PetSmart

Updated 13 Feb, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2012.

About a month or two after filling out the online application, I received a call asking me to come in for an in-person interview. The interviews took place in the manager's office near the front of the store.

At the first interview the Assistant Manager went through a battery of standard behavioural questions (lots of "Can you tell me a time when...?"). Of course, they also ask you about your experience with animals/pets--I know people who have gotten hired with very little experience, but it depends hugely on the position (e.g. it's not important for cashiers, but probably critical for Pet Care).

After passing that, I was called back for a second interview a day or two later, this time with the General Manager. This interview was less stressful and had less emphasis on formalities. She asked me to sell her something, and she tested to see what I would do if the customer asked me about a bizarre or unfamiliar product (the right answer is to read the product packaging with the customer, NOT to make something up).

Next step was to fill in a bunch of paperwork. A day or so later I began paid training, which consisted largely of 8 or so hours spent in front of a computer watching videos and simple presentations. You get a workbook that you have to fill out at certain points. Getting you to run around the store and talk to the other employees in different positions was fun and helpful.

Interview Questions
  • I am a customer who wants to buy a toy for their pet. What does this do? [while holding up bizarre novelty product]   View Answer
No negotiation for my position

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

Pretty easy, just asked basic questions like how many hours you can work a week. What type of behavior you have. Asked what type of pay I would like and asked what type of educational background I had.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

The manager I was interviewed by was very friendly and down to earth. We just talked and he asked me the basic questions that are required. It went very well.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

I applied online on 11/1 for a new store that was opening up. A few hrs later I got an email saying I passed the prescreening assessment. Then on 11/6 I got a call to set up an interview for 11/13. It was a fairly easy interview and took place in the dog training area. There was no "Describe a time when..." questions, but it was focused heavily on customer service. The whole interview took about 25min. On 11/18 I got the call asking if I was still interested, I have to complete the drug test within 24hr of the call and my starting pay is $8.50.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodinville, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodinville, WA (US)

interviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

Very pleasant and simple interview. Asked some questions about schooling, available hours, and some answers from the application. There were a few questions along the lines of "Describe a time..." involving difficult decisions, a time you didn't have an answer, and others. This was my first job interview, and I was offered the position on the spot. My manager said that her other managers trust her, so I must have made a good first impression. I just went in, explained why I wanted to work with animals and it went well. Just did the drug testing a few days ago and should head in for training soon.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you didn't have the answer to a question. Describe a time you had a new experience with a customer.   Answer Question
    Starting me off a little over minimum wage, paying $9.50 (minimum wage in WA is $9.32) and was told I will receive increases with time. This is my first job so it works for me.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

I called in to the PM at which I wanted a job and asked to speak to the MOD (MANAGER ON DUTY). When he answered, I asked if they had any position openings and if so which ones. I found out they had an opening for the Cashier position, and so I asked if there was a time that I could come and apply. Nowadays, I would bring a Resume, but at the time I was in High School and I didn't think to do that. So I went in (looking professional) and asked the cashier (being friendly and polite) if she could point me in the direction of the MOD. She paged him up and we chatted for a bit about my knowledge, interests, schedule, etc. I will say that even now, years later, that Manager was a spectacular guy. He made me feel at ease and yet was very professional. After our talk, he asked me to fill out an application, but due to my experience with animal training, he also recommended that I apply for another position as well.

Have a few contacts prepared as references, they will call them. Ask the contacts if they are willing to be your reference BEFORE going into the interview or writing them down. (As a reference for some people, I feel less flustered if I know the call is coming, and I can already have things in mind to say about the person.)

Interview Questions
    • How long do you think you will be wanting to work for us? (Is this a summer job or a long term deal?)   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online, got a call a couple days later to set a time for an interview that we set after the weekend. I went in and was surprised that they asked pretty difficult questions that I wasn't prepared for, nor did I have the experience to give a proper answer (it would've been my first job). They had me answer questions one on one with two people, they switched places after the first finished. The reason I say the interview is average is because I wasn't prepared, but I could see it being an easy interview if you were prepared.

Interview Questions
    • It was a lot of 'describe a time you did this' type questions.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairless Hills, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairless Hills, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

Applied online, it took about a week or so to receive a call. Came in for an interview that day. Because I had been applying to several different places, I sort of forgot about Petsmart which is why I didn't call them first, just to check in. But the entire process was professional yet casual. The hiring manager only really asked two work related questions. The rest of the interview was just pleasant small talk about school and that sort of thing, I guess just to see that I was a nice person who could communicate effectively. Then, he told me right then that he wanted to offer me a position, and I left that day to go take my drug test.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

Went in for interview, she asked basic interview questions. Gave me 24hours to take the drug test. Went and did drug test, then got called back in for orientation couple days later

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

So I applied late night on 7-28-14 Got a call the next morning setting up an interview for 7/30/14 (today) and went from there. The interview process was really straightforward. I was told as well as from what is located on this site that it is normally a two step process, but they loved me and made an offer right then and there. I was asked questions such as why PetSmart, I simply explained that I have never had a bad experience shopping at PetSmart, and that I had always felt like part of the family. I wanted to extend that feeling towards others. I was also asked Why I had left my previous job, I stated that I had left my previous job because I had difficulties in managing my work schedule and my college schedule. I was honest and said I did not want to leave, but I couldn't take a major cut in hours.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was a role play question... (no not what your thinking dirty mind)

I was asked: Say I am a customer looking at dog leashes, and I look a little flustered how would you approach the situation?

View Answer
    I started out by saying because of my previous experience in Customer Sales, Customer Service, and Cashier experience I feel like $10.75 Would be a good number. After a few minutes of negotiation I was offered $10.25

I however have 2 years of experience.