Physio-Control

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Physio-Control.

Interview Details phone interview, then one on-site interview with 4-5 people, taking half a day. i think the difficulty of the experience can vary depending on the functional group and who is actually tasked to interview that day. background check was standard, contracted out to a service, and i don't think my references were even called.

Interview Question – the hiring manager asked the toughest questions, higher-level questions regarding processes and methodologies. the human resources person asked softball questions, maybe just weeding out the weirdos. The developers asked pretty straightforward technical questions, if you know what you're doing you'll be alright, and if you don't know an answer just do your best to work through it as much as you can without B.S.ing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they offered a fair salary, perhaps slightly on the lower side of average, because at the time (several years ago) the company was a subsidiary of Medtronic, and the benefits were actually really great. But there was still room for negotiation, and i was able to increase the final offer by doing my homework on relative regional salaries influenced by my particular skill set and experience. now the benefits suck, so be sure to negotiate accordingly.

Human Factors Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Physio-Control in April 2013.

Interview Details After applying online for this summer position, I was initially contacted by phone by an HR representative. He invited me for a phone interview with one of the internship committee members. The phone interview happened the next day and lasted around 30 minutes. A week later I was invited for an in-person interview onsite with four different people over two hours (30 minutes with each person). We scheduled my interview to be taken place two days later. I had to fill out three pages of paperwork (standard application materials) and take them to the interview.

On the day of the onsite interview, I checked in with the front desk receptionist and waited in the lobby. A few minutes later I was greeted by my first interviewer, another employee from the internship committee, who took me up to a private interviewing room. He first asked how I found out about the opportunity, then asked me to tell him about myself. After a few other general interview questions I had the opportunity to ask him questions about the internship program itself. He told me more about how each intern gets their own mentor to guide them.

Immediately after the first interviewer left, the next interviewer came into the room. This employee was to be my mentor. He asked me about my skills, experience, work ethic, and interests. I then had the opportunity to ask him more about himself, his position, his department, and the project I would be working on.

After the second interviewer, my manager-to-be came in to the room. She came a little late, so I had a little less time with her and some extra time with my mentor-to-be. My manager-to-be asked me about my related experience, my design process, and how I think my course of study relates to the medical technology. I then got to ask her more about the company, its history, and its goals.

My interview session ended with an informal interview with a past intern who turned into a full-time employee. She gave me a walking tour of the campus, which was very informative and helpful. Seems like most places don't give you a walking tour until AFTER you are hired, but having the tour during the interview is nice for the interviewee because it helps him/her decide if the company is a place they could really see his/herself working at. After the walking tour we sat down in the cafeteria, where she gave me a chance to ask any informal questions, questions that probably wouldn't have been appropriate to ask during the previous three interviews. For example, I asked her about her experience when she was an intern, the social events she got to attend, and the compensation she got as an intern.'

Overall, the interview/hiring process was very good. Received the job offer a week after the interview, so the whole process took only about two weeks for me. This might have to do with the fact that I was the last person they interviewed for this position. The in-person interviews weren't intimidating at all; they were fairly conversational, since I wasn't asked to recite my strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – The goal of the project for this internship was to design the "out-of-box experience" (packaging, instructional print materials, how the contents are laid out in the box, etc.) for one of their products in development. The most unexpected question was asked by my mentor-to-be (not verbatim): "Can you think of a product that had a memorable, unique, intuitive out-of-box experience?"   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Materials Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Physio-Control.

Interview Details Sent in an on line application and received an email about 10 days later from HR representative to set up phone interview. Phone interview was generic. Had a follow-up interview with hiring manager in which this person seemed to point out all my weaknesses and I guess some interviews are going to be like that for a reason, but in this case their message was clear. Overall, a waste of time.

Interview Question – Question on MRP   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Interviewed at Physio-Control

Interview Details I only had a phone interview, but the HR Recruiter called on time and was very friendly. We spoke for 15-20 minutes.

Interview Question – I was taken back that the person interviewing me had only worked there for a few weeks.   Answer Question

Service Department Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Physio-Control.

Interview Details 3 interviews each progressed along no delays. Questions were general but enough to get an idea of the company environment for me and conversations were cordial.

Interview Question – Where dd I see myself with the company in 10 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Back then the starting salary and benefits were out of my control they were established already take it or leave it.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Physio-Control in July 2008.

Interview Details They use the star system where they have folks from various departments evaluate who may interact with you ask you the standard interview questions. Often the folks doing the evaluation are overruled by senior members, who would hire on the basis of 'how like' them was the candidate.

Interview Question – There were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At that time Physio was a division of Medtronic. They offered a fair salary but would not strike some of the clauses in the noncompete clause that are not enforceable.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Physio-Control.

Interview Details This was for a contract position through Kelly Services

Interview Question – I don't recall but they were tough questions   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Physio-Control in February 2011.

Interview Details Physio Control is a great place to work at I love company

Interview Question – Why Physio-Control?   Answer Question

Marketing Segment Manager Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Physio-Control in May 2010.

Interview Details I participated in an initial phone interview w/HR for 30 minutes.

The next step was a 4-hour interview process that included a presentation on the value proposition of their product (20 minutes - 6 people present), then lead a 20 minute brainstorming session, and finally wrapped up with 5 x 1:1 interviews (30 miinutes each).

The final step would have been a 1:1 interview with the CMO (I did not make it that far).

Interview Question – What company do you think is doing a good job of managing their brand right now? Why?

What company is doing poorly?
  Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Physio-Control? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Physio-Control interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Physio-Control employees and interview candidates.