Pew Charitable Trusts Interview Questions

Updated 22 Sep, 2014
Updated 22 Sep, 2014

Senior Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Hiring process was very straightforward. I received a call from the recruiter and was given an overview of the job and we discussed briefly how my background and qualifications aligned with the position. I was then invited for an in-person interview at headquarters where I met with the team leads. They were very nice and polite and answered all my questions. It became clear that my long term goals did not necessarily align with the duties of the position and we discussed that openly. They were candid with me and, though I did not receive an offer, I did not expect to after our conversation.

Interview Questions
    • A few behavioral interview questions, but mostly questions related to the ability and willingness to perform the day-to-day tasks of the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Phase 1, HR phone interview. I asked a lot of detailed questions about the organization and the position, and the recruiter was unable to answer most of them. She replied with answers piecemeal over the next few days.
    Phase 2, 1:1 interview with my to-be supervisor. Standard interview fare. Unremarkable in every way
    Phase 3, I returned for THREE more 1:1 interviews, each an hour in length. It was exhausting and repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult, but interviewing with 5 different people was unexpected and tedious   Answer Question
    They claim that all offers are based on "internal equity" and are non-negotiable. The offer I received seemed fair, so I didn't push it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

You need lots of patience. Phone interview with HR staff --> phone interview with program directors--> "assignment"-->on-site interviews with several staff members -->phone interviews with high-ups.

little room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in March 2014.

I applied through the Pew website and was contacted within a few days. I did an HR phone screening, panel interview (surprised me as I was told it would be 1-on-1), phone interview, then about two months of waiting for a decision, with intermittent email exchanges with the hiring manager. I got the impression that employees operate under a lot of red tape and answer to a long chain of command. The most enjoyable part of the process was the panel interview; all the people I interviewed with seemed to be genuinely nice and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions caught me off guard. It was mostly a casual conversation about my experience and resume.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

My own experience was lengthy, over several rounds of interviews and weeks. There's clearly very big internal roadblocks to clear in the interview process, and you get a sense that a number of people you never meet have to vet you before you get an offer. Which, if you get to that point, isn't negotiable even by a dollar. Welcome to the rarified world of "paying for the recognition." the offer I received was quite competitive (full disclosure) but they tell you up front that there's no counter-offer or negotiation. A bit unsettling when you hear that, and really, a hint of what the workplace will become.

Interview Questions
    • Defending your years of experience. Someone you never meet calculates your experience based on your resume/cv. Then they tell you, though it may have taken, say 9 years of grad school and work to now be a PhD, they believe you really only have 5.5 years.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were rejected outright.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

Great HR staff, very easy to work with informative, and will talk to you!

No negotiation - it was low, even for a non-profit in DC as well funded as they are

Interactive Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in December 2013.

Hiring process took two months as Pew conducts a very strict background and education check. All your references must be available, your resume has to be spotless with no time gaps unless you have reasons to have time gaps.

nothing out of the ordinary,

Manager Interview

Fairly easy process

Interview Questions
    • How well do you deal with bureaucracy?   View Answer
    Able to negotiate something at the time but took a pay cut

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts in May 2013.

The hiring process had a lot of steps, and I was referred by a current employee. Submit a resume unofficially, then officially, phone interview with HR rep, phone interview with the boss, in person interview with the boss and potential colleagues, another in-person interview with the boss's boss.....then you get hired!

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard. Some quite open-ended. Mostly it was just a lengthy process.   Answer Question
    They were pretty clear that there was no negotiation after the first offer. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that is what they told me. I accepted my first offer, though wonder if - in retrospect - I should have gone back.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Pew Charitable Trusts.

I was brought in to do an interview and skills assessment. The staff was very polite and professional, but not exactly warm. I was given an overview of the company and the assessment and then left to complete it in my own time. Once it was completed, I had another chat where my skills and history were discussed. The interviewer was very helpful, patient and thorough. Next, a Talent Acquisition Manager came to do a follow up. The whole process took two or three hours. The team was very quick about follow up and communicating next steps.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was a little trickier than I expected. I think that we are all so used to using spell and grammer check that we forget how to to it the old fashioned way. Only a small percentage of people invited to interview pass the assessment so make sure you brush up on your skills.   Answer Question