PopCap Games Interview Questions

Updated 10 Apr, 2015
Updated 10 Apr, 2015

3.1

Consultancy Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PopCap Games (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process was a personal one with 3 in the panel. The questions were pretty direct about the role. Responsibilities were clearly communicated. It was more of a formal discussion.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one with recruiter, another with hiring manager, followed by an all day loop with eight people. Questions were all very straightforward and relevant to the role and my experience. A HUGE part of their interview evaluation is based on culture fit. If you seem uptight or stand-offish, it will count against you. Be casual and expressive.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly tricky, PopCap doesn't do sneaky interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Always counter any offer PopCap gives you, they always come in low and have room to wiggle or give a signing bonus.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview

The initial recruiting process was a bit frustrating, in one instance I had a scheduled interview but was never called because the recruiter was "slammed" and forgot about it. You really have to stay on top of HR to make sure you don't get overlooked. Once you're in the system, it's a bit smoother. I had two phone interviews and then was invited for a panel interview. The office is fun-loving and everyone I met was outgoing, friendly and kind.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to choose between depriving the world of cake or bacon. It was a fun, unexpected twist.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at PopCap Games.

Interview

getting a straight answer out of recruiting was probably the worst part of the whole thing. Long silences, un-returned e-mails. They made it glaringly obvious that I had to really WANT to work at PopCap to get in - I spent a lot of time pestering people. I've seen others go through the same frustrating process in their experience with PopCap. It's hard to recommend it to colleagues, you know they're signing up for an exercise in frustration.

Interview process was to-be-expected for a game company with a lot of teams. Multiple phased interview, obvious knowledge and team fit were important.

Producer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PopCap Games (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Usually there are 4-5 interviews. They take forever to get back to you generally. Interviews are generally done in pairs and everyone is very friendly and fun.

Negotiation

Emails back and forth mostly.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PopCap Games (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

The communication with the recruiter and HR was disjointed -- I couldn't get hold of the recruiter at times. They apologized later, it was caused by reorg related to the acquisition by EA. When I came for the interview, the recruiter wasn't even in the office. Other HR people took charge to get things on track. The technical parts of the interview involved a refactoring exercise with a sample of very ugly code that had been previously removed from production. Then a paired-programming exercise that was genuinely fun to work through. One of the more pleasant developer interview processes that I have ever been through.

Interview Questions

• In the refactoring exercise, the interviewer was looking to see if I knew my design patterns and could describe a good strategy for safely refactoring the bad code.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PopCap Games (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2011.

Interview

Very orientated on Magento Ecommerce, looking to migrate from their current platform while keeping their
    existing database as a backup. They are extremely certain that you fit in their "culture" and are prone to not
    hiring people if you do not fit into their 20-30 something age frame. Use OOP and new technologies.

Interview Questions

• Why would you recommend moving to Magento?   1 Answer

Test Associate II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PopCap Games (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

Phone interview request after resume review.
    2 weeks later, on-site interview with 2 people.
    Lots of cultural fit and technical fit questions.
    Since my position was also going to be doing tools and automation development, I answered a few programming questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. Was my first non-contract position in the industry.