PetSmart Cashier Interview Questions

2.1

55 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waterloo, ON
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at PetSmart in November 2012.

About a month or two after filling out the online application, I received a call asking me to come in for an in-person interview. The interviews took place in the manager's office near the front of the store.

At the first interview the Assistant Manager went through a battery of standard behavioural questions (lots of "Can you tell me a time when...?"). Of course, they also ask you about your experience with animals/pets--I know people who have gotten hired with very little experience, but it depends hugely on the position (e.g. it's not important for cashiers, but probably critical for Pet Care).

After passing that, I was called back for a second interview a day or two later, this time with the General Manager. This interview was less stressful and had less emphasis on formalities. She asked me to sell her something, and she tested to see what I would do if the customer asked me about a bizarre or unfamiliar product (the right answer is to read the product packaging with the customer, NOT to make something up).

Next step was to fill in a bunch of paperwork. A day or so later I began paid training, which consisted largely of 8 or so hours spent in front of a computer watching videos and simple presentations. You get a workbook that you have to fill out at certain points. Getting you to run around the store and talk to the other employees in different positions was fun and helpful.

Interview Questions
  • I am a customer who wants to buy a toy for their pet. What does this do? [while holding up bizarre novelty product]   View Answer
No negotiation for my position

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roanoke, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at PetSmart.

I called in to the PM at which I wanted a job and asked to speak to the MOD (MANAGER ON DUTY). When he answered, I asked if they had any position openings and if so which ones. I found out they had an opening for the Cashier position, and so I asked if there was a time that I could come and apply. Nowadays, I would bring a Resume, but at the time I was in High School and I didn't think to do that. So I went in (looking professional) and asked the cashier (being friendly and polite) if she could point me in the direction of the MOD. She paged him up and we chatted for a bit about my knowledge, interests, schedule, etc. I will say that even now, years later, that Manager was a spectacular guy. He made me feel at ease and yet was very professional. After our talk, he asked me to fill out an application, but due to my experience with animal training, he also recommended that I apply for another position as well.

Have a few contacts prepared as references, they will call them. Ask the contacts if they are willing to be your reference BEFORE going into the interview or writing them down. (As a reference for some people, I feel less flustered if I know the call is coming, and I can already have things in mind to say about the person.)

Interview Questions
    • How long do you think you will be wanting to work for us? (Is this a summer job or a long term deal?)   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online, got a call a couple days later to set a time for an interview that we set after the weekend. I went in and was surprised that they asked pretty difficult questions that I wasn't prepared for, nor did I have the experience to give a proper answer (it would've been my first job). They had me answer questions one on one with two people, they switched places after the first finished. The reason I say the interview is average is because I wasn't prepared, but I could see it being an easy interview if you were prepared.

Interview Questions
    • It was a lot of 'describe a time you did this' type questions.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at PetSmart.

Went in for interview, she asked basic interview questions. Gave me 24hours to take the drug test. Went and did drug test, then got called back in for orientation couple days later

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

So I applied late night on 7-28-14 Got a call the next morning setting up an interview for 7/30/14 (today) and went from there. The interview process was really straightforward. I was told as well as from what is located on this site that it is normally a two step process, but they loved me and made an offer right then and there. I was asked questions such as why PetSmart, I simply explained that I have never had a bad experience shopping at PetSmart, and that I had always felt like part of the family. I wanted to extend that feeling towards others. I was also asked Why I had left my previous job, I stated that I had left my previous job because I had difficulties in managing my work schedule and my college schedule. I was honest and said I did not want to leave, but I couldn't take a major cut in hours.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was a role play question... (no not what your thinking dirty mind)

I was asked: Say I am a customer looking at dog leashes, and I look a little flustered how would you approach the situation?
        View Answer
    I started out by saying because of my previous experience in Customer Sales, Customer Service, and Cashier experience I feel like $10.75 Would be a good number. After a few minutes of negotiation I was offered $10.25

I however have 2 years of experience.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tujunga, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tujunga, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

Applied online and got a call back from the operations manager about two weeks later, went in that Friday and met with both the operations manger and store manager. Was a very easy interview (if that) both managers and I hit it off very good considering we share a love for animals. Was about 45 minutes in total including a couple scenario questions, work experience, and mainly just talking about our pets. I was offered the position on the spot and went in the same day for my drug test. If you sincerely love animals, you have nothing to worry about. If you're just there for a paycheck then look somewhere else.

