Ross Stores

Relevance Date Difficulty

Receptionist Interview

Receptionist
Tukwila, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ross Stores in April 2014.

Interview Details I got a call a few days after I applied to come in for an interview which they were very flexible with scheduling. I interviewed with the same person I talked to on the phone I believe I handed her(one of the MODs) my resume which she skimmed over. She asked me why I wanted to work at Ross I told her I shop here all the time it's near where my mom lives since I live on campus and like to be home on the weekends so I would rather work near home, but there is a bus line to both locations from here. Then she asked if I have any role models for a good work ethic which is personally a question I had never heard of but I told her about my grandma who still works warehouse jobs even in her 50s but never minds and always does what she has to which I respect.

Interview Question – Probably the work ethic role model one, they get a lot of lazy kids trying to apply and flaking out days later, I think that question is just trying to get at what sort of background you come from, whether or not you'll be likely to keep coming back and keep to your word and be a hard worker at that because Ross stores, any location, are a dang mess   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – right after the initial 2 questions I asked when she would get back to me by and she said well I, going to offer you a position right now and she did and I took home paperwork right then and came in the next tuesday for my orientation

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2012.

Interview Details Applied online, got a class back within a week. They told me to come in for an interview. I interviewed with the assistant manager with basic questions. Super basic like "Why do you want to work for us?" He also asked about working in fast pace environments. Make sure to rave how much you love them. After the interview, I went to go get a few groceries and the store manager called asking if I could come back in immediately, I did. He asked similar questions and started telling me about the job. I was hired immediately.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working in a fast paced environment?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Store Protection Specialist Interview

Store Protection Specialist
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details You have to go through 3 interviews. Assistant Store Manager, Store Manager, Area Loss Prevention Manager. Show up in professional clothes(even though you're interviewing for Ross). Don't be nervous ,you're not applying for Special Forces. If they called you for an interview it means that you will get the job. Remember the dress code can always help you,you need to look sharp.
By the way, if you have any questions go and ask one of the Loss Prevention guys ,they will be happy to help you.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. If they as what would you do in this situation,just say it depends on your policies.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's a really good temporary job. Do not go further, even managers don't get enough money.

Retail Associate Interview

Retail Associate
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in August 2014.

Interview Details I filled in an application for Ross with the knowledge of doing seasonal work for them. I was offered an interview the next day on the phone and went in a few days later. The interview itself was standard procedure, with questions like "how many times is a good amount to be late for work" none of course. The manager herself was very nice and has a wonderful bubbly personality. And in the end despite only being availible to work for the next month, as I am going to move across country for college, she was able to fight for me and I'm very excited to start this week. Absolutely recommend for people with limited experience to gain said work experience and/or going off to college looking for seasonal work.

Interview Question – "What qualities about someone you know that help them get through the work day?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Entry level position, not really negotiable. I am able to have a relatively flexible schedule, though I did request as many hours as they could give me.

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ross Stores in July 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and a week later they called and asked me to come for an interview. I arrived there about 5 minutes early but seem like they didn't like me coming just 5 minutes early so they had me wait in the back for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then I spoke to the hiring manager. While I maintained eye contact and talk confidently about my volunteer experience, the manager couldn't look me in the eye, he kept looking at the ground while he spoke. I asked all the questions but honestly felt like I didn't get the job just because I don't have any retail experience even though they were paying minimum wage. A week after the interview I called to follow up and were told that they were still waiting for my background check and he'll call me back when he receive it. I never heard from them again.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?
How would you handle an irate customer?
What skills did you learn in your volunteer work?
  Answer Question

Meridian, ID (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in February 2012.

Interview Details Got a call and came in two days later. The interview was several questions with two managers interviewing you. My interview lasted a little more than an hour and they basically let me know that I had the job.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, you get $7.25 to start with.

Bend, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in July 2014.

Interview Details Application process was simple enough. Haven't gone through the hiring process yet. They sent me an email, telling me to full out an assessment. But the link is faulty.

Interview Question – What was your previous position?   View Answer

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in November 2011.

Interview Details Applied and received a call within half to a full month. One interview with the Assistant Manager who chose who would go to the next interview, then a second interview to days later with the Store Manager. Expected questions such as why you want to work there, tell them a bit about yourself, tell me a time when... questions, very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

SPS Interview

SPS
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details Questions that had nothing to do with the job. Distracted manager. Loud interruptions. Waited while the manager talked with an associate for 10 minutes. Asked irrelevant questions. Talked to too many people that did not seem interested in what the answer would be......more like, they just wanted to get it over with.

Interview Question – Can you live on the short hours.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Industrial Engineering/Tech Interview

Industrial Engineering/Tech

Interviewed at Ross Stores

Interview Details Met an HR rec. at a college job fair. She was looking for interns. She called me, we scheduled a phone interview. A few weeks later we set up a face to face interview. A few weeks after I had a face to face with the engineering (industrial) manager. Real friendly nice guy. (Perris)

Interview Question – Asked "common sense" questions like tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, about my computer skills, etc. I dont remember having any structured, typical interview, silly questions. It was a very natural conversation. It was my first "real" interview (not for a fast food or retail job, like a real engineering internship) and one question that threw me off was what I wanted to do with my degree or what part of industrial engineering I wanted to be in when I graduated. At that time, I was so young and inexperienced it was actually a hard question. But I answered honestly and he liked my answer. I said I've never had an internship before so I dont really know.. that I wanted to work here first and see what its like before I can think about what I'd like to do specifically.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not really a negotiation because it was internship. Basically when they called me I gave a verbal acceptance. They requested I drive in person within one week to sign papers. The day I came in, I took a drug test. The agreement was no benefits, $15/hr, and I had a "contract" to work full time for the whole summer. By the end of summer, things went well so I was allowed to work part-time after summer ended. It was a great job! I miss my intern days there (Perris) and I would absolutely consider working there again in the future! Just knowing that they are an "off price retailer" I'll assume the salary pay for full times is not GREAT, however with the great people and great atmosphere I remember, it would be worth it to someone looking for that.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!