Royal Dutch Shell

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Interview Details Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Question – The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Calgary, AB

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

Interview Details There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Question – The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Graduate Program/Shell Recruitment Day/Cairo, Egypt Interview

Cairo (Egypt)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details The assessments were similar to what others mentioned like:
-Etray (It doesn't matter you answer all the emails, what matters is to answer as quickly and precisely as you can because the time is really so tight)
-Group Exercise ( engage, brainstorm, speak up, get involved)
-Self-reflection Interview (about your performance in the previous exercises)
-Case Study (analyse information in a very tight time)
-Competency Based Interview ( same to phone interview)

Interview Question – The case study is the most difficult part   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details Very friendly, first half was why I wanted to Join Shell. Second half was about competencies

Interview Question – Asked whether I applied to any other internships   Answer Question

Intern Finance Interview

The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in March 2014.

Interview Details First you are required to complete three online tests, a personality test, a reasoning test and a numerical tests. After successfully completing these tests, I was invited to a face to face interview at the main office. This interview was mostly about personal experiences and focused on the values Shell strives for (see website for more info).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you implemented something new in a work situation to improve efficiency.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in June 2013.

Interview Details Long hiring process which included:
1. Preliminary phone call with HR clerk (1 hr)
2. Phone call with Senior Project Manager (1 hr)
3. Call with HR illustrating (she was actually dictating) interview scenarios, possible questions and expected answers (2+ hr)
4. 2 face-to-face interviews with hiring managers and HR (4 hrs)
All took more than 3 months to happen.

It was a nightmare that did not end well for me: they didn't even give me any answer for the employment (yes, no....whatever). They simply disappeared. I called them once to have a feedback (of any type) they bounce me back. I emailed: no answer. Is this the way they do business?

Interview Question – Unrealistic scenario: you are the CEO of company XYZ. There is a crisis 123 due to (whatever). How would you address the crisis?
This question is good for C-level / EVP caliber, not for a Business Analyst....
  View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in January 2010.

Interview Details First interview what through phone call. After around a week I was invited for a face to face interview with HR. After another week I was invited for a panel interview with two supervisors. Within that same week I had a final interview with the Senior Team Manager.

Interview Question – Not really difficult. You just need to be honest and just be yourself.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

The Hague (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

Interview Details I was invited of the Shell Recruitment Day.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 6 years?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in February 2014.

Interview Details Online application, online test (situational and numerical), face to face interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to accomplish something under pressure: what were the key decisions you took during this time?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Royal Dutch Shell

Worked for Royal Dutch Shell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Dutch Shell interview questions and advice. All 197 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Royal Dutch Shell employees and interview candidates.