RetailMeNot Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr, 2015
Updated 7 Apr, 2015

2.9

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with 7 employee at RMN individually during a day. There were visual designers, UX designers, creative lead, and so forth. Each of them asked me to walk through my favorite project.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First round phone screen and then four technical interviews onsite in the Austin office. Engineers took the interview group out for dinner the night before and then lunch during interview day. Everyone was super friendly and the office definitely retained a start-up feel. Seems like most people are very happy to be working there.

Interview Questions

• Standard data structures and algorithms-related questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate as it was a fairly competitive offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

On campus 50 minute interview. First 15 minutes or so were talking about the company and my background. Then technical questions of increasing complexity.
    Always be thinking about how to have the most efficient code. It's not worth it to waste your time with an inefficient solution. Really, if you can't get the most efficient solution you won't get the job anyway.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of digits, return the longest number (of digits) that is prime   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

On-campus interview--pretty standard. Asked to do operations on an arbitrary list, like finding different ways to splice it. Asked to implement a recursive solution to find all possible ways of splicing a list of integers into valid prime numbers. Interviewer was very patient and helpful throughout, and offered good feedback and guidance.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got contacted by a recruiter, completed an on-campus interview, and got flown out for second-round onsite interviews. The onsite interviews consisted of about four/five consecutive interviews. Everyone was super nice -- interviewers and recruiters alike. Additionally, I came down with a bad cold the week of my interview, and the recruiters were understanding about it. Overall, had a very pleasant experience and got the impression that they really care about their candidates.

Interview Questions

• I indicated an interest in UI, and my interviews were bent in that direction, with interviews about user experience (given screen shots and asked to give feedback), Javascript (conceptual and some light coding), front-end development and then a general coding interview.
      Given mockups: how would you implement them? Which user interaction features would you implement?
      javascript closures, prototypes, scope, etc.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at RetailMeNot.

Interview

I was interviewing for the Software Engineering internship.

Met recruiter at career fair. She invited me to do an on-campus interview the next day. A few days after my interview, I was invited to come onsite. However, this was just my first semester of college, so I explained I couldn't miss school to go onsite.

Over winter break, the recruiter followed up and asked if I could come onsite. I agreed and flew to Austin for an interview. I actually almost wasn't able to go because I got a horrible stomach virus the day I was leaving.

The day of the interview, I was overmedicated, running a high fever, and out of it. I somehow managed to do alright in my interviews though. The day consisted of two back-to-back technical interviews in the morning, lunch with some employees and other applicants, and two more back-to-back technical interviews in the afternoon. I found the technical interviews challenging, especially since I had not yet taken a data structures and algorithms class. The questions were interesting and very algorithmic. Every interview, I was drilled on time complexity (even though I had never learned it). I told my interviewer this, and did my best to make it through.

Every interview started with the interviewer asking questions about my resume and ended with the an opportunity for me to ask my interviewer questions. At the end of the day, I had a 30 minute non-technical interview about myself and then finally sat down with the recruiter to discuss next steps.

It was a hard decision, but I ultimately opted for a more well-known company in California because I found the stuff they were working on to be more interesting.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at RetailMeNot (Austin, TX (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Saw an ad for the open position online and sent in my resume. I was contacted within a few hours with the request to schedule a phone screen. Was initially excited that they moved so quickly, and scheduled the first call for the following Monday.
    From the moment the recruiter got on the line, it seemed completely unprofessional and was a total waste of my time. She barely guided the conversation at all, so when I took the lead and gave an overview of my background, she sounded very uninterested. Half the time she was talking to people beside her in the office and not participating in the phone conversation. When it was time to wrap up the call, it was a very cold and short "ok bye" and nothing else.
    A couple hours later, I received an email from her saying that they are going to pass at this time and that they have a couple of candidates further along in the process.
    First off, if you have candidates further along in the process, wouldn't you want to see if one of them works out before continuing to interview other people? Second, if you are going to interview additional people, why waste their time if you are not seriously considering them?

This interview left a very sour taste. I felt disrespected and that I wasted a valuable 30 mins in my day that could've easily been spent on doing something far more productive than speaking to someone, who initiated the conversation, but then decided they didn't care.

Interview Questions

• No real questions were asked by this recruiter. She seemed uninterested altogether.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at RetailMeNot (Ithaca, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

1 hour interview, a few short answer questions and one coding question. The short answer questions were "what is a dictionary", and "what is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" These were straight forward to answer. The coding question came in 3 parts, the first and second involving simple iterative functions, but the third was to implement it recursively. The third was easy if you were to implement it from scratch, but not easy when they instructed to change the function by adding a few lines.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, return a list of all the prime numbers formed by concatenating the integers from left to right in that list.   Answer Question

Interview

I submitted my application through my college career center. I heard back from the recruiter within several weeks and scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter asked general questions about my interest in the position as well as my previous experiences. The recruiter also asked many technical questions, which did not require much knowledge of syntax per say but lots of problem solving and logical capabilities. I think this is where I stumbled and why I was not invited back for another interview.

Interview Questions

• Many logic based questions of about equal difficulty, very similar to those asked for other software engineering positions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit resume through the campus interview, answered some simple questions on the career fair and got an technical interview the day after the campus career fair. The interviews are mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Get the entries happened more than two times in a list   Answer Question