Royal Bank of Scotland

Updated 3 Nov, 2014
Updated 3 Nov, 2014

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Had to complete online tests - one situational and 2 psychometric tests. Quite difficult

Followed by a telephone interview which I passed. I am now waiting to see if I have got on to the assessment centre

Interview Questions
    • Competency questions involving leadership and doing the right thing   Answer Question

Capital Markets Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied online through campus career site. After about a week got an on campus interview. Interview was mostly behavior and just trying to get to know you. Interviewer was very nice and was pretty relaxed. I only got asked one technical question, how would you assess the credit of a company?

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • What would you look at when looking at the credit of a company?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

1st stage:
    why RBS, why this division, and all the fit questions

2nd stage:
    Relationship b/w bond price and interest rate
    Briefly describe the I/S from top to bottom
    Tell me the outlook of Korean economy in 2010
    Are you investing now?

Interview Questions
    • 1. Define a volatility based on Statistics
      2. Define a price of bond
        Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Filled out an initial application form, this was then followed by an initial screening phone interview asking to clarify a few details as well as the few straight forward questions about why and how I applied for the position. This was then followed by a further more detailed phone interview taking around 30 minutes. where i was asked a few situational questions these were straightforward, finally they asked me to give details of when I followed each of the four main company ideals. After this they contacted me to attend an assessment day a month later, however i had already accepted an offer for a grad role so had to cancel my attendance.

Interview Questions
    • Give examples of a time when you followed each of RBS's four values and the eventual outcome.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied to one job, but qualified for a few so I had two interviews by two teams. I applied online and a RBS rep got back to me within a week. The process took three-four weeks from application to interview. Interview was fairly easy. The only difficult part is that you are being interviewed by 2 teams of 3 people performing 3 different functions so it's hard to cater to one function and show why you are a good fit.

Complaint is that RBS HR at the Stamford, NY is incredibly slow from application, interview, and response. They did not even reply with a definitive yes or no. Look, if you're scared of hurting my feelings, I can deal with rejection, but I cannot get back wasted time so please don't waste my time on my job search.

Building is state of the art. They have a large trading floor, gym (with sauna), food courts, and roof top dining.

Anyone would be lucky to work there because the building is great, but RBS is a dying company and shrinking its US presence...just read what the CEO is saying. Anyways upwards and onwards.

I didn't like some of the WASPY characters and I knew I wouldn't get it because of a lack of diversity in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what brings you into RBS today.   View Answer

CIB Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Assessment centre on last day of Spring Week in London, Bishopsgate. Interview plus presentation. Competency questions had already been covered when interviewing for Spring Week, so the questions this time around were more technical.

Interview Questions
    • For the case study at hand, what debt to EBITDA ratio would you advise?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I applied online and received a phone call within two weeks telling me I was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview only took about 30 minutes and was mostly personality/skills based questions. Three days later I received a phone call telling me I needed to come to their onsite location to finish the interview process. I interviewed for about an hour in a half during their onsite interviews and received a notification about two weeks later saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • How many pancakes are eaten on any given day in New York City   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Typical interview, nothing exceptional, it was a 1 off role for a one off project. So nothing should be read into these comments for new recruitment. It was professional & they are a professional organisation.

No negotiation

Technology (M&IB) Graduate Programmer 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Fill out application online, attach a CV and covering letter, and complete a personality test. Different graduate programmes might have different reasoning tests. For Technology (M&IB) it was a logical reasoning test (has to be one of the most difficult tests I've ever seen, I think it was adaptive, questions got more difficult). Followed by a phone interview, which lasted about 30 mins, these are carried out by an external company. There were 3 questions and each had a few follow-up questions with it. 1. Why have you applied at RBS? (Follow up questions included 'do you think RBS are facing any challenges at the moment?') 2. Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. 3. Asked to rate self on a scale from 1-10 on doing the right thing. Which led to "describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong? Why did you feel that it was wrong? What actions did you take?"

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you helped someone else achieve a goal. (Requested not to use an example from university)   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Interview process will have a general discussion(GD), and a simple analytical written which also contains, typing test and general english. after that a common HR round. for experienced, the corresponding team manager and team leader will take the interview to check on your skills

Interview Questions
    • comfortable with any shift time? and how long will you stay here if you are hired?   Answer Question
    no negotiation.