Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland Interview Questions

Updated 22 Jan, 2015
Updated 22 Jan, 2015

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

One on campus interview, one phone interview due to snow storm. Honestly amongst most banks probably the most casual and comfortable interview environment. Most of the emphasis is on why banking, why RBS, and why you are a good candidate.

Corporate Responsibilty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Job advertisement. Invited for curry and interview. They didn't want to take a risk on me as a Politics student even though I got good interview feedback. The process was done in an Indian restaurant and you were given a meal (which was good) but the open environment for conducting interview was intimidating, you knew other candidates were listening to you. Trying to do more on corporate responsibility but not enough. Good business prizes diversity of thought in the long run.

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Group exercise involving a trading game and a dice. An individual presentation from a large set of given information. Finally, a set of two interviews one to one. The group exercise can be intense but it wasn't a relevant simulation of what trading really is like, trading isn't something done in a group and because of this it can result in a lot of confusion between the group members and you have to react instantly without having enough time to discuss hence not very effective.

Graduate Risk Analyst Interview

Having completed the online application I was invited to sit 3 online tests: situational, numerical and logical reasoning tests. After I have passed the test I was invited for a telephone interview. Telephone interview took 45 mins and the next day they have told me that I passed the benchmark. However with RBS passing a telephone interview does not guarantee AC, so i still waiting to hear back from them about that.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were as expected with first part of the interview focussing on my motivation to join RBS and that particular division. The second part involved two competency based questions: Tell me about a time you helped someone overcome their fear and reach their potential and tell me about the time when you showed your integrity. Both questions involved further subquestions.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Completed online application and online aptitude tests and was invited for the telephone interview a few days after. Telephone interview consists of 3 sections: Why RBS, Why the programme and 3 Competency Questions that you will be asked.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were asked to do something you felt was wrong/ when you were against someones morals   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

I applied for an internship in the Risk department. Filled in an application which include one question, why do you want to work for RBS. After completed the situational judgement test, numerical and verbal tests I was invited to a telephone interview. It was a structural interview, make sure you read all the tips and hints that explain the interview process beforehand as well as research about the company and the current market trend.

Commercial Baking Graduate UK INtake 2015 Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Applied a month ago, numerical verbal and reasoning tests with talentq (quite hard) , telephone interview and assessment centre. There was a problem with my test results that they couldn't get. If i would do the process again i would definitely apply earlier. The first assesment centre may have been in November if i am correct. and i applied late november! expect the usual questions. the woman interviewing me was very polite!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you inspired someone (not in university or academic related) and how you did it?   Answer Question

Global Analyst Interview

Group Exercise followed by Interview. People were split into groups with 3 members in random and each group was given an industry and asked to analyse various risks involved and how to mitigate those risks.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple financial products were given and asked to rate it in the decreasing order of risk   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

Telephone interview, lasted 45 mins. Couple of weeks later had AC day in head office, pretty easy. Included written exercise which required us to find/summarise info from a huge binder, group exercise/presentation while being assessed by 4 people, 1-1 briefing of group exercise outcomes, then competency interview, then technical interview. Notified next day regarding pass/fail. Very good experience and RBS seems like a brilliant place to work.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Well paid.

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Royal Bank of Scotland.

one telephone interview and then AC, AC include a group discussion and individual presentation, one 1 to 1 interview, mentoring test and a writing test. It was a tight schedule but the overall experience was good.