Public Storage

Updated 23 Sep, 2014
Updated 23 Sep, 2014

2.5

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Interviewed by Dan, seems like great guy, questions were in-depth and based on experience. I only made it to the phone interview but I know the in-person interview is three or more hours in length. I decided to pursue other options before the second interview.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

The interview process is a long one. You are contacted first by a recruiter who goes through the basic details with you and then are contacted by a Regional Manager. You have a brief phone interview and then are asked to come in for what will be one of the longest interviews of your life.

You sit with a Regional Manager and are asked the following questions:
    What were your two highs and lows of HIGH SCHOOL?
    What were your two highs and lows of COLLEGE?
    On your last 3 jobs you're asked:
    What were you hired to do?
    What were your two accomplishments?
    What were your two opportunities?
    What would you do differently?
    What would your boss say about you?
    What did you think of your boss?
    What was it like working with them?
    Can you spell their name?

You are then contacted by the Divisional and it's a phone interview if it's not geographically feasible or a face to face if you're close by. Same questions as above. If you pass this portion, they will call you again to go to the Glendale office and sit with senior executive team, Shawn Weidmann. That interview goes over all the same things as above and is really just for him to sign off on hiring you. If Shawn doesn't like you though, you will not get the position.

Process takes around 2 weeks and then it's a giant background check with the worst (aka cheapest) company ever.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. It's $75k plus $16k first year bonus.

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

I had send my resume on friday, immediately after I received a phone call to set up a conference call with the Sr.DM and VP. We had a 15min conversation, I thought all went well but WITH IN 2 hours I received an email that they didn't think I was the right person for the job. I did not see that coming to be honest. A few questions they asked me:
    What do you know of the company, what would your formal supervisor tell about you, how would this person rate you on a scale from 1-10. You have to tell what your strength is and also weakness. Prepare a few questions yourself for at the end of the conversation. You need to tell them about your management skills.
    I hope I will have better luck next time. Good luck to all that apply. It looks like a great company to work for.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Phone interview with Senior District Manager. Was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being over 90. Got a call back within an hour to fly out the next week for a second interview in-person (scheduled for 3 hours). Was told that the position was for a DM-in-training. Didn't get much information at all about the position or demands during the phone interview, so I asked about work/life balance, percentage of travel, and vacation/time-off accrual (all logical questions that most anyone would want to know before accepting an offer). Really just wanted to compare to my previous career. I got another call saying that there were "concerns about our alignment" and that they were going to pass on moving forward with me. Evidently the organization doesn't care much for what they can provide the employee in exchange for their hard work. It's too bad that they pass on people with proven excellent record of results just because they inquire about work/life balance. Doesn't sound very people-oriented. I was already suspicious based on the employee reviews and the fact that they tout the salary and bonus so much in the job listings. Must be paying for hard servitude.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Scripted questions. Identical to the other Glassdoor reviewers. Almost like a personality test and very lengthy.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Very fast process. Phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Basic questions about your direct reports. Following week had face to face with two Regional Managers at their corporate office. Just got a notice I didn't make the cut. Seems like a great company to work for. Will try again.

Interview Questions
    • Face to Face they ask you to give them 3 low points and 3 high points you've had in High School, College, and professional career.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Castro Valley, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castro Valley, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Public Storage.

One Phone screen and 2 interviews. One ride-along with an exisiting Distirct manager. Process was fast and easy maybe takes 3 weeks to complete. First in person interview took about 2 hours.

Property Manager Interview

2 weeks one phone interview and 2 in person with DM and regional manager drug and back ground test take about one week to get results back they well ask what are your strengths and weakness

Relief Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Applied online was called the next day. 3 interviews: phone with recruiting manager, in person with district manager & regional manager. It helps if you were referred by a current employee. Currently in the interview stages, phone interview occurred recently

Interview Questions
    • Was asked 3 biggest strengths & 3 biggest weaknesses. FYI they don't generally promote within the company but they do seek long term candidates for the relief manager position. Mention you are looking for a long term position. They do check references, conduct background check & drug testing. If you are currently employed and planning to quit be prepared to tell them why... they will ask   Answer Question

DM Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Long - lots of questions and people to meet

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Public Storage in April 2014.

They ask you about your previous employers (honesty is the best policy). They ask you what you would like from an employer. It is usually a two interview process. They also ask you to tell about different things you've experienced with previous employers that you felt you could have handled better or have learned from.

Interview Questions
    • Your strengths and weaknesses and how you can improve.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate I loved the benefits.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!