Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated 19 Sep, 2014
Updated 19 Sep, 2014

2.7

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

online application, interview with recruiter who nominates you, extensive medical process, after completion you will get a invitation to a country. (this process has recently changed, you also now get to chose possible countries you want to go to)

Interview Questions
    • What is a cultural difference you've experienced while living in the States?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

The Peace Corps Response interview process was smooth and quick. Since Response is for people who have already served I think the recruiter assumes you already have an idea of what to expect. I applied on a Friday and the following week I was contacted to set up a phone interview. The experience can vary depending on the recruiter but my experience was fast and easy. From the time I applied to the day I left was less than three months.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was relaxed and conversational and there weren't any surprising questions.   Answer Question

Business Advisor & Educator Interview

Hiring and interviewing with the Peace Corps is rather long and arduous, although, recently the organization has implemented a new format in hopes to streamline and expedite the overall process. I, however, cannot speak to the new procedures. Essentially begins with filling out a lot of information online (nothing new here), there is an initial interview that is very basic, more of an informal discussion to get to know you and how prepared you may be to live abroad in a foreign setting. There will be an additional interview, medical check-up, FBI background check...essentially, you must really want to be a Peace Corps Volunteer.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, the interview was very straight forward. Most questions were centered around leaving your home and living in a foreign country.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, you accept all presented terms or you decline.

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Nonexistent

Community Health Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Basic standard questions about past international experiences, educational background, interpersonal skills, and scenarios you would encounter at your site. Very much a conversation and the recruiter does a great job easing you into the convo.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with conflicts that may arise in your organization i.e. witnessing corruption or theft within the staff?   Answer Question

Very Standard
    interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times
    It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions
    • Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Peace Corps Medical Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Transparent and well organized. Reference from DOS very useful- I worked as locum tenens doctor at the US Embassy. Had several visits at the clinic I worked from DOS, area PCMO from Senegal, PC NP from local post. The whole process was compressed in 3 days but spread out over a period of more than 6 months.

Interview Questions
    Brief, salary had fixed rates, benefits on the other hand where flexible.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!