Pearson

180 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Production Coordinator Interview

Production Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details Consisted of a telephone interview with HR then and 1:1 interview with the hiring manager. Had to complete a personality test before the telephone interview. Telephone interview was fairly standard and 10 min in length and at the conclusion of the telephone interview I was invited to an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It was very casual and mostly conversational with regard to my background.

Interview Question – What are some of your past experiences that you feel will help you in this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – non-negotiable salary.

Scrum Master Interview

Scrum Master
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pearson in June 2014.

Interview Details I interviewed with Pearson over the span of two months (April - June 2014). I'm unsure whether the ball was dropped by Pearson or the recruiter who I worked with, but, spoiler alert, I never heard back from anyone.

My first phone screen was immediately after speaking with the recruiter on a Friday afternoon about the position at Pearson. I spoke with a Program Manager (PM) about my general experience and the project I would be joining. The PM seemed less than enthusiastic about the current situation at Pearson, as they have recently gone through a re-org and some key team roles were missing. The PM was great to talk to and I was eager to hear more.

The next phone screen took place the following Tuesday with a Hiring Manager (HM). The HM asked a lot of technical questions, which were fine and I was able to answer. The HM did not leave me with the best impression and seemed like he was uninterested in speaking with me in the first place. The phone call lasted about twenty minutes and while I did not get the best feeling from the HM, I was excited about the project I could be joining.

Over the next month, my in-person interview was rescheduled five times. That is not an exaggeration. Without going into explicit details, most of which I am still unsure of, I eventually was able to secure an in-person interview with Pearson.

The office is very nice and modern, located downtown in NYC. I spoke with three people, individually, of varying roles (Project Manager, QA, Sr. VP) and all left me with a good impression of the project and Pearson. I felt really good about the interviews and spoke with the recruiter immediately when I was finished and expressed interest in the position.

After following up twice weekly with the recruiter for three weeks, I was left with no decision and no feedback from Pearson. To me, this is unacceptable after two months and being rescheduled five times. Again, I'm unsure where the disconnect happened, but this is very unprofessional. I was very excited about the project and I'm sorry things turned out they way they did.

Note to contractors: You will need to provide your own laptop if hired.

Interview Question – Describe how you dealt with a difficult situation where there was disagreement about a feature or functionality   Answer Question

Enrollment Advisor Interview

Enrollment Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pearson in July 2014.

Interview Details The process took three weeks. There was a phone interview and two rounds . One with hr and other with director.They only hired for three positions out of 29 people.Apparently why I didn't get it.

Interview Question – The questions wasn't difficult but be very honest and research about the company before you go.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Project Manager Interview

Senior Technical Project Manager
Boston, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Pearson in October 2010.

Interview Details I came in through a referral and interviewed the hiring manager and two peers. I interviewed in October and was told that they wanted to make an offer but by then the requisition had been frozen till the end of the year. It wasn't until mid-January the next year that I received and accepted an offer. I started then end of January.

Interview Question – There were no surprises. The most difficult was the reason I was looking to leave my current job.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Tech Support Specialist Interview

Tech Support Specialist
Sandy, UT (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pearson in June 2014.

Interview Details A company called Signature Consultants out of Boston, MA called me they did a phone interview. I then was asked to fill out paperwork with my SSN for a background check, which I feel is not necessary, unless offered a position first. And in my opinion should be illegal as per to avoid scams. But then I was pestered by the recruiter the day of, and right before the interview. She told me that the interviewer would ask me the following questions. 1. How to make a PB& J sandwich 2. What are two strengths and weaknesses? 3. How to find an IP address, or explain it to someone who doesn't know. She then said that they are looking for people with alot of "personality". But when I got there, the interviewer did not ask me any of those questions. He just said "Oh it looks like you have a alot of technical experience based on your resume." What hours can you work? "This job is more customer service orientated, rather than technical". " I have a good feeling". "Do you have any questions for me?" And I said that's it?. I was expecting more questions, and a tech test. He then said no. "We are looking to hire pretty quick'. And I added that I was available anytime for training. He then walked me out the front door. And told the recruiter that they filled the position.

Interview Question – I feel like if the position was more customer service related he could have asked me some customer service scenario and/or have me do a mock customer service phone call. I feel like he honestly took one look at me,and discriminated against the way I look and decided not to hire me!   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details 5 interviews with teammates and Director. Individual meetings with each. Overall basic questions for each team outing their responsibility and how they would work with the PR/Community Manager. Nothing out of the order. Would ask to pitch a specific product or give examples of past media/community work. Successes/ challenges of past work.

Interview Question – Very standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to go back and negotiate to an even better offer than initially offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer
San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview Details Received an email a few days after applying online and set up a Skype interview. It was a 30 minute technical interview with the senior engineer. I was asked to solve two Java related problems in regards to QA.

Interview Question – I have college experience with Java and do not memorize specific Java tools and I was asked to solve questions using these standards. Although I knew how to solve the problems, I was unable to answer them due to specific Java related knowledge.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

People Development Interview

People Development
Upper Saddle River, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pearson in January 2010.

Interview Details Very easy and laid back interview. Was able to totally be myself and was relaxed. I felt an instant connection and knew I was going to be offered the job.

Interview Question – Honestly, nothing.   Answer Question

Temporary Project Manager Interview

Temporary Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details Two interviews, one was an initial phone interview, asking basic questions such as my name and how serious I was about the position. In the second interview, I was asked several behavioral questions.

Negotiation Details – They ended up giving more then originally planned.

Test Scorer Interview

Test Scorer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Pearson in April 2014.

Interview Details Elaborate web site form to fill out. They don't want your resume, only proof that you are a college grad. They want to know if you are honest and play well with others. You receive a conditional offer that will be confirmed once they have proof you're a college grad and a citizen, and appear in person for a photo for your tag. It's a secure site, so you will beam in everywhere. No phone activity in the black box area.

Interview Question – They will want examples of cooperative work, dealing with situations where you were asked to do something iffy, etc.. This is all web sit entry. You will have to repeat it for the off-site scoring, if you apply for both on-site and remote location, so save your answers in a file somewhere!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Flat rate--$10.00 US an hour for training, $12.00 US an hour for scoring, slight (pennies) incentive over a certain number of tests scored a day, if the rate lasts a week. If you fall under that rate, you lose the bonus for the pay period. This was my first contract--they may have wiggle room on later contracts,

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!