Progressive Insurance IT Applications Programmer Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep, 2014
Updated 26 Sep, 2014

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Applications Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in September 2014.

Applied directly on the Progressive Website and was emailed 3 days later requesting a phone interview with an IT manager. All questions were behavioral/background and are expected to be answered using their "Star" approach. Honestly felt like I nailed the interview, but found out a few days later that I was not chosen to move on. My advice is to find a way to fit in the technologies they are looking for (C# and .NET) into every behavioral question with an example. This was difficult for me as most of my experience is academic and thus I failed to "showcase" myself in these technologies even though I know them well.

1) Tell me about a time when you didn't see eye to eye with an employee and how you convinced that employee to see things your way.
(Had to use a non-related C#/.NET example here)

2) Tell me about a time where you showed leadership.
 (Had to use a non-related C#/.NET example here)

3) What are you doing to stay current with technology?
I completely froze up in this question and failed to mention the countless books, podcast, meetups, and websites I study on every night

4) Current job, responsibilities, and recent projects
They were looking for work related experience in C# and .NET here, but I was only able to provide examples that I did at home in these technologies

5) What is your primary programming language
C# - This is what they're looking for as they are a ".NET Shop"

6) Tell me about a difficult project/problem and how you solved it

7) Tell me about your experience working with a team
(Again provided them with a good example of how I work with a team in my current position, but it had nothing to do with C# and .NET)

The post interview rejection email provided a name that I could email to get feedback on the interview. Basically I was told I wasn't strong enough technically to move on even though the interview questions are all non-technical. Was told I could try again in 6-12 months when my technical skills were stronger. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to try and answer with technical programming examples - even if they aren't necessarily the best. In my opinion, this behavioral type interview format favors those with working experience and is very difficult for recent graduates like myself trying to break into the field.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you didn't see eye to eye with an employee and how you convinced that employee to see things your way.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Progressive Insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in March 2014.

Was offered a phone interview through college career fair. After the phone interview I was told that I would be moving on to an onsite interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayfield, OH (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Progressive Insurance in November 2012.

By far the best interview process I've been through. Progressive spends the time necessary to get to know the candidate and allows the candidate to get a good experience in knowing the company. The CIO gave a short presentation, which was unexpected and much welcomed. Simply wish all companies followed this model.

Interview Questions
    • None of the typical, "Tell me about yourself" or "Name three strengths or weaknesses". Every question was behavioral based so if you're prepared you'll do fine.   Answer Question