Party City Interview Questions

Updated 21 Oct, 2014
Updated 21 Oct, 2014

2.0

Halloween Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Party City.

They will usually take just about anyone as Halloween approaches because they just need bodies to fill the store. The earlier you get hired, the "better" the job because you will have had time to be trained on register. Usually they only have young girls work the register and the guys are in the back pulling/running costumes. Expect minimum wage and to basically be put on the floor to do nothing but clean for a few hours. They hire a lot for cleaning to avoid OT.

Interview was basically checking to make sure you look okay and can speak English.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Party City.

I had a phone interview that went wonderful and was set up with the hiring DM. That interview went great and then was set up with my potential DM and Regional Manager. It started out okay until the questions turned into everything numbers and as if I were being interigated. The RM was mean mugging me the whole time as if I should be saying sorry for something I never did. It was the most difficult interview I have ever experienced. Maybe they should step back a realize that they are hiring a person not a robot. Or realize that I was applying for a GM not a DM.

Interview Questions
    • If you were the owner of your current employer, what 3 things would you change?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Party City in October 2014.

I applied online on their website and got a call back about three or four days later. Manager called me back and we set up a time for the interview. I got there about 10 minutes early and I was super nervous. The manager called me in and was super nice. The interview lasted about ten minutes. I didn't prepare as much as I should've but it didn't go as bad as I though it would.

Interview Questions
    • mostly basic questions, some situation questions, "What does good customer service mean to you
      ?"

Seasonal Halloween Interview

Applied online and got a call a week later towards the end of September. The interview was about 10 minutes and pretty basic, mainly concerning my availability and a couple scenario questions. Most of the new people were my age, either in high school or college.

Interview Questions
    • Some Halloween related ones like "How would you decorate a yard for Halloween?" and "What does customer service mean to you?"   Answer Question
    None, it's minimum wage

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Party City.

I applied online and the process took about two days. If you get a call back you pretty much have the job. The interview is very easy no difficult questions. They basically ask about your work experience and your availability.

Interview Questions

The pay was too low and there were no set hours. You could be only working 10 hours and get paid minimum wage. The banners outside the store are lies. The pay is not great and there is no flexible scheduling. There is no direct deposit for seasonal workers

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Party City in September 2014.

I walked in, asked for an application on Tuesday, it was very basic, talked to the assistant manager, asked some question and got called the next day to set up an interview Saturday.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gastonia, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gastonia, NC (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Party City in September 2014.

I saw a now hiring sign on the door, walked in asked a cashier for an application, filled it out in store and turned it in the same day, i've had two previous jobs (subway and mcalister's deli) so i put those down, i also put i have excellent customer service and communication skills, i received a call about an hour later asking could i come in the next day for an interview (i was informed that it was going to be a group interview), i agreed (the interview was at 3pm) (it was myself and 3 girls) he started off with yes/no questions and then asked us questions like what would our previous employer say about us?, describe with customer service means to us etc. then he said he was going to talk to us 1on1 so i was second, he asked why should we hire you and not the others? my response was "bc i'm always reliable, i listed my skills, said that i look for a role model in my manager to teach me and eventually end up where they are and so on. i shook his hand and left and about two hours later received a job offer.

Interview Questions
    a week off for christmas cruise, easy process.

Halloween Part-time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Party City in September 2014.

Applied online and received a call a month later, got a call and went to the interview didn't take long only 15 minutes. I was asked why I wanted to work there, what did I dress up for halloween last year and if you can work well with customers. Was hired on the spot

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for party city?
      What did you do last halloween?
      Mainly questions about customer service

Halloween Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Party City in September 2014.

I filled out my application online over the summer and walked in the store the beginning of august but at that time they had not started prepping for the Halloween season yet so they told me to come back in at the beginning of September. During the second week of September I walked in again asking for a manager but she wasn't there but another manager said they were making calls that very week so I waited about a day or two and sure enough the call for an interview came. For the interview I wore dress shoes, dress pants, and a collard shirt with a tie. Walking in dressed up I was greeted by an employee and she asked me if I wanted to see a manager. Unfortunately the manager had just left but would be back shortly so they said to take my time and walk around the store and enjoy myself. Eventually the manager who wasn't doing the hiring took me to the back and was very nice and asked me to fill out an availability sheet. During that process employees would drift in and out and they were all having a great time. The hiring manager came in about five minutes after that and the interview started. She went on about what party city is about, their job, how they differentiate from other retail stores, and so on and so forth. She asked me three questions not in succession.
    1. What do you think good customer service is?
    2. Do you have any questions for me?
    3. Would you like to be a Halloween Sales Associate for Party City?

Interview Questions
    • Understand good customer service but be prepared for any other interview questions. I was surprised when I didn't get asked much else.   View Answer
    No negotiation, flat rate of $9.00 per hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hyde Park, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hyde Park, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Party City in September 2014.

I applied online. A few days later, I got a call from one of the managers, for an interview a few days later. I got to the interview a few minutes early. One of the managers took me to the back room, noticed that I worked at a party city while in college for the past 2 years. He didn't ask me any questions, more like a conversation. The only questions I got asked were my avaliblity and if I would mind being on a latter. He told one of the other managers I was really outgoing and sweet and was going to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • What did I previously do while working at Party City?
      What was my favorite part?
      Do you mind going on a later?
        Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Started me at $8.50.