Pew Charitable Trusts

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Question – None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

Negotiation Details – little room for negotiation

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Question – Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were rejected outright.

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in July 2011.

Interview Details Confusing. I came to Pew through a staffing agency and was promised a certain salary if I signed on full time after 6 weeks. I interviewed with a Deputy Director for less than one hour and was hired as a contractor less than 7 days later and went through almost no onboarding. I chased a full time offer for 6 months before a job position was created for me. They expected me to do a lot financially impactful work as a contractor and did not ask me to sign any privacy agreements. The offer came back $7,000 less than my minimum ask.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult management?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent. Regardless of previous for-profit experience in a very well-known company, they decided none of it could be applicable and said if I didn't take the offer, they would find someone else.

Manager Interview

Manager
Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

Interview Details The hiring process had a lot of steps, and I was referred by a current employee. Submit a resume unofficially, then officially, phone interview with HR rep, phone interview with the boss, in person interview with the boss and potential colleagues, another in-person interview with the boss's boss.....then you get hired!

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard. Some quite open-ended. Mostly it was just a lengthy process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were pretty clear that there was no negotiation after the first offer. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that is what they told me. I accepted my first offer, though wonder if - in retrospect - I should have gone back.

Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Interview Details Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Research Manager Interview

Research Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2013.

Interview Details Internal recruiter phone interview, Skype interview with supervisor, in-person interviews with project team

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard or unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very high turnover. No one I interviewed with had been there more than 3 years. Side comments from team during interview gave me pause. CEO is viewed as a control freak and slows work process down.

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts

Interview Details Fairly easy process

Interview Question – How well do you deal with bureaucracy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate something at the time but took a pay cut

Executive Office Interview

Executive Office

I applied through another source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

Interview Details I received an email from one of the recruiters asking to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled a mutually convenient time for the following day. I spent 30 minutes or so with the recruiter. We both agreed that we should continue to talk, and scheduled a follow up call the next day. After the follow up call, I was invited in to meet with the recruiter as well as the senior recruiter. The meetings with both were very courteous, professional, and open. I was able to ask lots of questions about the position and the organization. After the interview, the recruiter gave me great feedback. We stayed in touch via phone and email for the next couple of weeks.

Interview Question – I felt that all of the questions that were asked of me were fair. I did not feel that they were overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pew Charitable Trusts

Worked for Pew Charitable Trusts? Contribute to the Community!