Royal Bank of Scotland

227 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details I applied online and received a phone call within two weeks telling me I was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview only took about 30 minutes and was mostly personality/skills based questions. Three days later I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to their onsite location to finish the interview process. I interviewed for about an hour in a half during their onsite interviews and received a notification about two weeks later saying I was hired.

Interview Question – How many pancakes are eaten on any given day in New York City   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Warsaw (Poland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in September 2013.

Interview Details There are three phases of recruitment process. First one is phone interview - here your foreign language skills are tested and so are you verbal presentation skills. Second one is one to one interview, very typical - asking about your motivations and psychological traits. Third one is interview with HR employee - to test you psychologically and to check your motives and also to negotiate salary.

Interview Question – Plase tell me in details about your interest.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked how much I'd like to learn. There's a salary range and it is good to know it before you apply as you can get a better deal with that knowledge.

CIB Summer Interview

CIB Summer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Question – For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in June 2013.

Interview Details I was interviewed for vacancy in Amsterdam office. Team has people in UK as well. Selected for the interview through a B-school in Netherlands (through resume book). There was only one face to face interview with two analysts from the team.

Interview Question – A question on mathematics was asked initially, to explain the loss distribution for defaults if portfolio has multiple counterparties. Later on questions based on modifications to this distribution were asked, i.e., what happens at the tail when correlations increase..etc. I was expecting questions on modelling expected exposure, etc in terms of market risk. But the question topics were random for other candidates as well (some were asked CIR model). They basically test the most basic mathematical knowledge and how we apply it.   View Answer

Finance Interview

Finance

Interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland

Interview Details Typical interview, nothing exceptional, it was a 1 off role for a one off project. So nothing should be read into these comments for new recruitment. It was professional & they are a professional organisation.

Interview Question – Nothing exceptional asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

(M&IB) Operations Interview

(M&IB) Operations
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in January 2014.

Interview Details First round: HR telephone interview, basically has two parts. The first 30 minutes is competency and fit, and if you do well enough you will proceed to the next 30 minutes, which is mostly work ethic and personality.
Was notified within 48 hours that I had passed the first round, although the next round was not guaranteed.
Waited around half a month to be invited to the assessment centre.
Second round: asessment centre with four components
1. A 1 hour one-on-one interview, exactly the same as telephone interview except face to face with an Operations member
2. Group Interview: each people gets a different case, and you have to work in a team to prioritize them.
3. Written Exercise: make a recommendation according to the group exercise
4. One-on-one role play: based on the group interview, you need to advance your case to the person the interviewer is pretending to be.

Interview Question – Role play interview includes questions where the interviewer can be quite hostile and unwilling to change.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New Delhi (India)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in July 2013.

Interview Details Interview was quite technical in nature. Everything related to banking and finance were asked by the interviewer. Also, there were certain misleading information was provided relating to the growth and salary increment in interview as well as orientation + Induction. HR people are themselves not clear about the policies they will beat around the bush but will not answer your query.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected. It was fine.   Answer Question

Software Designer Interview

Software Designer
Chennai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in August 2010.

Interview Details It was a detail process, couple of rounds of Technical screening, followed by competency based written tests, then again a couple of rounds of Technical screening (this time face to face), then again Management rounds and finally a HR interview (salary expectation). It was a tough process but structured.

Interview Question – Usually all the questions are competency based and it was scenario based, questions are pretty much available or taken from many internet sites but with a decent preparation one can crack it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had to negotiate twice to come closer to my expectation, you need to press foot and negotiate :)

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014 Interview

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014

I applied online and interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview Details Fill out application online, attach a CV and covering letter, and complete a personality test. Different graduate programmes might have different reasoning tests. For Technology (M&IB) it was a logical reasoning test (has to be one of the most difficult tests I've ever seen, I think it was adaptive, questions got more difficult). Followed by a phone interview, which lasted about 30 mins, these are carried out by an external company. There were 3 questions and each had a few follow-up questions with it. 1. Why have you applied at RBS? (Follow up questions included 'do you think RBS are facing any challenges at the moment?') 2. Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. 3. Asked to rate self on a scale from 1-10 on doing the right thing. Which led to "describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong? Why did you feel that it was wrong? What actions did you take?"

Interview Question – Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. (Requested not to use an example from university)   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
New Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland in March 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process starts with a HR round followed by an aptitude test which consists English, numerical ability and typing test followed by technical round wherein you may be asked about your interests in banking, general banking terms and concepts

Interview Question – nothing as such.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed

Worked for Royal Bank of Scotland? Contribute to the Community!