Royal Dutch Shell

Updated 26 Feb, 2015
Updated 26 Feb, 2015

3.5

Shell Recruitment Day Interview

After 5 stages, finally went to the final SRD. The first is online application, then two online tests (situation judgmental and math), then a face to face interview, and then SRD.

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answers (2)

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Numbered Job Grade Mid-High Management * Confidential Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Telecon as first screening stage to check on candidate ability to articulate and technical competence.

If passed, a full blown 3-stages interview will take place.
    1. Leadership Potential Assessment
    2. Professional Presentation
    3. Structured Interview

It was my toughest interview sessions I need to go through to secure a job.

Graduate Engineer Interview

I submitted the application online and shortly after the submission, I received the email to do the online test. The test mainly consists of two parts: decision making and numerical test. One week later I was invited to the interview. Very standardized behavior questions, such as:
        Give me an example when you need to exercise discipline to achieve a goal.
        Give me an example when you need to work together with foreigners in a group.
        Give me an example when you find very stressed and how do you deal with the pressure.
        etc.
    Plus, some motivation questions, like why oil and gas industry, why shell, why this role (I applied for engineer role) were covered as well. Waiting for the update now...

Interview Questions
    • I would say that the questions themselves are quite typical and standardized. But to give good examples to illustrate is nothing easy. So be prepared.   Answer Question

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cyberjaya (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2015.

I applied online. A week later I got a received a phone interview. The phone interview was quite short. Some of the questions asked were, "Was there a time you experience conflict and how did you handle it?" and "Describe a situation where you displayed a leadership role." On the very same day after I completed the phone interview, I was sent an invitation to Shell Recruitment Day.

During the recruitment day, I was asked to complete several written assessments including an English test and a scenario question. We were supposed to give a five minute presentation on the scenario question but did not due to the lack of time as there were so many candidates. After completing the assessments, I was called for a two-panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • I am a fresh graduate, so the questions that were asked were in regards of my extracurricular activities and coursework. I am not sure is it because the job position I applied for was regarding HR but most of the questions were about how I handled conflict with other people, how I handled stress and how I juggled my time to multitask several assignments at the same time.

There were quite a number of follow up questions as they seemed to want to know all the details when I gave my answers. The questions were not difficult though as I just had to relay to them what I did in university and how I handled any stress, conflict and assignments. They also asked me how I gathered and interpreted data when conducting research for assignments.

Answer Question
    The salary package is already fixed so there was no negotiation.

Assessed Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2015.

Applied online, completed online assessments (standard stuff). And then telephone interview as last stage. I found that the interviewer was just following a script. I would explain in detail my example (STAR Method) and then he would ask a question that I pretty well covered, so I ended up repeating myself a lot.

Interview Questions
    • Why the energy sector? Why shell? A time when you were driven to get something finished?   Answer Question

Expatriate Transfer Advison - Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I applied online and received a Phone interview (about 30 min) 1 week later .
    Than, i received a face to face interview invitations 1 day later after phone interview.
    The face to face interview are scheduled 2 weeks later from the call of invitation.

Great experiences on the interviews.
    The outcome usually come 1 day after the interviews (very quick)

Interview Questions
    • * Tell me something about your self.
         * What did you most enjoy on your current job
         * Tell me about a time when you feel under pressure? how did you overcome it ?
         * What have you done to know more about shell ?
         * What is the most difficult decision you have made in life?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

3 Online Exams, Interview with Line Manager, then Offer. No unexpected questions. Interview was only 1 hour long. Since it was an internship, a lot of the questions involved the relation of my college course to the internship program that I was taking.