Ross Stores

343 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier/Customer Service Interview

Montclair, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details Went to an interview with the store and assistant manager. They went back and forth with situational questions, then discussed availability and uniform. It lasted around 10 minutes. Got a call 2 weeks later with a job offer. They have to wait for a background check to offer you a job which takes two weeks.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer spit on you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No wage negotiation. They only offer minimum wage.

Retail Associate Interview

Greenville, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2013.

Interview Details Took months for them to call after my application had already been in. Interview was pretty easy they asked about past experiences with jobs etc. Basically tole me I had the job when done

San Leandro, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in February of 2014, then totally forgot that I submitted an application. They finally called me back about a full month later, and asked me to go in for an interview. I went in and waited a whole hour and twenty minutes in the front of the store next to the exit (not in the break room or anything) before I was called in. I met the manager, who apologized for the wait and explained that the computers were running slowly, and that was supposed to make up for it I guess.
Anyways, the questions were easy. Tell me about yourself, how would you handle an angry customer?, What do you do when you have a lot of work to do in a little amount of time, asked about hours. I have a few friends who work at the store so I mentioned that I'd heard good things from them about working there, and when asked about angry customers I said that I would try to talk to them calmly, and make sure they know that I'm trying to do as much as I could to understand their situation. She offered me a job on the spot, provided that my background check came thru, and explained very briefly about what to expect, such as what to wear, how I will get trained.
Now, this is the part that is difficult. It's been nearly a month since I've been hired and I haven't been called for training. I have called them every week, asking to get scheduled for training but I always get told that either the manager who hired me isn't there, or to call back later. I went into the store twice, and was finally told to come in for Orientation on a Wednesday at 11am. I showed up.. and the manager wasn't even in. I wasted a bunch of my time getting ready and getting there just to be told, i have to wait another week. I am anxious to start this job, I need the money. Other places have called me for interviews but I turned them down because I am waiting for Ross to call me back.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

District Manager Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details My experience in interviewing with Ross was outstanding. The senior leadership is very well connected to what is happening in the stores. The company is doing well financially and has tremendous growth potential.

Negotiation Details – Simple, great offer.

Area Manager Interview

Richmond, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Ross Stores.

Interview Details Interview was short and sweet. Nothing too complicated

Interview Question – The questions were pretty simple and your typical tell me about yourself, accomplishments, work ethic, availability, honesty, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary due to experience

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2013.

Interview Details 2 days after i did an online appication I was called in for an interview. The interview included me and 5 other hirees and the hiring manager. The interview was pretty cool and fun. Teh next day after the interview I was offered the job.

Interview Question – All of the questions were easy.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ross Stores in June 2011.

Interview Details I applied online and was called for an interview the next day. I was asked very basic interview questions such as what I find challenging about dealing with people, my strengths, etc.

Interview Question – They were all simple interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Lafayette, LA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in March 2012.

Interview Details general questions about availability, interview with store manager and assistant store manager independently, took background check a few weeks to come back

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – wanted to start me at $7.25 an hour but i declined due to previous experience of 5 years in customer service

Retail Associate Interview

Waco, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in January 2011.

Interview Details Applied, heard from them within a week.

Interview Question – Pretty generic interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None really.

Stock Associate Interview

Napa, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ross Stores in October 2012.

Interview Details They called me over the phone and asked if I was available anytime. When I agreed they hired me

Interview Question – Nothing. They didn't even ask any questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ross Stores

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores interview questions and advice. All 343 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees and interview candidates.