Online application
    A simple CV upload and generic questionnaire (applicant's background, involvement in conflict of interests, etc.) is all you have to here.

Step 2. Online assessment
    When the online application is approved, an online assessment has to be made, consisting of
    * competency-based questions (personality, not timed)
    * decision-making (scenarios, not timed) and problem-solving task (math/graphs, timed)

What's important in the first part is to be realistic and honest. Out of the 5 possible responses to the presented situations, there is one that seems the most appropriate. However, what would YOU do and which response reflects your personality best? The second assessment does require to pick the best response to the posed scenario. The math tasks are not difficult for engineering students. If you don't make it within time, don't worry, you can still pass the assessment as a whole.

Step 3. CAR-based interview
    Capacity, Achievements, Relations. Each of these topics will be covered in a strictly organized interview. A Shell employee will conduct the interview using questions he reads from a paper. Your answer will be written down and not discussed. Prepare by thinking of situations in which you made a difference: convincing others of your view, respecting other's opinions, your personal goals, situations in which you had to practice discipline to achieve a goal, or in which you had to change your communication style. They use the STAR method: Situation, Task, Action, Result: name a situation, what did you want to achieve, how did you do it and what was the outcome?

Step 4. Shell Recruitment Day (SRD)
    When successful in step 3, you'll be invited to a SRD. It consists of two days, the first of which is not assessed and purely for preparation purposes and the second which consists of five assessments. Realize that the 5-6 fellow candidates are not your competitors. All can be successful or not.
    * Etray exercise
    In this timed task you have to answer emails by choosing the appropriate multiple-choice reply. You might need to calculate sometimes. You'll receive an information package the day before to get acquainted with the scenario.
    * Group task
    While about 8 assessors (Shell employees) sit around the room, you have to finish a timed task with your fellow candidates. You'll be judged on how you work together and, very importantly, how you make sure the group's goal is reached instead of you own interests.
    * Self-reflection interview
    This part is quite relaxed. Two of the assessors will interview you about how you tackled issues in the Etray and group tasks. Did you change strategy and how did you think you performed during the group discussion? This will e.g. measure your awareness of group dynamics. The employees are friendly, no worries about harsh interviewing style.
    * Case study
    In this timed tasks, you'll have to read an information package and make a decision between two or three engineering solutions (e.g. which drilling technique or pipeline route is best). Afterwards, you need to present and justify your decision towards two assessors. They will check your decision making by asking question for 30 minutes. It's not about the right solution per se, but on your rationale.
    * CAR-interview
    Very similar to the Step 3 interview. However, this one is a little more detailed and requires more specific examples about your capacity, achievements and relations. Also precise personal goals are valued.

Step 5. Offer, if successful in step 4.
    I got a phone call two days later and was informed about the most likely offer they're gonna make.

Final notes:
    - The atmosphere is quite relaxed. The SRD is so well-organized that you don't have to worry about what you can or can't expect during the exercises. The assessors (Shell employees) are friendly and quite approachable during the non-assessed times of the SRD. They're more than willing to explain what it's like to work there and what the opportunities are.
    - The non-assessed SRD day (1st) ends with a dinner in your hotel with two graduates currently enrolled in the Shell Graduate Program. Ask them for tips and tricks in preparation for the following day. They are more than willing to help you and can give a good view of how it is two work for Shell.
    - Be yourself, relax and honest.
    - You'll receive feedback on your SRD performance regardless if successful or not. Very helpful for personal development.
    - Travel costs will be reimbursed (distance dependent). Plane ticket paid if you have to fly. Stay in hotel with breakfast and dinner is covered.

Interview Questions
    I'm waiting for the offer specifics.

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Online application of usual questions and paragraphs on previous experience, relevant work experience and references. Followed by a behavioral test where scenarios are portrayed and you have to pick the option you are A most likely to do and B the worst option. These ranged from common sense to more difficult company value aimed questions. Following this round you are invited to complete a maths test. This is a timed test of 16 questions in 20 minutes. Although multiple choice it was tough and very difficult to get though all of the questions in the allotted time.

Interview Questions
    • The maths test was difficult due to the short amount of time to read the information and the multiple choice options. Percentage loss and increase were important themes.   Answer Question

Shell Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2014.

An online application with some preliminary questions followed by two online tests is the starting point for the application to the Shell Graduate Programme. The first online test gives you various scenarios you may face in Shell and tests your decision making in these situations. Following the completion of this test, you will get an email with an hour or two on whether you have been successful after which you will be required to complete another standard numerical test online.

Upon successful passing of these two tests, you may get an email within a week or two for scheduling a first round of interview which could be either face-to-face or through telephone. In this interview, you are asked examples of various behavioral situations you have faced and how you tackled them, based on the CAR criteria of Shell. Be sure to only talk about what you did and avoid too many details regarding the situation. You might also want to give different examples for each question to show your breadth of experiences.

If successful further, you will be emailed and invited to the Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) along with a maximum of 5 other candidates. There is also a Pre-SRD briefing before the actual SRD to help you familiarize with all the tasks and get introduced to the coordinators and other candidates. The SRD would be a long day filled with different kinds of exercises. The first is an E-tray exercise for which you might be given a practice link before-hand (time is the biggest constraint here and you need to be really quick in looking through various documents and understanding them). This is followed by a group discussion and self-reflection interview to judge your ability to work in a group and your level of self-awareness respectively. The next and most crucial part of the interview is the case-study analysis. You will be given about 8-10 page case with different info and a question - you would have to prepare a presentation of about 5 mins with your recommendation in a very short time of only 20 minutes. Be sure to think through your recommendation as you will be questioned deeply on how you would defend your recommendation in various scenarios. Try to come up with different and more comprehensive answers to the different probing questions that you may be asked instead of repeating your basic logic (this is what I did unfortunately due to lack of time). The Q&A session will last about 30-40 minutes! Finally, there is another round of final interview with the assessors at SRD which would again include different behavioral and other general questions regarding your motivation, etc. Overall, the SRD is a very thorough, challenging but enriching experience. Though I didn't get through the SRD finally, I think I still gained a lot from my experiences on that day itself.

Interview Questions
    • The case study and the E-tray exercise are usually the hardest parts of the entire process owing to lack of sufficient time for both.   Answer Question