Pearson

2.9

Developmental Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in August 2013.

I was invited to an interview at the office. The first one, I was interviewed by the manager of the DEs and a senior program manager. They gave me a very confusing copy-editing test, vocabulary test that got progressively harder, and then asked me to complete a personality test. Then, at the second interview I met a VP of cross media division. At the third interview, I met the first two people again. In all, the process took about four six weeks from application to hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in ten years from now? Tell us about yourself (very open ended)   Answer Question
    They offered me a job. They said that two of us hired at the same time were given the same salary offer. Basically, I accepted without negotiating. If you don't like the salary, you should negotiate up front. They do not give raises at Pearson unless you are being promoted, and you get a small bit to compensate for inflation, but it doesn't match inflation, really. The vacation they give is a bit skimpy I think, it was 2 weeks only but they give 5 sick days and 5 personal days so you can use the personal days as vacation days if you don't use them. Some of the senior people there who have been there say 20+ years have like 10 weeks of vacation, you only get an extra week after 5 years of service, then every 3 years afterwards, or something like that. This company has a tendency to lowball new hires. They have had low sales recently, and massive layoffs, so they let go of the high paid senior editors and then can hire say two replacements for the one they let go.

Production Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

Consisted of a telephone interview with HR then and 1:1 interview with the hiring manager. Had to complete a personality test before the telephone interview. Telephone interview was fairly standard and 10 min in length and at the conclusion of the telephone interview I was invited to an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It was very casual and mostly conversational with regard to my background.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your past experiences that you feel will help you in this position?   View Answer
    non-negotiable salary.

Sales Interview

The entire process seems very disorganized and takes way too long. They expect you to interview for several hours at a time, which is hard when you have a full time job.

Interview Questions

I was offered another job and accepted.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pearson.

Process is exceedingly Slow, SLOW, S.L.O.W... unresponsive. Executives late to meetings. Executives unprepared, had not even read resume prior to video conference interview. No response to Thank You notes. Lack of follow-up.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers asked routine, rudimentary questions, almost seemed distracted or maybe uninterested...possibly just a necessary external interview when an internal candidate was already selected?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

I was contacted by a recruiter who'd seen my resume floating around and she connected me with the Editor I came to work for. The interviewing process was seamless--they were both very impressed with previous editorial experience. The editor was unexpectedly enthusiastic about previous sales experience, as he felt EAs should transition into sales positions.

Interview Questions
    • The editor I interviewed with was very interested in previous sales experience, almost trying to sell me on a Sales career before I entered Editorial.   Answer Question
    There was very little wiggle room as far as compensation packages go.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in January 2015.

Process was quick but disappointing in the end.

I applied online and received an email from HR within a couple days to set up an HR screening.
    He didn’t realize that we actually spoke before when I applied to a similar job several months earlier in
    which I never received an interview. He then quickly set me up this time with a phone interview with the
    Creative Director who is located in Florida.

Had a phone interview with the Creative Director two days later after talking with HR. Great conversation, easy to talk to. She explained in detailed how the organization is set up, how the team works, what the interview process would be like, and even gave a rough estimate of a start date if selected. She then mentioned the next step is to take a “test”. I was nervous at first but soon found out it was a mini project that I had to do.

I found this much more easier than answering a bunch stupid textbook quiz questions. Instead I was emailed a zip file that contained a complex Photoshop PSD file and some brief instructions that said I had to create a functional web page using only HTML, CSS, and Javascript that looks exactly like the PSD file. I had the weekend to do it. I actually had a lot of fun doing it, it was challenging and fun at the same time. I zipped my code and emailed it to HR.

I got scheduled for an in person interview with the hiring manager at their Glenview, IL office the following week, so I assumed someone reviewed and approved of my project work. The Glenview office is an eye sore. It’s under construction, portions of the building have no lights, old desks and tables folded up against the wall. He showed me where I would be sitting , it’s a big open area with a bunch of empty cubicles that planned to get filled in the near future.

The in person interview I thought went well, but apparently it went too well. The hiring manager seemed surprised to find out how much extensive programming and corporate experience I have. Although the job description was titled Web Developer and it did mentioned the typical languages like HTML, CSS, and Javascript, it also mentioned WordPress. Apparently what they are looking for is someone with 80% WordPress and only 20% actual programming. I’m just the opposite, I have about 80% programming and only 20% exposure to Content Management Systems, none with WordPress. He didn’t even mentioned the project that I done, I’m not even sure if he was even aware of it. He did however mentioned that this position has very little coding involved.

I received a personalized rejection notice two days later, which to me says they weren’t really looking for a Senior Web Developer, they were really looking for a Junior WordPress publisher.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions, just a design project that had to be done in a short amount of time.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

First round is phone interview. The guy asked several questions about Java features and my resume. The second round is onsite. I was still asked question on my resume. Nothing too weird or difficult.

Enrollment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in December 2014.

The hiring and interview process was well-structured. More specifically, I was contacted by an HR Representative who conducted my first over the phone interview, I received an email congratulating me on a successful phone screening interview and provided me details in regard to the second in-person interview, after the interview I was contacted via telephone to discuss my potential job offer. Overall, I was impressed with Pearson's professionalism. I cant wait to start!

Interview Questions
    • How will you utilize your professional and educational success to help Pearson continue to be a leader in the Education Industry?   Answer Question
    Any great relationship is founded on compromise. Be willing to compromise salary for the opportunity to work for a great company. Bottom line: the salary is more than competitive within the industry.

Sales Representative Interview

Hard to reach people within the company. Never heard response after second interview. The interview process was lengthy. It took over three months when it was all said and done.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

Phone interview followed by a in person interview. Direct manager was located in different state. Never met her face-to-face until after being hired. Met with the VP. The interview process was straight to the point. No fluff.

Interview Questions
    There is an option to negotiate.