Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014
Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.8

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cotonou (Benin)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online. The process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question
    There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 11 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2011.

Thorough and enjoyable (as much as an interview can be "enjoyable!"). They asked comprehensive questions, and gave me a clear picture of what has proven to be an excellent job.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any such questions; at the time, there were not knowledge-quiz style questions.   Answer Question
    Federal position, no "negotiation" per se. I am happy with my salary.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2011.

After completing an online application form, complete with essays and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will be contacted by a recruiter who will schedule an in-person interview. Should the recruiter approve the applicant, they will be nominated for a global region and sector. While awaiting an invitation to join a specific country and program as pertains to their nomination, the nominee must complete extensive medical examinations (for which they will be nominally reimbursed). Upon receiving an invitation, the nominee will have 10 days in which to decide whether or not they will accept.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge you have faced in your work life and the strategies you employed while striving to overcome it.   Answer Question

OMS Interview

Very thorough. Background check required

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

-Submit online app
    -Do onsite interview
    -App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
    -Do medical & admin paperwork
    -Contacted from placement desk
    -Final placement interview
    -Invitation issued

Interview Questions
    No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.