Royal Dutch Shell Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct, 2014
Updated 20 Oct, 2014

3.5

Intern Interview

Took me a week to apply. I received a call after a month

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in November 2012.

Year 2012- I applied online.

6 months later, I got a call scheduling a phone interview for the following week.

After passing the first interview, I was told to wait for an invitation to the SRD (within a week or two). A month passed before they emailed me the date of the SRD with 4 days notice (I had to fly to headquarters on very short notice).

However, I ended up attending the SRD. I did quite well. The following day, I was told that I passed the SRD and had wait for my candidacy to be matched with a valid graduate opening (I gave my top 3 choices at the SRD). *At this point, I declined other offers from top companies because I wanted to work for Shell*

5 months later, I got a phone call from someone with a very arrogant tone telling me that they can't find a suitable position for me and asked me if I would like to be placed in Shell for the following year. I accepted.

A year later, they emailed me a generic email telling me that they couldn't find me a suitable position and that my profile will be kept active for the next 3 years since I was successful at the SRD. The email even had a couple of spelling and grammar errors (because it seems that they took the generic rejection letter and tailored it to a successful SRD candidate that they have to turn down).

All in all, I was hopeful to work for Shell. They preach about respect and relationship in their interview process but I never seemed to get any in my interaction with their HR department. I just wish that they had rejected me at the beginning, instead of accepting me, giving me false hope and causing me to miss out of many opportunities, only to tell me a year later that I am "Regretted".

Interview Questions
    • The case studies at the SRD are the most challenging but if you think fast and analyze efficiently, you will find they to be quite easy.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2010.

There is a preliminary interview with standard HR type questions to determine if you should be invited to shell day.

You are invited to a dinner before the Shell day, where you are taught about the interview process and go to dinner with some current employees.

At Shell day, you do a variety of business cases, both alone, in small groups and one large case with a big group. The last case is solved as a group with all of the interviewers in the room assessing how you interact with each other.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview at the end of Shell day.....having a good/intelligent/experienced group to interview with helps.   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

1) Psychometric Test - Test your mental stabililty
    2) Aptitude Test - Basic graphs and data interpretation questions
    3) Telephonic Interview - They focus on the use of 'I' rather than 'We' and ask questions on the CART structure. Be genuine here and only use real life experiences. Don't fabricate your own stories.
    4) SRD Interview

Graduate Programmer In Finance Interview

As other people have commented here regarding the online testing but I also wanted to add that, with regard to the first online assessment where you are required to rate actions you would take and then rate the most and least effective solution - DO NOT choose the most ideal ones every time as it presents an unrealistic viewpoint and only shows that you are trying to give what they want.

With the second online assessment you have 18 mins to complete 18 questions that involve analysing charts/graphs and interpreting and calculating information from them. I personally found it very time pressured although the questions weren't particularly difficult. The tests are by Cubiks and there may be practice tests available online or hints and tips on video channels.

Overall, with the first one you should really try to visualise yourself in the scenarios given and think logically about how all stakeholders/people involved are affected rather than just trying to give the model answer. For the second, timed assessment do try and find practice tests available and do them. Even if you can't find cubiks ones try and find a generic test online where you have to analyse and interpret charts and perform calculations AND THEN DO THESE UNDER TIME RESTRICTION. The reason I say this is that it will give your brain a reference point for working under pressure so hopefully you won't be too overwhelmed when you come to this part of the test.

Having said all of that, I completed 10 out of 18 and still got called for an interview so don't lose too much sleep over it.

Process Engineer Interview

done with online assessment, and waiting for telephne interview. if you have time and want to save time you can go through the the cognitive sample questions which is been posted and mostly the same questions you get.

Interview Questions
    • numericals in online assessment has to be prepared before giving it   Answer Question

Assessed Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

1- Submitted the Resume online

2- 2 Tests
    One is personal which is quite easy and you should answer what you believe
    the other is situational and you should answer according to Shell principle (Vision and mission)
    it also has numerical test, be fast and prepare a good calculator as graphs and tables are full of information and you will take time to find the right ones then do the calculation.

3- Interview
    The CAP is essential assignment and all question based on it
    So prepare your answer in advanced in STARR hierarchy
    and when you mention one example you should stick to it as the interviewer will not allows you to change it for the same question.
    The question were like the one the recruiter send you as tips to help you or what you usually find on the Internet about CAP interviews

4- Offer or not

Interview Questions
    • What challenges you faced and how you over come it in this example you mentioned ?   View Answer

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

you have to register until end of deadline on Shell.com and choose one way : 1- an assessed internship 2- graduate program
    after submission you pass an online behavior online test(unlimited time)
    then decision making and numerical test

if you successfully passed exams u invited to an phone interview

Interview Questions
    • i suggest to anybody search and practice on competency based interview, behavior interview   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Dutch Shell.

I initially applied for the Summer internship position in March and got the interview invitation three weeks later. After successfully passing this stage in May, I was invited for the Shell Recruitment Day, which is the last stage of hiring for the internship position. After two months of waiting for the date I was told that I could no longer do the internship with them and that they would invite me for the SRD for the full-time employment later that year. I ended up going for the SRD 11 months after my initial application with them. After what seemed to me as the perfect day at their HQ, I was 99% sure I was gonna get an offer for employment, which didn't happen, because I wasn't the right match.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed their perceptiveness to the applicants and wouldn't mind going through the SRD again just for the fun of it.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do, if local population didn't want the Green technology in their area, because the solar panels are ugly?!   View Answer

Commercial Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Dutch Shell in October 2014.

After creating an account on application page you are required to submit the CV. After that there are two online assessment stages; first one being a personality test. I did not continue after the first one. But it was a very short and precise test; taking less than 20 mins to complete