Interview Questions
    • "how would you assist a customer that comes in with a rowdy puppy that is tearing up their shoes?"
      "how would you assist a customer that comes in determined to buy a muzzel for their dog that won't stop barking?"
        View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

I applied online. Got called 2 days later for an interview. Interviewed the next day. I was hired on the spot. Took the drug test. Then went in 3 days later to do paperwork and start training.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you did not agree with your boss.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation when a customer was not happy and what you did.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aiken, SC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aiken, SC (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Since moving to this area almost two years ago, I had previously gotten a bad impression of this PetSmart location. Cashiers openly use profanity, make fun of customers before they even walk out the door, or say almost nothing except for grumbling "Do you have a Pet Perks Card?". I figured that there were just a couple of bad apples, who would probably get fired or quit soon enough, and it could still be a decent place to work. I have previous experience at another pet store, other retail experience, and lengthy experience with dogs, snakes, and freshwater fish.

I applied multiple times for almost two years (while working at another store of a different company) and was finally called for an interview.

I was very disappointed. The store manager seemed as if he had just woken up from a nap. He was grouchy and appeared to be half-asleep. He clearly had not prepared for the interview at all. He asked me the same questions a couple of times - this appeared to lack of organization rather than some sort of technique. He basically criticized me for having a couple of short jobs in the past, despite me explaining that I had been a college student and my previous employers would not always work with my school schedule. I got the impression that was trying to "coast" through his day and get out of the place as soon as possible. I didn't feel as though he was genuinely enthusiastic about animals.

He said that they do second interviews, so if he didn't call me back the following week, I could go ahead and "pursue whatever other opportunities" I was looking into. He didn't call me. It was okay because I had no desire to work for him at that point.

Interview Questions
    • How can you show customers, *without speaking*, that you are ready to give them good service?   Answer Question
    • When you left your previous jobs, did you leave on good terms with all of the employers?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online and was contacted about two weeks later. I came in for one interview and it was very relaxed. I only spoke with one manager and we seemed to click right away. We chatted for about twenty minutes and then she basically told me I had the job and she would contact me in two business days. When she called me, we set up another appointment where I came in for a few minutes so she could ask me what I'd like to be paid and when I could do the drug test.

I did the drug test the following day but didn't hear back from PetSmart until nearly a week later when I was told I had the job.

Interview Questions
    • "Pretend I am a customer who appears to be looking for a dog collar, how would you approach me and what would you say? How would you help me find the item I need?"   View Answer
    I was asked what pay I'd accept and I should've asked for a little more. I suggested a certain amount and the manager actually upped the amount. I probably could have asked for a full dollar more an hour. Take a look at the Salaries reported here on GlassDoor for PetSmart, they're pretty accurate. Also, keep in mind your experience level and what you've been paid in the past for similar work.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lauderhill, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lauderhill, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in March 2014.

I signed up for the job on the website and they called me within a few days. The interview process occurred around tax season, so it took a little longer than usual (for me, it took about three weeks). The interview was set up in three parts. The first part was a group interview with the store manager. The next interview took place with the hiring manager. The last interview was an individual interview with the store manager. The group interview questions were pretty simple (ex. Why PetSmart?). The hiring manager wanted to know whether I'd be interested in cross-training into other areas (such as Pet Care) and whether I'd be comfortable handling crickets and fish. The last interview involved more details questions (like "How would handle a difficult customer?").

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you think your previous experience working in such a different field will apply to this job?   View Answer

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!