PetSmart

Getting the Interview

45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Waterloo, ON

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at PetSmart in November 2012.

Interview Details About a month or two after filling out the online application, I received a call asking me to come in for an in-person interview. The interviews took place in the manager's office near the front of the store.

At the first interview the Assistant Manager went through a battery of standard behavioural questions (lots of "Can you tell me a time when...?"). Of course, they also ask you about your experience with animals/pets--I know people who have gotten hired with very little experience, but it depends hugely on the position (e.g. it's not important for cashiers, but probably critical for Pet Care).

After passing that, I was called back for a second interview a day or two later, this time with the General Manager. This interview was less stressful and had less emphasis on formalities. She asked me to sell her something, and she tested to see what I would do if the customer asked me about a bizarre or unfamiliar product (the right answer is to read the product packaging with the customer, NOT to make something up).

Next step was to fill in a bunch of paperwork. A day or so later I began paid training, which consisted largely of 8 or so hours spent in front of a computer watching videos and simple presentations. You get a workbook that you have to fill out at certain points. Getting you to run around the store and talk to the other employees in different positions was fun and helpful.

Interview Question – I am a customer who wants to buy a toy for their pet. What does this do? [while holding up bizarre novelty product]   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for my position

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details I applied online and was contacted about two weeks later. I came in for one interview and it was very relaxed. I only spoke with one manager and we seemed to click right away. We chatted for about twenty minutes and then she basically told me I had the job and she would contact me in two business days. When she called me, we set up another appointment where I came in for a few minutes so she could ask me what I'd like to be paid and when I could do the drug test.

I did the drug test the following day but didn't hear back from PetSmart until nearly a week later when I was told I had the job.

Interview Question – "Pretend I am a customer who appears to be looking for a dog collar, how would you approach me and what would you say? How would you help me find the item I need?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked what pay I'd accept and I should've asked for a little more. I suggested a certain amount and the manager actually upped the amount. I probably could have asked for a full dollar more an hour. Take a look at the Salaries reported here on GlassDoor for PetSmart, they're pretty accurate. Also, keep in mind your experience level and what you've been paid in the past for similar work.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in June 2012.

Interview Details Got a call to interview, went in about 2 days later to interview with the Assistant General Manager, was a structured interview. Had to go back for a second interview with the General Manager and AGM, was asked the same questions with the GM and the AGM.

Interview Question – What challenge did you have at your previous job and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Aurora, IL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2011.

Interview Details I received a call to interview within the next few days. I was asked questions about my previous experience in retail, my experience with animals, and why I applied to PetSmart specifically. The interview also consisted of an impromptu creative test in which I was asked to find a dog toy to match the manager's request (the manager pretended to be a customer).

Interview Question – Asked what made PetSmart special (e.g., vs PetCo), also asked to retrieve a dog toy.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details For me, the interview process was simple. I knew some of the people who worked in the store. They introduced me to the manager. I applied at the store and was hired. Now though all applications must be done online. It wouldn't hurt though to make some "friends" in the store.

Interview Question – No big difficult questions.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details submitted application online, heard back two months later. after that process was speedy and I was working within two days. interview was on day but was somewhat long probably about an hour.

Interview Question – I was asked to sell a new puppy kit   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes they will start you out higher if you have experience

Temecula, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2010.

Interview Details Applied online in 2010, called in for an interview with the Store Manager and Operations manager within a few days and hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions (why should I hire you, etc...)   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details At the end, the store manager asks you basic questions. Hands you a product and will ask you to try to sell it to him

Tempe, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied online. I got a call back less than a week later. I got an interview the next day after the phone call. I only had 1 interview and "got hired" on the spot, but would have to pass a drug test that they promptly gave me the lab work for and I went and took care of that right away. The interview only lasted about 10 minutes.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult. He wanted to know why I wanted to work there, and for what schedules. He wanted to know what I was going to school for and what kind of experience I had with cashiering, customer service, and animals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well he offered me the job and I took it. We shook on it. My advice is to dress and look nice, smile, be prepared to answer questions, and go in there with experience in cashiering, customer service, and animal related work. I'm pretty sure that it's the animal related work that ultimately got me the job, because his face lit up when I told him about it.

Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at PetSmart in July 2012.

Interview Details The hiring process is rough for a cashier. Two interviews--one with the Operations Manager (Assistant Store Manager) and Store Manager. Neither are particularly difficult, but the first interview with the Ops Manager is a little more rough. They will ask you questions about specific instances like team work, etc. and then grade your response on a little sheet. The second interview with the Store Manager was pretty laid back for me, and it was definitely more "how I fit into the culture" rather than how my work style. You get asked things like, "sell me this pen" and in-depth questions about your pets.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They told me I'd be starting a little bit above minimum.

Interviews for Top Jobs at PetSmart

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart Cashier interview questions and advice. All 45 interview reviews posted anonymously by PetSmart employees and interview candidates.